Acne Community
Accutane and Vitamin A
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Accutane and Vitamin A

I've read that you shouldn't be taking large amounts of Vitamin A when on Accutane. Does this mean I should eliminate it from my diet as well. I typically eat a portion of spinach salad almost everyday which contains a significant amount of Vitamin A. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Related Discussions
-6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
309783_tn?1271961829
It is fine to eat foods containing vitamin A as long as you don't exceed dietary guidelines (the amount of vitamin A  contained and the recommended daily amount will be on the label of most foods). Vitamin A supplements are contra-indicated when on accutane therapy as they will increase the patient's side effects. Loiloi x
Blank
One of the many things that your body does that is amazing is convert provitamin-A to active vitamin-A.  Most of the foods that we eat are provitamin-A. I've been warned to avoid large amounts of ACTIVE Vitamin A this includes Liver (which stores active vitamin A) and whole milk. Spinach is an amazing food and has the preconverted provitamin A. I have not heard anything about avoiding fruits and vegetables which are frequently suggested for cholesterol diets.  
Blank
I wouldn't worry about Vitamin A in your foods.  It is a natural Vitamin A, and if it is something you were doing before you started therapy, and as long as your diet doesn't change, then it is already taken into account with your Accutane dosage.  I would, however, avoid any vitamin A in your multivitamins. A good vitamin to try is www.BtoZinc.com, it was specifically designed for Accutane users and does not have Vitamin A.  I just ordered some for myself since I will be strating up Accutane treatmetns again this month.

Lila
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Acne Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...