Acne Community
Accutane, Breaking out already!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Accutane, Breaking out already!

I have been completed one six month course of accutane when I was 12, YES, 12 years old! And a second five month course which I finished up in Feburary (I am now 19). After my first course of accutane, I had WONDERFUL results, I didn't have a pimple on my face for nearly 5-6 years. However, last summer my acne totally came back out of no where. Now that I am 5 months off of my 2nd course, my face is beginning to break out again. I don't have any cystic pimples, but i have tons of little clogged pores and lots of little zits. Since it's only been 5 months and not 5 years like 1st course, I am kind of worried. Is this a sign that it will only begin to get worse again? Also, I am planning to have microdermabrasion done within the next month for my mild scars and I am wondering if this will do more harm than good for my skin if it is breaking out.
Hi. I relapsed after both my courses of accutane. A third course of accutane remains your best hope of long term remission from acne. Alternatively, oral antibiotics which were previously ineffective may work after accutane treatment.
I would leave the microdermabrasion for now, an oral retinoid like Differin will help with both the active acne and the scarring.
Eloise x