Acne Community
Accutane 2nd treatment & still nothing*testosterone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

I was on accutane for 16 weeks a few years ago..it neither cleared my face up nor did it show any improvement.  I've never had severe acne, just moderate-but enough as to where it requires me to utilize the whole concealer/makeup deal daily.  In between accutane treatments nothing else works, and even before that first treatment I had tried everything under the sun for the past 6 or 7 years.  I am now back on it for my 2nd go-around and am finishing up my second month...still nothing.  Same old whiteheads every day and the little black guys on my nose.  I am a bodybuilder, (natural) who does not take any type of supplementation (testosterone more or less).  I have always been extremely muscular naturally with, I am assuming, a high testosterone count which allows me to be competitive in this sport.  I also have a ton of hair on my head and on my face-it's so gross!  I was wondering if there is some sort of correlation between the testosterone/female/acne/facial hair...and what it is?  Just want this gone. I feel like I've never left adolescence!
Hi. You're right, high levels of androgens such as testosterone can lead to acne and excess hair. You don't say specifically what other treatments you've tried, but have you taken an anti-androgen contraceptive pill like Yasmin or Diane35? Or a non-hormonal anti-androgen medicine such as Spironolactone? These can be taken at the same time as Accutane so if you are not already on them, ask your doctor about starting them.
Don't give up on Accutane though, do finish the course, I had to take it twice too.
I use Dermablend by Vichy foundation and concealer, it is the best brand for me. I also like La Roche-Posay. Estee Lauder and Clinique both also make full coverage foundations.
Eloise.