Acne Community
Accutane and joint pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Accutane and joint pain

I have been on 40mg/day of Accutane for six weeks. Of course, I've had the usual side effects (dryness, depression, lethargy.) My main problem now is severe joint pain. I lift weights 5x per week. I don't want to stop working out, but my right elbow and both shoulders are killing me! Has anyone had experience with this and can you recommend medicine or treatment for the joint pain? I employ high intensity training (low reps, hight weight) but can change my lifting to lighter weight, with higher weights. But I can not stop lifting. Any advice will be appreciated.
Joint pain is a common side effect to Accutane.  You should tell your doctor about it and have him reduce the dose of the drug.  Hopefully that will get rid of the pain and you won't need to take any additional meds to fight it.  Good luck!
Ah, and I wanted to add that the fact that it's a common side effect DOES NOT mean that you should be experiencing it.  You should not be having joint pain - please see your doctor about it.  Thanks! :)
I just came back from the doctors and he said if i experience joint pain its because im not drinking enough water.
you should be drinking about a gallon a day.
I start the program in a month! i hope it works
I took Accutane in the summer of 2001and have not been well since, even after stopping the drug.  I never had joint pain prior to taking it.  I was a very healthy person.  The pain began in my lower back and progressed to all my joints and entire back. When my dermatologist learned of my problems, she stopped the Accutane immediately.  She stated back pain was a side effect.  I read all the info before taking Accutane, and it never described these symptoms in 2001.  When I was 30 years old, I had back surgery and it destroyed my back.  A doctor at Emory University saw my pre-op MRI and determined I should never have had surgery in the first place.  I believe with all my heart that the Accutane is the cause of my problems.  I have debilitating pain every day.  I have been checked for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.  Both were negative.  I saw a Rheumatologist, and he remembers this being a problem in the past.
My daughter took accutane for about 4 months.  She was 14 at the time.  Now, at 17, she has severe juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.  She is in pain constantly.  Her hands looks like claws, and on some days she cannot bend her fingers completely.  some days, she cannot walk.  some days I have to wash her hair for her, and even aplly her deodorant because she is unable to raise her arms due to shoulder pain.  Joint pain and swelling began immediately after she started Accutane.  Her dermatologist lowered the dosage and told us the side effect was temporary.  She finished her course, and her skin is gorgeous now.  The cost, however, has been devastating.  Her doctors tell us Accutane did not cause the arthritis.  I wonder...
Hi. Accutane is prescribed for severe acne which has not responded to an adequate (normally 2 years) course of oral antibiotics and topical treatment. It is not intended to be given as a first line treatment, and is not indicated for acne occuring before puberty. Care must be taken when prescribing to adolescent patients who have not finished growing. Due to the many reported side effects, accutane is reserved for patients with nodular acne or acne conglobata which is at risk of scarring or causing psychological problems. Before considering accutane patients should try oral oxytetracycline which is effective at clearing many types of acne including rosacea and peri-oral dermatitis. Repeat prescriptions may be required for as long as the patient is prone to acne. Dermatologists have found the most effective topical acne lotion to be Differin, especially when used in conjunction with oral treatment. Female patients should also try Dianette, an anti-androgen birth control pill which clears acne.
Loiloi xx

like ttjones I took accutane for 4 months but it was in 1998.  I haven't felt normal since.  Depression and joint pain, scalp problems,  light sensitive eyes.  I would suggest not taking the drug.
been on accutane fro roughly 2 months now, my skin has never been better, i was waking up to 2 or 3 new cystic spots a day even on medicine, i tried everything all the creams and pills, and all the natural remidies, none improved my acne, i was at my breaking point, so i started accutane as the real last resort.

its only been recently iv experianced joint pains, which i expected becuase iv always had dodgy joints, but its to a point when i lay in bed and breath out, its fairly painful, i just started some cod liver oil and about to drink alot more water, hopefuly it goes away if not il let me doc know... im also experiancing muscle fatigue, it feels like the day after youv done extensive exercise

in my eyes as long as the pain is tempory and leaves nolong term damage i think its worth it, becuase i realy was it the breaking point often contenplating suicide (sounds stupid, i know), and since being on accutane iv only been happier, (apparently iv been moody though), but only my mum thinks so, friends say im the same as normal.

ps. im 19, acne since 14(got realy bad at 17), 65kgs in weight, on 60mgs a day, 2 months in on a 5 month course
I took accutane for about a year and right after developed severe joint pain and swelling, and was later diagnosed with lupus.  While lupus is supposed to be a genetic disease, I have a feeling that the accutane had something to do with it, or that it may have even caused lupus-like symptoms in me that are now permanent. So while I have clearer skin, i truely think that at the very least the accutane triggered the lupus and the joint pain.
i have started accutane 4 days ago u lot a getting me scared but my face it terrible let u know how i get on
the things people on this forum are saying about joint pain couldn't be more true. I took accutane 5 months ago. I am 20 years old, male, 70kg. WIthin a week of taking accutane my back pain started. it was bearable though so my derm and I decided to cntinue the treatment. By the 3rd week i couldn't even walk or sit without moaning and groaning from the back pain. I discontinued the medication after 3 weeks. Its been 5 months and now every joint in my body hurts including my wrists.  when i say every joint i mean my ankles, knees, shoulders, elbows, pelvis, and even my back. no type of acne is worth immobility. Theyve done every test you could imagine. ive endured the radiation equivelant to 50,000 x-rays, and take almost every blood test you could imagine. None of my 6 doctors can figure it out. Stay away from this drug. just search for accutane and joint pain in any forum and you are guaranteed to find atleast 2 people suffering from it post accutane. all that garbage about "any side effect will stop after the discontinuation of the medicine" is garbage. I read about people dealing with what ive dealt with for years. Thoughts of suicide have become so common. i dont know how im going to bare this pain any more. it wasnt worth it. i cant walk for more than 15 min. i cant sit for more than 30. i cant drive anymore, i cant exercise... i just want my life back
I've already briefly posted about my experience with Accutane, but I want to let everyone know what I've found out.  A college student (who's posted an article on-line) took Accutane years ago, and it ruined his joints too.  He has done years of research on the mechanism of Accutane.  It has the same component as chemo!  It shortens the life of EVERY cell in your body; that's why you age so quickly (joints, hair, skin)  Here's the site:  http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/accutane/T9QJ8DO1TLI41VBPN

He is doing everything he can to get it off the market, BUT what about all of us who are in chronic pain EVERY SINGLE DAY?  I'm so tired of the pain!  If it weren't for my faith, I don't know what I would do.  I went from working full-time, taking care of 2 small children, and keeping a spotless house to near disability.  I can only work part-time b/c of the pain, and that's very difficult.

The symptoms started right after I began Accutane.  There's no other explanation; there's just too many people with this same story.  We all can't be crazy!  PLEASE DO NOT DESTROY YOUR LIFE OVER ACNE!  My vision is worse, my hair is thinner, I've got bladder problems, and all b/c of of this medicine.  
I was on accutane for 4 months and I had no problem with joint pain while on it, and now 1.5 years has past and I have extremely weak joints. I have wrist pain and knee pain. Although I has pre condition with my knees in regards to misaligned tibia, but before accutane I had no pain and now I do I cant even have a job which I have to stand up for a long time.
I know how desperate people with acne are for a cure, because I was one of them, but this drug is not worth it.
Know this post was written a while ago, but wanted to put my two cents in anyways. I took Accutane when I was 16, about 6 years ago, and almost immediately after I finished my course I developed severe joint pain and swelling.  I saw a rheumatologist and was diagnosed with lupus, and joint pain is one of the symptoms I deal with to this day.  I'm 100% positive that the Accutane, being such a powerful drug, triggered the lupus.  I tend to believe that I had lupus before taking it, but simply had no symptoms beyond mild fatigue, and that the Accutane acted as a catalyst for even worse symptoms.  I would say that most joint pain caused by the Accutane is probably from it aggravating some preexisting condition.  I suppose it could be possible that Accutane itself does something to your body, perhaps ruins your joints even if you're completely healthy to start with, but I've yet to find research regarding this.  I would love for it to be the case for me that Accutane temporarily caused lupus-like symptoms that will simply go away with time, especially since I'm now having issues with the Plaquenil I take for my lupus, but I think that's wishful thinking.  Good luck to everyone who has suffered from this drug.
I started accutane tx when i was 30yrs old. Got through week 4 @ $300.00 each wk. Insurance wouldn't pay. Started with stiffness in my joints and muscles and slowly began to develop pain. Eventually it became so severe that I could hardly walk. My husband would carry me to the car and then my co-workers would carry me to my desk. I told my Dr. and he said it was just a coincidence. He stopped the Tx though and referred my to an orthopedic Dr. This Dr. ran all kinds of test (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc...He could find nothing abnormal. He referred me to a Rheumatologist who diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. Told me to take 1000mg of Tylenol 2 times a day for the rest of my life. Since that time (it's been 11years)and I am no better. Many more health problems have reared their ugly head. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years. The hardest part is being labeled as a hypochondriac.No one believes you because you look perfectly fine and there are no test that find anything wrong. You feel so isolated. Your health deteriorates because your unable to exercise. Your whole life has changed and not for the better. I now use a prescription medication called spironolactone 50mg. I had to beg my Gynecologist to prescribe it. I don't understand why I wasn't told about this med. years ago. It works really well, especially if you have hormonal acne. Please, I am begging you to pass on the Accutane. I believe without a shadow of a doubt that Accutane has done permanent damage to my muscles somehow. I know how self-conscious your acne and scars make you feel. Believe me when I tell you it's not worth it. Just a note that I find too common; my acne came back shortly after stopping the tx. I wasted $1200.00 and my health for what?
Reading everyone's posts made me feel like I'm not alone, so thank you everyone for sharing.  My story is very similar to a lot of your stories.  I started taking it when I was 16, my derm. prescribed it even though my acne was not even that severe, and did not forewarn me about the more serious side effects.  I was running track full time and playing soccer.  Immediately after taking it (i did not have joint pain during the treatment, just dry skin and cracked lips) I developed horrible joint pain in my right leg which I thought was illotibial band syndrome (ITBS), a common runner's injury.  Even though I went to physical therapy for a half a year it still did not get better, if anything it got worse.  Now that I am 22 the pain has been getting progressively worse and has moved to every part of my body.  My neck is always in pain, my back is always stiff and in knots, I cannot run anymore (at least not w/o feeling immense pain), walking up stairs is a constant chore, my night vision is diminished considerably, and my breathing is as if I am horribly out of shape, when in fact I am not.  I constantly feel weak and lightheaded.  I am in denial about my symptoms when it comes to trying to explain how I feel to other people, because I know they will not understand.  It's something that only someone who has experienced first hand ever will.  I have been depressed (even though I am at one of the best points of my life) and I don't know what to do about it.  I have been told a slue of different things from various doctors and all of them have not worked.  If anyone has any type of advice or suggestions please let me know!! I will try anything!
Taking this drug is a bit like playing Russian Roulette. Since this drug alters RNA transcription, it depends heavily on your DNA's susceptibility to the drug. Some people will experience mild side effects, while others will experience devastating side effects. Isotretinoin (Accutane) is a retinoid which is a derivative of Vitamin A. Taking a full course of Isotretinoin is basically like taking an overdose of Vitamin A. An overdose of vitamin A, or vitamin A poisoning, is also known as Hypervitaminosis A. Hypervitaminosis A can also be experienced from eating the liver of certain animals, for example the polar bear. Eskimos do not eat polar bear liver because it gives them Vitamin A poisoning (Hypervitaminosis A).

The side effects from Vitamin A poisoning are numerous. Sore joints, dry skin, dry eyes, colitis, blurry vision, rash, psoriasis, loss of hair, depression, headache, fatigue, nosebleeds, loss of hearing, lowered immune system function. The effect the Vitamin A poisoning has on the cells is that it slows down cellular proliferation. This is how it works for Acne by slowing down the oil production. This is fine for controlling the Acne, however it can be devastating/damaging to other organ and musculoskeletal systems which require cellular proliferation to operate adequately. For some people, after they stop taking Isotretinoin the cellular proliferation levels return to normal and a certain amount of healing/recovery can be done by the body. But for others who are more susceptible to the drug, proliferation levels do not return to normal and too much damage is done to certain organ systems to be able to recover. This is why I say that when you take this drug Isotretinoin (Accutane) you are playing Russian Roulette with your DNA and its susceptibility to it.

When I took this drug approximately 3 years ago, I had the common side effects (dry skin, dry lips, dry eyes, sore joints). I was 22 years old when I took the drug and I weighed 250 pounds. I took 50mg/day for 5 months. I was fine afterwards aside from a sore back. The Acne cleared up completely. Approximately 1 year after I stopped taking the drug, I started to feel horrible and had thoughts of suicide. I also was having heart palpitations and my fingers were cold and showing signs of clubbing on the fingertips. I also was showing signs of crohns disease. I went to the doctor (hospital) and they had no clue as to what was wrong. I showed them my fingers and the lady doctor just basically shrugged her shoulders. I told her about the crohns syptoms (symptoms) and she booked me for a scope in approximately 7 months. Terrible medical service, absolutely horrendous. So I ended up going to an alternative medicine clinic where I had a live blood analysis. All I can say is, oh my god! If you are reading this right now and you are feeling horrible, please, I beg you, please go and get a high quality live blood analysis done. Anyways back to the story, my blood had showed everything. You get to see your own blood under the microscope. The alternative medicine doctor layed out everything that was wrong with me, EVERYTHING. My red blood cells were all clumped together, a formation called rouleaux where the red blood cells look like stacks of coins all stuck together. He explained my fingers were cold and showing signs of clubbing because the red blood cells were not getting through the capillaries in my fingers because they need to go through one at a time, a feat which was not possible due to my clumped blood cells. I also showed signs of MASSIVE candida overgrowth, we are talking a 12/10. It was really bad. He mentioned the candida was likely the cause of my crohns symptoms because the candida live in the intestine and drill holes into the walls of the intestine causing inflammation.

Ok new paragraph. This candida overgrowth was caused by me taking the Accutane. This is because the body immune function and friendly bacteria is reduced during the course of the drug. This allowed the candida to overgrow. Also my diet was horrible. I was eating junk, pure junk. I was eating bread, milk, cheese, refined sugar, table salt, all poison yet are considered to be a "normal diet" in the western world. This stuff is horrible for you. The candida thrive on sugar it had overgrown and had basically overtaken my entire body. The symptoms of candida overgrowth are numerous, the list is too long to mention here. Basically you feel like death, that is how I can explain it. So the alternative medicine doctor told me a full recovery was possible. All I needed to do was to change my diet. I drank lots of water and only water. I ate green vegetables and nuts. Basically everything that is allowed on the candida diet (google it). I also took a few supplements like acidophilus, white oak bark, slippery elm, dandylion seed, gluten defense, moducare, and aloe vera juice. Five months later and I am feeling fantastic. A full recovery. I am feeling better than I have ever felt, ever. It is so funny everytime we are out or at a party and I get offered a piece of cake, a donut or cookie or something, I turn it down like it is pure poison. Because to me it is, refined sugar is just horrible stuff. The thing is, you may be reading this and feeling a bit skeptical, but I am being dead serious, I am living proof. If your diet consists of any of those foods I mentioned above, try out the candida diet for AT LEAST 5 months and see how you feel. You may have never felt what I feel in your entire life. If you have any acne or just feel bad in general, it is imperative that you change your diet. Anybody that says diet does nothing for acne is just being plain ignorant. This included doctors too. They likely read it out of a textbook someplace but have never actually lived it or experienced it for themselves.

If I had been taking care of my body like I am now, I probably would have never even had to take Accutane. Because I would have been naturally free of acne. But what is done is done and hind sight is 20/20. I was terribly ignorant back then. I did no research, I trusted my hospital doctor without checking my references, I expected others to do things for me, I was irresponsible, I was eating garbage, I was confused, I was lazy, I was ungrateful, I took things for granted. The worst part is that I wasn't even aware that I was being ignorant. I have learned since then to be fully aware and conscious of the decisions that I make and I absolutely make sure to check my references. It has changed my entire life. In a way I am glad that I took that drug because it brought me to my knees. It brought me to my knees physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. It makes me think of that saying that goes, "you really don't know what you have till it's gone". It is so true. Nowadays, I am so thankful and so grateful for everything that I have in my life. When you are grateful you are rich. I don't mean just thinking "yeah I guess I am grateful for what I have got", I mean thinking and feeling gratitude to the point where tears well up in your eyes. That kind of gratitude.  I live life with a new level of awareness. A whole new paradigm shift has taken place in my life. If you are still reading I want to leave you with a quote that has brought me to tears because I have lived it.

"Ignorance is not bliss, it's misery. It's poverty of the mind and spirit, and sooner or later of the bank account. Wisdom is weath of the heart, mind, and soul. And unlike money, once you have it, no one and nothing can ever take it away from you. Once you come to posess it, wisdom is yours forever. And even when you pass it on to others, your own store of it grows."
Accutane is something i did not want to take. after years of suffering, i merely stopped drinking milk, soda and chips and tried this product called Tanda and it has worked for me. I also use apple cider vinegar  and a aspirin mask rigth before bed.

I am 33 male , pale with  oily skin. this regimen has worked for me after years of hiding and avoiding people.

if you cant stop drinking milk, buy either almond milk, coconut milk or rice milk. I personally drink almond milk because it tastes like milk.  this changed the way i look and do things and has done wonders for me.
I have been on 6 courses (6 months twice and 5 moths the other 4 times) of accutane over a 10 year period. Before accutane i used to work out and be physically fit and would run like 5 miles a day and lift weights as well. I am 5"4 and I weighed 130 pounds. I now 1 years later have put on a lot of weight. Exercise is too painful. I had 3 MRI's done a week ago and I am waiting to see a specialist on the 5th of August. The nurse said I had moderate arthritis and degeneration! I am only 34. All the sudden for the second time i could not get out of bed for a week. This is the end of the second week. The first week started on the 16th of July. I was going to a chiropractor before thinking it would help me cause I had no idea what was wrong. It made things worse I believe. I could be wrong. But during that time I was on 8 vicodin a day and 4 muscle relaxers. So I didn't feel the real pain. I stopped using the drugs so I can get a grip and make sure I am not putting my body thru more pain and hurt. I am going to stop taking Accutane today after reading al this. I thought all my pain stemmed from another source but all this makes sense. My back pain is horrible. All my joints hurt even my wrists at times. Going up and down our stairs is torture! I can't stand for more than 10-15 minutes or lay down for 30 or more minutes without starting to cramping and pain! I wish one Dr. would have told me I would end up like this. I have missed 3 weeks of summer vacation with my son before he starts school. I can't get that back.
I do have the same problem, I took accutane for a year 40mg/day and I started to have lower back pain. I workout almost everyday. At the end of my treatment I had real pain in my shoulders bones and muscles, last Month I went to physical therapy for the pain. My doctor took x-ray didn't find any problem with my shoulder but I get a poping sound in my Shoulder joint that's why I we t to physical therapy. I'm 23 yr old and pretty much healthy but after using accutane I feel my body is not strong as it was.
So strange how the accutane takes a beating on our bodies. I have that same issue in my right arm as well. I found that odd. I have been doing acupuncture and it has helped with the muscle pain where it is very sore. Ice packs have helped as well. I have been doing physical therapy as well. Can i ask how come they had you on it for a year? They have like a 5 month and 6 month rule here.
Weight lifting can put a lot of pressure on your joints. Make sure your doing it correctly. Also, if you are forced to stop don't feel like the end of the world. I might have to quite swimming because of breathing issues and other issues. I'm sure you still will be able to, just with caution.
Hi Everyone, reading all these different experiences gets me really frightened and wondering if really it is worth it to take accutane.
I am a 28yr old lady and I have been on accutane for exactly 23 days and I have experienced servere backaches within the past week.
I spoke to my derma this morning asking if my backaches were related to the accutane and he adviced me to immediatley stop the drug. I must say I passed a sleepless night last night and if I have to go through that for beauty, well I honestly prefer to die of acne than of backache!
I have a colleague who used accutane a while ago and it worked perfectly for her. So I must say it really depends on ones body! The minute you feel something aint right, better stop it!
Thx :)
I am 14 years old, and have been taking accutane for approximatley a month and a half. Less then 40 pills, and I took 1 every SECOND day. I was the most flexible person, dance, gymnastics, soccer, I used to run, and was planning on trying out for rugby! Plans, down the rain. I have severe lower back pain, and can barley touch my knees. I have given everything up and am sitting on on my chair, in complete discomfort, dipressed, looking through every site for help. Its high school, I wanted to look flawless and beautiful, Im not self absorbed but I am sorta pretty. Down side ? I have the worst inflamitory acne. Derm says " itll be gone in 4 months 100% " .... I can't sleep at night. We are all beautiful, if we have acne so be it. Does your bestfriend hate you becouse you have ance, what about your family ? I think not. Id rather be myself, and live YEARS with acne then die a criple. I used to think accutane was a miracle pill, my respect for it just went to hell.
A week ago I took my last Accutane pill. I couldn't be happier with the results. My skin is beautiful.
I had the joint pain the last few weeks... I am not even sure for how long. My heels hurt a lot. My fingers not so much. Knees, and my right shoulder. I kept thinking the reason my heels hurt is because the shoes I wore today. There was always an explanation. Well, my question is this. Is this a side effect? Will it go away in a month or so?
I will be seeing my Dr. at the end of the month for my last check up.
I started taking MSM for joint pain. Any suggestions?
4/4/11
Thank you for reading

Lisa
For 6 years now after taking accurate twice my acne is back and all my joints have permanent arthritis I have gastritis of the stomach n asophogus and an unexplained vein disorder that causes blocked vericose veins I'm a 24 year old male that was in great health before taking this. EVERY ONE PLEASE STAY OFF THIS MEDICINE. The acne comes back but the pain lasts forever not worth it
I think you need to use Wobenzym. It is an enzyme treating autoimmune and rheumatic illnesses, joint and muscle pain. Wobenzym is the most meticulously researched systemic enzyme supplement in order to ensure the continuation of your good health.
Firstly I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has contributed here & a big thank you to "Bailey555". I was on Accutane for 4 months last year ending in Dec 2010. I will honestly say it left me a mess. I came on here to find a solution and I did!! I bought the book "The Amazing  Liver & Gallbladder Flush by Andreas Mortiz in March this year and changed my diet, I only eat meat on a weekend now. I have a green smoothie every morning (1apple, 1pear, 1banana, few strawberries, 1/4 cucumber & handful of curly kale or 2 cabbage leaves). Had my first colonic with a nurse in March 2011 & the pain went the same day and hasn't returned! I've now had 3 colonics which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND and got my life back. From feeling 70+ every day I now feel 16 again. Please have faith and start taking responsibility for your own health as by cleaning your colon and liver you will rid yourselves of these terrible/crippling side effects that have plagued many of you for years. Reading all your stories touched me emotionally and I genuinely hope anyone reading my post will find the strength to make that change. I'm now weaning myself of my blood pressure tablets with much success and monitoring it daily. Good luck everyone, you can do this!!!
I took accutane almost 15 years ago for one month (don't remember the dosage) and my joints have never been the same since.  Very weak and painful and it seems to travel or flare up sometimes more than others.  I have never been officially diagnosed with lupus, fibromyalgia, or anything else for that matter.  But I know my body and I knew right away something was very wrong which was why I discontinued after one month.  
My question is - is there any way to make a definite connection (say if the RNA has been changed as Bailey555 noted).  Obviously we all suspect our issues are originally from Accutane, but I'm wondering if anyone has info on how to pinpoint it more definitively?
Thanks!
i am on isotretinoin and i took it for one week and two days i take 3 20mg pills once a day but after reading these reviews i ave stopped as i train at the gym 5 days a week and i have noticed some back pain but i am going to make an appointment with the doctor to see if my back hurting is ok. the main reason i am worried is because i love trainning and if i were to permantly get bad joints then i would be absolutaly devastated so i would like to know how many people have permanent joint pain and if their is anyway to stop this happening
i am in my 4th month of Accutane and so far love it! i have the dry lips and some soreness of my back but i cant totally blame it on accutane as I was in a severe car accident a year ago..
I've been on Accutane for nearly 3 months now...tried everything, have only had cystic acne 2 1/2 years prior to this, but tried all the methods prescribed by my G.P, and have a long term condition (HS, recurrence of abscesses). Initially it wasn't so bad, started on a 40mg daily dose and after a couple of days started to feel some of the side effects, e.g., chapped lips, itching, dry skin, aggravation of acne, and towards the end of the first month, slight joint pain, especially in my back. They then put me on 80 mg a day, not too bad at first, slight increase in joint pain and lethargy...but after a week or so later...omg...severe chapped lips and bleeding (cut lips - especially in corners), mood swings, constantly dry mucoused nose (extremely annoying), horrible spots, skin cuts really easily and now nearly 3 months later, I feel like I have rheumatoid arthritis, and have absolutely no energy, these tablets have drained the life right out of me. All I want to do is sleep, I work part-time (as a Sales Adviser) so on my feet all day and single mum with 2 young girls, this is not easy at all...

I'm off to see my derm tomorrow, so am going to say to stop the tablets, as much as I want to see if it works (and I know that my skin is a lot drier and smoother but still have spots), I have anything between 1 - 3 months to go...feeling like this, is not going to happen, unless I gave up work, but cannot. Hope I do not get these permenent side effects....

I think taking Accutane is up to the individual, some may be luckier in the side effects they have,  but the price for clear skin definately does not outweight the price of your health and there is more to life.... just be warned some people is all I'm saying...and good luck to those who try it :-)
Hey.  My dermatologist recommended accutane.  I didn't want to go on it but did anyway . It was the worst decision of my life.  I wake up every day in pain and wish I had never heard of the medicine. My back pain is unbearable.  I have thoughts of suicide constantly because I don't think I can live like this forever.  I wish I had talked to someone before I went on this medicine .   Let me be that person - DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE. It will change your life for the worse.  If you think your acne is bad try living without being able to move.  Please, stay away from the drug.
I am three months in my medication on accutane. My face is not yet improving at all and I deal with back pain every day.  I am training for a half marathon and joint pain affects me after my run every time.  I have told my doctor but I don't tell her HOW badly it affects me because I'm afraid she will take me off Accutane, and I really want my face to clear up. But I am really getting sick of waking up in pain every day like an old man, I'm in my early twenties. Any tips?
There are natural remedies for Acne, but if you want to stay on your chemical remedies it has obvious side effects most  pains in the body can b eliminated with some food or homeopathic remedies.  Please describe how long you have had it how did it start what part of your body is effected  
I have had back pain since before my first monthly check-up in September of this year. This definitely is from accutane because I never had back pain in my life before this.  It's mostly lower back that affects me to most; from sitting to standing to anything, constant irritation. Homeopathic remedies?
In your case if it's left lower back I would recommend liquid Belladonna 30, 5 drops under the tongue after lunch if it is right side I would suggest to alternate on the days of the remedy example,  Monday noon, Wednesday noon
After the pain goes away continue taking it for next three days otherwise it comes back but of course much weaker pain , there is a beautiful story behind the word belladonna check it out.  
Another remedy if your pain is on your right side you can use ARNICA 30C  if you can not wait in that case get  the cream from  your local drug store it’s over the counter remedy  this cream you have to rub it at night before sleep ,but the best is to get cured from inside 30c liquid under the tongue 5 drops this way you attack the problem not superficially .  
There are over 50 remedies for lower back pain but this two is enough to take care of you  
Let us know your percentage of alleviation of pain after 3 days.  
I am so glad I stumbled upon this site...now I know I'm not alone in my back pain!! I took Accutane 7 years ago, I was 18, and I STILL have HORRIBLE back pain. It's like something is ripping it apart from the inside. I almost scream when I lay down in bed at night, because laying flat is worse than anything else. I have seen doctors, gotten xrays, and I was so stumped as to why it was hurting, then my mom mentioned that it was probably from Accutane, so I decided to research it. At least now I know the probable cause. How stressful this is!!! Docs around here won't prescribe meds for back pain because there are so many junkies who abuse the system, but I don't care, if I could fix it without meds, I happily would. Any suggestions?? Tylenol does not work anymore, and I have 3 kids, so rest is not an option. lol
I went onto Accutane in 2001 and did the full six month treatment.  My acne disappeared almost immediately, but what replaced it is ten years of suffering that I never anticipated.  I had the usual symptoms such as dry eyes, chapped lips, eczema, and styles.  I also developed several cysts under the skin on my forearm, belly and back.  Te cyst on my back pressed on my sciatic nerve and had to be removed surgically.  

The worst is that at 39, only a few years after stopping the drug, I developed diverticulitis, even though I had never had stomach problems and exercised and ate right for more than 23 years.  Flash forward to today, and I have had a colostomy, a reversal of same, and a hernia repair from the effects of the abdominal surgery not healing properly.

I have also had horrible joint pain for years at no doctor had been able to help me manage.  I have lumps on my finger joints and cannot exercise without pain.  At 46 I feel like a sickly 80 year old.  I went to see a rheumatologist who told me to take fish oil which does nothing.

I heard on tv this week that there are law suits against Accutane's company for the horrible things it does, so we are not all crazy.

Please, if you are just starting or considering this drug, STOP.  It's not worth it.
I, too, strongly advise against accutane. I was a healthy twenty five year old man with persistent acne. I started dating a wonderful girl and wanted to eliminate acne once and for all. I have read all the side effects of accutane before starting treatment but I was determined to get "perfect skin" so I ignored it all. When I started getting back pain, my dermatologist assured me that it was temporary. Well, it is not. Two years later (and I am now single so how about that!) and the pain keeps getting worse. I've tried everything to alleviate the pain: complementary and alternative medicine, relaxation, and anything that I read online or heard from natural practitioners... But nothing works. I am now taking NSAID medication because my doctor "thinks" it may be fibromayalgia. The doctors don't know what's wrong, only when it's too late. I can't walk for long distances without getting back pain. If i continue to walk, i get swellings in my back and e pain forces me to stay in bed for a few days until the swelling and pain goes down. Now my cartilages are highly susceptible to injury and I have already torn the labrum of my right acetabulum and medial meniscus of my knee. These injuries did not occur because of playing sports, but just from normal everyday activities. I was desparate when I started accutane because I thought to myself that I would do anything to have perfect skin. I was very wrong. I now have acne again, and added tothat is severe  joint pain. Please, if you are reading this and contemplating taking accutane, I beg you not to. Living with back pain and torn cartilages is a lot worse than living with acne. I have an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon in one week regarding the torn labrum of acetabulum. I heard scary things about surgery, so I'm not planning on taking the risk. I took a risk with my health once, and that will haunt me for the rest of my life. I am now depressed because I feel alone and hopeless.
27 years old, male, 130 lbs. First month, I started 20mg/day. Second month, 40mg/day. I'm starting my third month with 60mg/day now. Last night, I felt noticeable pain on my right ankle. The pain is still bearable. Rashes on my arms are more pronounced. I plan to continue my 60mg/day. I want my face to clear up and I'm going to hold out as long as I can.

I'm crossing my fingers that I don't get any permanent joint pains like many have expressed here. How is everyone else doing? Are there Accutane users that didn't have permanent joint pains? Maybe for some people, they were really temporary?
I'm experiencing the same back pain. I'm on my third month of treatment. I stopped at the end of two months. I also have so many rashes (they're red and some bumpy). My dermatologist ordered skin biopsy to see what's going on. I'll see him in a week. I hope the results aren't serious!
how are you doing now after accutane? did your back pain go away?
My 15yr old daughter has severe back pain! She slowly started getting it when she started acutane.  Of course her dermo says its a very minimal side affect, but tell my honor roll student who has missed 5 days of school bc she can not get out of  bed! She has been off for 3days, and no relief. Help.....any advice?
I have been suffering for the past year (6 months being on accutane and 6 months post).  I used to be an active person, but now, at age 21 I feel trapped in a dying 99 year old's body.  I am crippled with immobilizing pain.  I read many many people's testimony's and only yours offered hope.  I have no hope besides my Christian faith (may God show mercy on this pain I'm in) and in the thing I CAN change: my diet.  Thank you for your long response that I reread twice and saved!  In it I found a glint of hope that I CAN get better.  Bless you!
This is all very interesting to me. My 15 year old son was taking Accutane for only 9 days when he developed a rash, soreness and fever. Drs thought it was mono. He was sick for about 10 days with fever and rash. Dr. said it was probably viral. He ended up in hospital for a week all tests came back negative, saw infectious disease specialists etc. They still thought it was a virus that was unknown so discharged from hospital. A day later I took him back to the Dr. knowing that there was something terribly wrong...He now was limping and his neck hurt. Saw a Rheumatologists who right away said I believe your son has JRA. Needless to say We took him to a Childrens Hospital and he was diagnosed after several tests with Jeuvenile rheumatoid Arthritis. They don't know how this happens or what causes it. I truly believe that the Accutane triggered this in my son. He only took it for 9 days and it was 9 days toooo much. Before this he was healthy working out and training with his football team. Now he is on prednisone to help the inflamation (inflammation). It has been 2 months and I just pray to God this will go in to remission for him. Be very cautious before taking this medicine. My sons acne is bad and I know he is getting depressed. It is tough seeing him deal with this but now we have a more serious issue added. Just thought I would share
i just stopped taking this drug...i  was on third month... because of severe joint pains, knee pains, lower back pain and three days back i started having shoulder pain... rite now im in pain..alll my body is aching... all thanks to people like you who are sharing their experiences... because i was told by my derm that this back pain and joint pains are "temporary" and will go away after the 6 month therapy.. i have read so many sites...in some cases  pains are permanent... this drug might work as a miracle drug for some people but on the other hand it might not work for some.... cause everyone is different and respond differently to the drug...
i started taking oratane last night. i have mild acne, not cystic though. derm put me on 20mg. however i am a recovering addict so on other medication (over 3 years clean and sober tho), but thank God my psych gave me the go-ahead. however there are a few questions i would appreciate answers to.
1) is it better to take it at night or in the morning?
2) can i expect joint pain within 24 hours, because my knee has almost immobilised me today? i am scared that if the effects are kicking in so soon that it might not be a good idea to continue with this.
3) and depression...is that very common, because i feel absolutely **** today and not sure if its just the day or the medication beginning to talk?
4) when can you expect the side effects to kick in?
thanks guys.
HI guys, read some of these stories and felt compelled to contribute my somewhat more unique opinion of Accutane.  I’ve taken it 4 times now and am currently about to finish 5 months of 60 mg’s a day with this last month at 80mg’s daily.  The first time I took it, I was depressed about 3 months after treatment but I got on paxil and went back to normal shortly after.  A few years later, I joined the military and had to get back on it.  I did 5 months of 80mg’s a day but this time didn’t experience any depression.   A few years later, I had to get back on it again for a third time at 80 mg’s a day for 5 months but never experienced depression.  The whole time I was grateful to be on it because with severe acne, people without a doubt treat you different.  Attention from girls is non-existent and friends in general are hard to obtain especially when you’re moving as much as I did during my service.  I can’t deny that every time I get on accutane and finish a cycle that my quality of life is raised.  But I will admit that after the third session, chronic back pain became an issue and has been ever since.

I’ve been seeing doctor after doctor about my back pain with almost zero progression or real diagnosis, it just hurts.  I used to be a huge athlete playing all sports and doing Special Forces training in the military but since I’ve gotten out, I haven’t been able to complete a full 8 week workout.  If accutane is the cause of all this pain then I’m not sure what to think.  I’ve benefitted a lot from accutane in terms of confidence and opportunity but my health definitely hasn’t been the best since I’ve gotten on it.  I’ve been contemplating staying on a continuo’s cycle of accutane since I fear breakouts so much but after reading these posts, I’m not sure what to do.  I appreciate accutane for helping look good because people definitely treat you much better without accutane.  That’s just the way it is but if my health is going to continue to deteriorate as a result then I’ll probably finish this last cycle and hopefully never have to get on it again but I’ve been saying that since I was 16 and inevitably my acne comes back, even as an adult.    
its been two months now... im off of accutane i didn't complete my accutane therapy.. i left after 3rd month..because i started having knee pains... but just recently i have severe joint pains.. i went to the doc.. he gave me all the tests from blood cp, esr, uric acid, blood fasting sugar, thyroid...
all the tests came out normal..except for the uric acid...its helll high! like way too high! so this the reason my every joint in the body is aching!
i was just wondering if accutane gives rise to uric acid in blood.. then i searched on google..it say yes it can do tht.... im extremely pissed off!!! coz im just 24 years old girl and feel like 80 years old granny!! i m now taking pain killers .. and wht and wht not...
i would just recommend if you start having any pains with accutane you should stop taking it right away!
i just hope my joint pains goooo awayy!!!
I agree with this. I had nodular acne since I was 9 years old (14 years), and I had not responded to any topical treatments, antibiotics, diane 35, acne facials or several face wash regimens. I had spent 1000's of dollars on treatments that did not work in the end, and hated my appearance. When I started Accutane, my skin suddenly responded and within a few months my skin looks the best it has ever looked. It is at least 80-90% better. I have had the side effects of lips peeling, my jaw is stiff (although I grind my teeth and I have braces right now) and my lower back gets sharp pains some days, but I am going to troop through it and drink more water and exercise more. Accutane really was my last ditch effort and I feel it saved me from a life of self consciousness and extreme scarring.
My 12 year-pld daughter is having an MRI on both knees today. She danced for a year prior to taking Accutane. One month into the treatment and she complained of knee pain after her class. She did not injure herself. This has been 5 months ago and it has gotten worse. It used to just hurt her when she jumped but now her knees get stiff just standing and sitting. She has been of the Tane for 2 months. I am wondering exactly what the mechanism of action is of this drug that causes specific and generalized arthritis?  Are there any supplements anyone has had luck with? Do these changes show up on imaging and if not, why not? I mean, shouldn't there be some kind of change in the knee or other joints if they are that painful?
Has anyone had the pain get better over time?
i just dont understand how roche are getting a away with a few ibs related
law suits when there poison has caused so much damage to so many peoples entire body!!! how can we prove this so that roche can crumble under the largest class action suit of all time?   please someone help!!!!!
I don't understand why people are placing children under the age of 16 on Accutane knowing what it can do. Your derm can recommend that your child take Accutane, but ultimately the decision is the parent's. There are warnings all over the labels (not to mention the internet if you do pre-prescription research) about pain and bones not growing and other such effects and if your child's growth is impacted in any way well...

I am an 18yo girl, and I am entering my last month and a half of treatment. I was a real risk prospect -- and it was the very last option -- as I already had a depression history, already experienced joint pain (for no discernable reason) and seem to be susceptible to extreme side effects (the pill seems to have ruined my heart's exercise capability). My mother, though hesitant, placed me on Accutane and it hasn't nearly been as bad as anyone above has describe and I feel like it's important that people see Accutane use on both sides.

My back is sore, but it was generally sore pre Accutane and I can't say that the medication has made it worse. What has been worse has been the general joint pain -- but I expected that. But it is in no way debilitating and I still function on a relatively normal level. I'm also quick to tire and can never seem to get enough sleep but, despite this pain and tiredness I make it to school each day and function relatively happily.

Accutane is certainly not as bad as people would make it out to be. My break outs have all but ceased, and that pleases me above all else (as do comments such as 'it's really cleared up'). But I would recommend a serious think and talk a serious talk with your dermatologist to make sure this is the product for you.
i took accutane for 8 months 40 mg a day... its been 3 moths since... I have never felt this terrible back pain in my life... this pain is killing me slowly im 23 yrs old and i feel like im 80, if i lay on my side my hears cartilage hurt and i feel like my ribs cant handle the weight of my body... so i cant lay on my side, laying my back makes my lower back hurt and laying on my belly makes my spine and neck hurt... when i bread i hear the back of my neck popping, i never had this intence pain and popping of my joints...i just practically finished rolling around the floor crying and im now doing a research to see what the hell i got myself into... yes my skin looks great but this pain is crazy.
for got to mention my right knee also hurts specially when driving and im pressing the gas pedal.
forgot to also mention i only weight 114 lbs so its not like my bones are holding much weight... but it feels like im carrying tons on my back
im here again....it's been more than 6 months now im off of accutane!! occasionally i do get sore shoulders and knee pains still....
turned 25, got married!
in mid of july i read on internet about glucosamine chondroitin msm supplement..... and started taking it!  (btw i wish i had known about this earlier.. i wouldn't have that much painful post accutane 2 months!.. i could barely walk! even was thinking of postponing my wedding! im glad i didn't! ;) )
Basically what accutane does is..it DRIES u up from inside out! i mean during tane course almost everyone suffers from dry skin and lips...and inside it dries ur "Hyaluronic acid ". Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is naturally present in the human body. It is found in the highest concentrations in fluids in the eyes and joints.
So what glucosamine does is..it lubricates the joints, which lubrication has been dried up by accutane.... which is why people get achy joints.
Some people are lucky enough that when they are off of tane. their body naturally builds back the hyaluronic acid... some people unlike me are not!!!!  
currently im taking GNC's TRI FLEX, it has glucosamine, chondroition MSM and this one has hyaluronic acid along with vitamin C!(which my previous glucosamine chondroition didnt have... so i find this one better.. works rite away!! )
recently shifted to UAE, it was 300 AED here.. somewhere around 78$.. so yeah its expensive!! :(
so the bottom line is im feeling much better.. im not completely well... sometimes achy joints, knees and all! (its because i dont take it faithfully, when i feel fine i don take it for two three days or more.. yeah i know i should be taking it regularly,... probably would also eliminate occasional joint pains...  ) one thing more... its not a drug, its a supplement. it doesn't start working rite away! it takes some time... so stick with it! my knees felt ease after taking it for three weeks in a row!
Next i would like to share..what other natural products i have found, after suffering from pains due to accutane...  i was and i am soo sick of pain killers.. just work temporarily! So did some research on natural anti inflammatory products..
One of the best thing i have found is "Turmeric".. a yellow spice found in Indian curry! google it and find out how it works as anti inflammatory.... and zillions of other benefits!!!!  (works for acne..works for joint  pains)
Second is ginger.... also google, how ginger is effective in joint pains.
Third is ACV... yes Apple cider vinger.... not the ordinary one, organic with the "Mother" is better! ..works with joint pains and acne!!!
last but not least! drink plenty of water..... i mean PLENTY of water.... Hydrate ur self!!!!!!!!!!
If i would have done much research about all this stuff earlier.. i would have never taken accutane.... Acne is  painful, but not as painful as physical and emotional pain u go through when u have achy joints at young age!!!!
Change ur lifestyle... enjoy every moment.. look for natural products.. they work and have no side effects!!!!!

p.s i do get one or two pimples once in a while.... i cure them with turmeric (taken orally) and acv applied topically!
...."back the hyaluronic acid... some people like** me are not!!!!  "

pardon for mistake
Congratulations!  So glad someone uses supplements to help him/herself.  I am a great fan of supplements.  I take Essiac for pain (I have no discs left and am walking around doing housework, etc.)  Zinc works wonders for some with acne.  I had a friend thank me once as Zinc cleared up her face just before her wedding day. -  I gave Zinc to my second husband as his face was horribly full of acne with white/green pus!  Yuck!  It cleared it right up including the ones on his back and shoulders.
Wow.  I'm totally blown away.  I was on Accutane for acne about 11 years ago, when I was 16.  When I was 17 I began to have severe problems with my hips and lower back.  My hips would give out, ache, have sharp pains and be very stiff.  I went to the doctor, who tested me for everything he could think of, using every test he could think of and failed to come up with anything.  I saw a joint specialist and she couldn't diagnose me either.  Since then, I've seen doctors in five different cities (including London, England and Toronto, two major cities with the best doctors available) and had many more tests done, finally ending up on Celebrex for "an undiagnosed arthritic condition".  I've had doctors tell me that it might be weight (although loosing and gaining make no change to the pain), that it must have been an infection that never healed, that it was psychological, or just made me feel like I was making it up for attention.  Not until tonight have I realized that there are other people that have been through a similar experience.  Not until tonight have I realized that it might have been the Accutane.  I'm shocked and can't believe that after all that I've been through for testing, worrying, the pain and sadness, no doctor has yet to suggest the link or even ask me about Accutane.  I can't believe that after 10 years of chronic undiagnosed pain, I might have finally found an reason why.  Amazing.  Question is, now, armed with this new insight, what do I do?  
I am 24 years old and first was treated with accutane when I was 17/18. It was severe acne and I had tried other remedies including oxytetracycline but nothing worked. I was on it for 6 months and the acne cleared up but came back 6 months later so was put on it for an additional 12 months.

Then at 23, after 5 years the acne came back. It wasn't as severe as when I was a teenager so I tried "Proactive" (a cleansing routine advertised by Katy Perry!) first as I didn't want to put my body through unnecessary treatments. But as they didn't work I started accutane or isotreninol as it's also known as, in August/September 2012. I'm a few months in now.

I've suffered from back pain since I was 18. It was mild pain so I did nothing about it. It got worse by the time I was 20 so went to the GP. He suggested physio. I didn't want to cause a fuss so I did nothing. Then at 22 it got crippling bad. I went to a chiropractor who cracked my back but the pain only left me for a few days then came back. I then tried physio and have recently been going swimming nearly everyday to help. But this exercise has now caused sciatica pain down my legs which make it hard to walk.

On a slight hunch I decided to google accutane and back pain. I'm shocked. I can't believe I may have finally found the cause of my chronic back pain. It's never made sense to me. I eat and exercise and I'm only young. I can't believe I caused this.

I'd rather have the terrible acne that I had as a teenager than have another day of this pain. Every second day and night I am in pain.

I guess all I can do is come off the drug, eat healthy, eat plenty of fish, drink lots of water and continue swimming. If anyone has any sites on how to reverse the effects of accutane please share them.

Thank you everyone.
me toooo  evary  part off my body pains
I started Accutane in 1988 around age 32, for four months. I remember first off my ankle joints were very painful and affected toes. I could hardly walk. I had to stop wearing contact lenses, because  it caused excessive dryness. In general I felt painful all over, moody, began to gain weight, bowel problems. Sensitive to touch, anyone touching me and furniture choices. I wish I had listened to my husband's loving advice and protection to stop the Acccutane. I did the full course. Since then my feet are still painful, all my joints are dry and very arthritis, I have had to have two total kneeplacements. I my soft tissue through body around bones have tears. I was in cast to heal them. My thumb joints need to be replaced neck and lumbar needs 3-4 levels of fusion. I had a doctor look at me recently and said its like I am drying up from the inside out. I will be 57 years old in September 2013. There's so much more say that about my parts that are deterring.  I healthy conscious with food and drink all my life. I do know that Accutane destroyed my quality of life. What to do? Is there a reversing medication for this? I know I signed all those papers. I keep eye drop by my bed, I tear my corneas when I blink my dry eyes. Is there genuinely any help  out there that will help? Thanks for listening. I don't know really what this done for me, but for others do not the accutane drug.
I think you need to consult with doctor. Joint pain is a common side effect to Accutane.
I took it for 7 days 6 months ago and it has destroyed me. joint pain is severe all the time. test have come back negative for everything and i still have no diagnosis. Drs and Derms all say it could not have done this. Fighting every day to get someone to listen. Was diagnosed today with post tramatic stress and severe depression, but nothing on the joint and muscle pain. Can i ask if you have had any immaging of your joints and if there is any calsification? forgive they typos...fingers dont work and i also have the added symptom of blureed vision since my week of accutain, and have lost most of my hearing.
I'm so sorry....you are not crazy! Two weeks into this drug I started with severe back pains...now all of a sudden I have ankylosing spondylitis a genetic disease of the joints ...no one in my family has that!...I stopped accutane but it's not going away. I'm only 33.
Prior to taking isotretinoin I was a healthy 12.5st 6'2" <5% body fat kind of guy who played sport nearly every day, with moderate cystic acne. I was fortunate to be a very healthy and active person.

Like someone above, I took roughly the equivalent of 60mg/day for six months on the UK's NHS and began experiencing crippling knee pain during my treatment for which I saw various doctors, none of whom blamed the symptoms to isotretinoin in spite of my suggestion of it as a cause. So, having initially been advised the symptoms were nothing to do with isotretinoin by more than one doctor, my dermatologist did at least acknowledge that they might well be due to the isotretinoin, but that the pain would go away after treatment. The pain proceeded to worsen and over the course of this past year, despite me having stopped on the drug, all of my major joints have become affected and are getting gradually worse. Hips, shoulders and knees especially. Everything has dried up and my eyesight has deteriorated very noticeably. I have had plenty of blood work done and there are no inflammatory markers that suggest RA. I am also losing hair at a ridiculous rate and my scalp flakes horribly, something which astonishingly my GP denies is related to isotretinoin. This worsening physical health is in spite of quite stable mental health for the past few months(I became acutely depressed when the damage of isotretinoin began to show). My skin doesn't heal properly any more and scars easily from small scratches. I am 22 and can no longer enjoy physical exercise. I am constant mild pain and take painkillers most days. It is devastating.

Taking this drug will be the single greatest mistake of my inevitably shortened life. Like everyone I did some research before taking this drug and can say that the safety of this drug is remarkably exaggerated both by the drug companies on the labels and most dangerously of all by the dermatologists who prescribe it so willingly. The label (well, for the The Beacon pharmaceuticals generic, anyway) does nothing to emphasise that a great deal of the listed side effects of this drug can and often are permanent, and the dermatologists certainly never informed me of this. Interestingly, I noticed no substantial lasting effects after my first course, although my acne did return. I told my [new] dermatologist that I was scared about side effects when considering a second course and he responded by prescribing me half the standard dose but for twice the time – something that, if anything, probably worsened the lasting side effects I experience today. I do wonder how these people sleep at night – I suspect it's because they don't actually understand the biochemical basis of this drug – they don't have to. As a recent biology graduate, I have been able to understand quite a bit about this drug (except for the clinical/pharmacokinetics stuff – I'm no medic). It is a comically unselective and unsuitable pharmacological compound for use as anything other than a life saving drug (it's original use).

My dermatologist even had the cheek to console me that my joint pain would go away before prescribing me my last batch of this drug and later deny his consolation in writing after I complained. I really do wonder how men like him sleep at night.

This drug will one day be banned. Once we elucidate the trail of invisible (and hypothetically somewhat heritable) epigenetic and telomeric destruction it leaves behind, it will be banned. Once we see a generation of late middle-aged people dying young from impaired wound healing and crippled by rheumatic disorders and osteoarthritis, the medical profession will realise its mistakes. However, until then, the difficulties of statistically disproving the safety of a drug with such a variety of adverse effects, combined with the blasé attitudes of dermatologists who prescribe this wonder drug will continue mame young and otherwise healthy people.

(I've never written all of this down before.)

Bede
- Wow, I thought I was the only one who had all these same issues.. I took Accutane at Age 17-18 and almost died..  They told me I had severe liver damage, but would recover in time.. The following months I felt like I had the flu.. According to the Dr's, my liver had returned to normal.. However, I never did.. Since that time, I have struggled with joint pain, lower back pain, fatigue, headaches, lack of energy, and constant aches and pains, all which have been reviewed by Dr's and they say nothing is wrong.. I am now Age 40.. All conditions still exist.. I just thought this was all me.. I am so sorry for all who are experiencing these condtions.. I been living in my own world of hell for over 20 years and don't wish it on anyone. Nobody else understands what you are going through.. I thought fibromyalgia was about as close to what I have going on as a disorder, and I would guess that is what the Dr's are going to keep passing this on to... My advise is: If you are taking Accutane, think real hard about the consequences.. They were never explained to me.. Even at 17 it may have been hard to think about the negative effects, as acne make life suck more than anything.. The bottom line is my acne went away with age : my pain will stay with me forever...
Hi Aramre,

I was wondering if your joint pain ever went away.  If it did, how long it took you to be pain free.  I took accutane for about 2 months and stopped it after getting severe joints pain. Knees and back of the heels of my leg are the worst. I can't even walk propery and limping all the time.  Its been about 3 weeks already since I stopped taking accutane and the pain has not gone away.  I wonder how long it will take before th pain goes away. Would appreciate your response or anybody else who has been on the same boat. Thanks.
FOR EVERYBODY READING THIS I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU BUU BLACK SEED OIL AND START TAKING ONE SPOON IN WATER AND LEMON. THIS WILL BE LIFE SAVIOUR FOR YOU AND IS GUARANTEED TO WORK. THIS IS TOUTED AS THE CURE OF ALL DISEASES BUT DEATH BY OUR BELOVED PROPHET MOHAMED. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HEALTHY THIS MIRACLE OIL IS. EVERYDAY SCIENTISTS ARE DISCOVERING NEW SHOCKING BENEFITS FROM IT. I ONLY DID THIS ACCOUNT TO WRITE THIS COMMENT AND TO SHARE WITH YOU THIS MIRACLE OIL FOR HELPING YOU HAVE A MUCH BETTER LIFE. MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
Supplementing with vitamin D is a must as vitamin a from accutane knocks out the vit d receptor so you need excess vitamin d to balance. 10,000 d3 iu a day atleast...GUARANTEED to work in a week
Worst decision ever!
I had never had acne problems growing up, im 26 years old young female. I went on birth control pill the doctor suggested (Levlen ED) for contraceptive reasons. After being on it for a few months I decided to stop it since I didn't need it any more. A month after I had break outs everywhere!!! started on my chin then my forehead then slowly on the side of my cheeks...just terrible. not being so used to this I was horrified and did everything I could to get rid off it. All over counter products that did nothing but burn and irritate my skin and damage my skin further by causing hyper pigmentation. Then I tried minocycle which kinda helped but it side effect was terrible vaginal thrush I didn't like.  Then i thought it was time to go consult with derm... after giving her a brief story of  my struggle it didn't take her long to suggest accutane to me. I was pretty shocked but not knowing much about the drug like I do now I was kinda passive and didnt really question her reasoning. Also since I really just wanted the oil productive caused by my hormonal imbalance to go away the only way to get rid of it was to start on accutane that grantees permanent result. i weight 54kg so she started me on 40mg dose a day!!! yesss! that's for a white head acne!!!  my acne is not even cystic at all.. long story short.. I ended up trying to give it ago and completed 10 days of 40mg.. on the 9th day I did a minor weigh and 15min cardio workout at the gym. I usually do this just fine with nil problems.. post workout about 7 hours later I started to feel pain in my mid section back. This back pain worsen the next day...and on the scale to 1 to 10.. it was 10/10!!! I couldnt sleep, couldnt walk straight, or sit... for two days I was stuck in my bed with heat back on my back. and this was all in just 10 days! just gose to show how powerful this drug was. my skin cleared up yeah but my face was soo pale and dry at the same time. I immediately stopped the drug even though it said to not stop taking the drug without consulting the derm...if you ask why, I dont know?.. I wasnt going to damage myself further till i have the next appointment booked.. I'm looking into flashing out my system of this toxic drug first before I go on to trying natural way of clearing out my white head acne. if sharing this could help someone other there im more than happy. STAYYYY AWAY FROM ACCUTANE!!!!
Hello, just to give you all my support with your illness. I have experienced the same problem since 2008 and I feel worse everyday. Have you improved since you published this post? Have you tried glucosamine? Best regards!
I have taken Glucosamine Condroitin and Krill Oil daily for the last 6 months and cannot tell a difference.  I took Accutane when I was in my 30's (I am now 59) ... so around 1990 when it first came out.  I noticed joint pain right away, but at the time thought it was worth it.  My pain is mainly in my hips.  At first, I could no longer go on long hikes or bike rides, etc., but it has progressed to where sometimes I cannot walk up stairs or even lift one leg to cross the other.  Otherwise I am a healthy, thin person with a good diet. Xrays show very little arthritis and all the docs are stumped when I show up in so much pain.  A little voice in the back of my head always told me it was the Accutane, and now after reading all the sufferers out there, I agree.  
Hi, what is your height? And how tall are you? Another patient told me that he feels much better when he loses weight. I am very skinny and I am trying to gain weight.