Acne Community
10+ Years of Acne

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

10+ Years of Acne

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. I really need some advice and some insight into my acne problem. I'm currently 28 years old and have had acne since I was 14.  At first with puberty, I had it primarily in the T-Zone (forehead, nose, chin). I used otc creams and topicals to treat it. Well, when I was 16, I didn't have a period for 8 months (to my joy). My mother then took me to the GYN and he told me I had a few ovarian cysts and put me on ortho-tricyclen. I stayed on the pill till I was 22 and while it kept my acne fairly under control, it never eliminated it. I always had at least 5 breakouts on my face. The older I got, my acne changed and I no longer have it on my T-zone, but rather have it really bad along my jawline and cheeks. I have HORRIFIC oily skin, large pores in places, and to make matters worse, over the past couple years have been getting very fine blonde hairs growing on my chin, and the sides of my face (primarily all around the acne).  I have been off of the pill for about a year and a half, because I was concerned about being on it long-term. Well, my face is worse now than it's ever been, and as crazy as it sounds, the acne is annoying...and trust me there is A LOT of it, but the hair thing is the worst. I have had blood test done to test my thyroid, glucose, hormones, you name it I've had it. All of the doctors keep telling me that everything is normal. I went to a dermatologist and she put me on a heap of antibiotics. They did nothing but give me a yeast infection.  My issue is, I am positive this is hormonal. The oily skin, the hair growth, the fact that the hair growth is predominantly around the acne...it makes sense. The Dr.'s said that all I need to do is go back on the pill, which I agree, however I know that won't make a huge difference. It will decrease the acne by maybe 50%. That's it. I was concerned about the cyst issue from the past and thought maybe I had PCOS. It wouldn't be a big shock, because diabetes runs rampant in my family; both types 1 & 2.  I was told that they would not treat me for it, because I'm not overweight and my menstrual cycles are regular. So here I sit. They tell me I don't have PCOS and my hormones are fine, yet I have hair growth that started in the past 2 years and a face full of all types of pimples. I am definitely going to ask my GYN (different one, my old one moved away) to go back on ortho, but I'm considering asking about spiro. I'm not sure what to do though because he said my hormones were normal. I also don't understand how doing 1 single hormone test during 1 time of the month could be representative of a problem, but I'm not a doctor so I could be wrong. What should I do and what could this decade battle w/ acne be coming from. On another note, one thing that REALLY baffles me is that I have 2 sisters...neither whom get acne..ever. Perfect porcelin complexions. I'm just lost.