Acne Community
8 month old with severe eczema

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

8 month old with severe eczema

My son started to have a dry patch of skin here or there around 2 months of age.  By 4 months, he mainly had these dry, red, patches on his face and top of shoulders.  By 5 months his face seemed to have the most of this eczema.  We had been seeing his pediatrician who prescribed a steroid cream.  When things got worse and I had brought him in with spots all over his body, we got an oral steroid.  During his 5th month of age, we were referred to a dermatologist who said it was eczema and gave us another steoid cream and bathing tips.  He seemed to get better.  He still had patches on his face that were slightly pink.

Month 6 and 7 were HORRIBLE!  After we had got off of the steroid from the derm. his face really flared up.  He had some patches on his body, but they were  never red or flared.  I was told just to use the cream by the derm. but I took him into the ped. where we got another oral steroid.  That did not clear it and it came raging back, even on the last day of steroid.  It would crust, ooze, and then scab over and peel.  And this was just on his face.  Finally, one morning I couldn't take it anymore, called the doctor.  For the first time in 5 months of dealing with this, they prescribed him, amoxicilin, acyclovir, and a steroid cream.   I did not use the steroid, but instead, just tried the medicine to see if it would clear.  At this point, I was convinced he had an infection.  Within 24 hours there was a difference.  After a week on those meds. he was completely clear without one drop of steroid!  

Three days after stopping the amoxicilin it began to come back, but just on the face.  I am wondering what this could mean?  We had a checkup yesterday where all they told me was that eczema was hard and he will flare up from time to time.  I feel like I have never got to control his skin, and the only thing that gave me hope was the medicine.  Now, I feel they are tired of seeing him and not doing anything to research what this could mean.

He was tested for zinc deficiency, thyroid, wheat, peanut, egg, and milk allergy.  Zinc level was fine, thyroid was fine, not allergic to egg or milk and scored a 2 for wheat and peanut.  Please help!
More allergy testing then! I have had eczema my whole life and have never known my trigger. Thats the key...finding the allergy. Demand more testing.