Acne Community
Accutane & tetracyclines
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Accutane & tetracyclines

I have been on Accutane for 3 months for chronic folliculitis. My doctor has recently perscribed tetracycline for a couple of inflamed cysts I currently have. I know that it is recommended that tetracyclines and accutane not be taken together. I held off of the antibiotic for as long as I could, but my cysts were not getting any better so I started taking it- only for about 4 days, then I developed a cold, and have pressure in my head, headachs, nausea, and occasional dizziness. My question is, are these symptoms most likely cold related, or is there a fair possibility that it could be the two medicines reacting? I know that it is supposed to be rare for the medicines to react that way, but should I worry?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
309783_tn?1271961829
I am surprised that your doctor prescribed tetracyclines when you are on accutane. These two are contra-indicated and must not be taken concurrently. Taking both can increase the risk of high pressure in the skull leading to headaches, nausea and vomitting. Accutane can take up to 24 weeks to work, so please be patient. Do not take tetracyclines at the same time and seek medical attention about your symptoms. Please let me know that you're ok. Loiloi x
Blank
My doctor did not perscribe the tetracycline to help for cosmetic reasons, the cysts were very swollen and very painful. I believe he chose that medication because I have responded so well to it in the past.
Blank
309783_tn?1271961829
I appreciate that, but the two are contra-indicated and if antibiotics were required during accutane treatment non-tetracyclines should be used. As a health care worker i can only advise you not to take tetracyclines with accutane due to the potential serious side effects of pressure on the brain.
Loiloi x
Blank
my doctor recomended tetracycline for the treatment of roshasa. I have been on it for about 3 months. My face has cleared up but it seems that my sense of smell is no longer working. Could it be related to the use of this drug?
Blank
my doctor recomended tetracycline for the treatment of roshasa. I have been on it for about 3 months. My face has cleared up but it seems that my sense of smell is no longer working. Could it be related to the use of this drug?
Blank
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Acne Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...