Accutane and joint pain
I have been on 40mg/day of Accutane for six weeks. Of course, I've had the usual side effects (dryness, depression, lethargy.) My main problem now is severe joint pain. I lift weights 5x per week. I don't want to stop working out, but my right elbow and both shoulders are killing me! Has anyone had experience with this and can you recommend medicine or treatment for the joint pain? I employ high intensity training (low reps, hight weight) but can change my lifting to lighter weight, with higher weights. But I can not stop lifting. Any advice will be appreciated.
In your case if it's left lower back I would recommend liquid Belladonna 30, 5 drops under the tongue after lunch if it is right side I would suggest to alternate on the days of the remedy example,  Monday noon, Wednesday noon
After the pain goes away continue taking it for next three days otherwise it comes back but of course much weaker pain , there is a beautiful story behind the word belladonna check it out.  
Another remedy if your pain is on your right side you can use ARNICA 30C  if you can not wait in that case get  the cream from  your local drug store it’s over the counter remedy  this cream you have to rub it at night before sleep ,but the best is to get cured from inside 30c liquid under the tongue 5 drops this way you attack the problem not superficially .  
There are over 50 remedies for lower back pain but this two is enough to take care of you  
Let us know your percentage of alleviation of pain after 3 days.  
I am so glad I stumbled upon this site...now I know I'm not alone in my back pain!! I took Accutane 7 years ago, I was 18, and I STILL have HORRIBLE back pain. It's like something is ripping it apart from the inside. I almost scream when I lay down in bed at night, because laying flat is worse than anything else. I have seen doctors, gotten xrays, and I was so stumped as to why it was hurting, then my mom mentioned that it was probably from Accutane, so I decided to research it. At least now I know the probable cause. How stressful this is!!! Docs around here won't prescribe meds for back pain because there are so many junkies who abuse the system, but I don't care, if I could fix it without meds, I happily would. Any suggestions?? Tylenol does not work anymore, and I have 3 kids, so rest is not an option. lol
I went onto Accutane in 2001 and did the full six month treatment.  My acne disappeared almost immediately, but what replaced it is ten years of suffering that I never anticipated.  I had the usual symptoms such as dry eyes, chapped lips, eczema, and styles.  I also developed several cysts under the skin on my forearm, belly and back.  Te cyst on my back pressed on my sciatic nerve and had to be removed surgically.  

The worst is that at 39, only a few years after stopping the drug, I developed diverticulitis, even though I had never had stomach problems and exercised and ate right for more than 23 years.  Flash forward to today, and I have had a colostomy, a reversal of same, and a hernia repair from the effects of the abdominal surgery not healing properly.

I have also had horrible joint pain for years at no doctor had been able to help me manage.  I have lumps on my finger joints and cannot exercise without pain.  At 46 I feel like a sickly 80 year old.  I went to see a rheumatologist who told me to take fish oil which does nothing.

I heard on tv this week that there are law suits against Accutane's company for the horrible things it does, so we are not all crazy.

Please, if you are just starting or considering this drug, STOP.  It's not worth it.
I, too, strongly advise against accutane. I was a healthy twenty five year old man with persistent acne. I started dating a wonderful girl and wanted to eliminate acne once and for all. I have read all the side effects of accutane before starting treatment but I was determined to get "perfect skin" so I ignored it all. When I started getting back pain, my dermatologist assured me that it was temporary. Well, it is not. Two years later (and I am now single so how about that!) and the pain keeps getting worse. I've tried everything to alleviate the pain: complementary and alternative medicine, relaxation, and anything that I read online or heard from natural practitioners... But nothing works. I am now taking NSAID medication because my doctor "thinks" it may be fibromayalgia. The doctors don't know what's wrong, only when it's too late. I can't walk for long distances without getting back pain. If i continue to walk, i get swellings in my back and e pain forces me to stay in bed for a few days until the swelling and pain goes down. Now my cartilages are highly susceptible to injury and I have already torn the labrum of my right acetabulum and medial meniscus of my knee. These injuries did not occur because of playing sports, but just from normal everyday activities. I was desparate when I started accutane because I thought to myself that I would do anything to have perfect skin. I was very wrong. I now have acne again, and added tothat is severe  joint pain. Please, if you are reading this and contemplating taking accutane, I beg you not to. Living with back pain and torn cartilages is a lot worse than living with acne. I have an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon in one week regarding the torn labrum of acetabulum. I heard scary things about surgery, so I'm not planning on taking the risk. I took a risk with my health once, and that will haunt me for the rest of my life. I am now depressed because I feel alone and hopeless.
27 years old, male, 130 lbs. First month, I started 20mg/day. Second month, 40mg/day. I'm starting my third month with 60mg/day now. Last night, I felt noticeable pain on my right ankle. The pain is still bearable. Rashes on my arms are more pronounced. I plan to continue my 60mg/day. I want my face to clear up and I'm going to hold out as long as I can.

I'm crossing my fingers that I don't get any permanent joint pains like many have expressed here. How is everyone else doing? Are there Accutane users that didn't have permanent joint pains? Maybe for some people, they were really temporary?
I'm experiencing the same back pain. I'm on my third month of treatment. I stopped at the end of two months. I also have so many rashes (they're red and some bumpy). My dermatologist ordered skin biopsy to see what's going on. I'll see him in a week. I hope the results aren't serious!
how are you doing now after accutane? did your back pain go away?
My 15yr old daughter has severe back pain! She slowly started getting it when she started acutane.  Of course her dermo says its a very minimal side affect, but tell my honor roll student who has missed 5 days of school bc she can not get out of  bed! She has been off for 3days, and no relief. Help.....any advice?
I have been suffering for the past year (6 months being on accutane and 6 months post).  I used to be an active person, but now, at age 21 I feel trapped in a dying 99 year old's body.  I am crippled with immobilizing pain.  I read many many people's testimony's and only yours offered hope.  I have no hope besides my Christian faith (may God show mercy on this pain I'm in) and in the thing I CAN change: my diet.  Thank you for your long response that I reread twice and saved!  In it I found a glint of hope that I CAN get better.  Bless you!
This is all very interesting to me. My 15 year old son was taking Accutane for only 9 days when he developed a rash, soreness and fever. Drs thought it was mono. He was sick for about 10 days with fever and rash. Dr. said it was probably viral. He ended up in hospital for a week all tests came back negative, saw infectious disease specialists etc. They still thought it was a virus that was unknown so discharged from hospital. A day later I took him back to the Dr. knowing that there was something terribly wrong...He now was limping and his neck hurt. Saw a Rheumatologists who right away said I believe your son has JRA. Needless to say We took him to a Childrens Hospital and he was diagnosed after several tests with Jeuvenile rheumatoid Arthritis. They don't know how this happens or what causes it. I truly believe that the Accutane triggered this in my son. He only took it for 9 days and it was 9 days toooo much. Before this he was healthy working out and training with his football team. Now he is on prednisone to help the inflamation. It has been 2 months and I just pray to God this will go in to remission for him. Be very cautious before taking this medicine. My sons acne is bad and I know he is getting depressed. It is tough seeing him deal with this but now we have a more serious issue added. Just thought I would share
i just stopped taking this drug...i  was on third month... because of severe joint pains, knee pains, lower back pain and three days back i started having shoulder pain... rite now im in pain..alll my body is aching... all thanks to people like you who are sharing their experiences... because i was told by my derm that this back pain and joint pains are "temporary" and will go away after the 6 month therapy.. i have read so many sites...in some cases  pains are permanent... this drug might work as a miracle drug for some people but on the other hand it might not work for some.... cause everyone is different and respond differently to the drug...
i started taking oratane last night. i have mild acne, not cystic though. derm put me on 20mg. however i am a recovering addict so on other medication (over 3 years clean and sober tho), but thank God my psych gave me the go-ahead. however there are a few questions i would appreciate answers to.
1) is it better to take it at night or in the morning?
2) can i expect joint pain within 24 hours, because my knee has almost immobilised me today? i am scared that if the effects are kicking in so soon that it might not be a good idea to continue with this.
3) and depression...is that very common, because i feel absolutely **** today and not sure if its just the day or the medication beginning to talk?
4) when can you expect the side effects to kick in?
thanks guys.
HI guys, read some of these stories and felt compelled to contribute my somewhat more unique opinion of Accutane.  I’ve taken it 4 times now and am currently about to finish 5 months of 60 mg’s a day with this last month at 80mg’s daily.  The first time I took it, I was depressed about 3 months after treatment but I got on paxil and went back to normal shortly after.  A few years later, I joined the military and had to get back on it.  I did 5 months of 80mg’s a day but this time didn’t experience any depression.   A few years later, I had to get back on it again for a third time at 80 mg’s a day for 5 months but never experienced depression.  The whole time I was grateful to be on it because with severe acne, people without a doubt treat you different.  Attention from girls is non-existent and friends in general are hard to obtain especially when you’re moving as much as I did during my service.  I can’t deny that every time I get on accutane and finish a cycle that my quality of life is raised.  But I will admit that after the third session, chronic back pain became an issue and has been ever since.

I’ve been seeing doctor after doctor about my back pain with almost zero progression or real diagnosis, it just hurts.  I used to be a huge athlete playing all sports and doing Special Forces training in the military but since I’ve gotten out, I haven’t been able to complete a full 8 week workout.  If accutane is the cause of all this pain then I’m not sure what to think.  I’ve benefitted a lot from accutane in terms of confidence and opportunity but my health definitely hasn’t been the best since I’ve gotten on it.  I’ve been contemplating staying on a continuo’s cycle of accutane since I fear breakouts so much but after reading these posts, I’m not sure what to do.  I appreciate accutane for helping look good because people definitely treat you much better without accutane.  That’s just the way it is but if my health is going to continue to deteriorate as a result then I’ll probably finish this last cycle and hopefully never have to get on it again but I’ve been saying that since I was 16 and inevitably my acne comes back, even as an adult.    
its been two months now... im off of accutane i didn't complete my accutane therapy.. i left after 3rd month..because i started having knee pains... but just recently i have severe joint pains.. i went to the doc.. he gave me all the tests from blood cp, esr, uric acid, blood fasting sugar, thyroid...
all the tests came out normal..except for the uric acid...its helll high! like way too high! so this the reason my every joint in the body is aching!
i was just wondering if accutane gives rise to uric acid in blood.. then i searched on google..it say yes it can do tht.... im extremely pissed off!!! coz im just 24 years old girl and feel like 80 years old granny!! i m now taking pain killers .. and wht and wht not...
i would just recommend if you start having any pains with accutane you should stop taking it right away!
i just hope my joint pains goooo awayy!!!
I agree with this. I had nodular acne since I was 9 years old (14 years), and I had not responded to any topical treatments, antibiotics, diane 35, acne facials or several face wash regimens. I had spent 1000's of dollars on treatments that did not work in the end, and hated my appearance. When I started Accutane, my skin suddenly responded and within a few months my skin looks the best it has ever looked. It is at least 80-90% better. I have had the side effects of lips peeling, my jaw is stiff (although I grind my teeth and I have braces right now) and my lower back gets sharp pains some days, but I am going to troop through it and drink more water and exercise more. Accutane really was my last ditch effort and I feel it saved me from a life of self consciousness and extreme scarring.
My 12 year-pld daughter is having an MRI on both knees today. She danced for a year prior to taking Accutane. One month into the treatment and she complained of knee pain after her class. She did not injure herself. This has been 5 months ago and it has gotten worse. It used to just hurt her when she jumped but now her knees get stiff just standing and sitting. She has been of the Tane for 2 months. I am wondering exactly what the mechanism of action is of this drug that causes specific and generalized arthritis?  Are there any supplements anyone has had luck with? Do these changes show up on imaging and if not, why not? I mean, shouldn't there be some kind of change in the knee or other joints if they are that painful?
Has anyone had the pain get better over time?
i just dont understand how roche are getting a away with a few ibs related
law suits when there poison has caused so much damage to so many peoples entire body!!! how can we prove this so that roche can crumble under the largest class action suit of all time?   please someone help!!!!!
I don't understand why people are placing children under the age of 16 on Accutane knowing what it can do. Your derm can recommend that your child take Accutane, but ultimately the decision is the parent's. There are warnings all over the labels (not to mention the internet if you do pre-prescription research) about pain and bones not growing and other such effects and if your child's growth is impacted in any way well...

I am an 18yo girl, and I am entering my last month and a half of treatment. I was a real risk prospect -- and it was the very last option -- as I already had a depression history, already experienced joint pain (for no discernable reason) and seem to be susceptible to extreme side effects (the pill seems to have ruined my heart's exercise capability). My mother, though hesitant, placed me on Accutane and it hasn't nearly been as bad as anyone above has describe and I feel like it's important that people see Accutane use on both sides.

My back is sore, but it was generally sore pre Accutane and I can't say that the medication has made it worse. What has been worse has been the general joint pain -- but I expected that. But it is in no way debilitating and I still function on a relatively normal level. I'm also quick to tire and can never seem to get enough sleep but, despite this pain and tiredness I make it to school each day and function relatively happily.

Accutane is certainly not as bad as people would make it out to be. My break outs have all but ceased, and that pleases me above all else (as do comments such as 'it's really cleared up'). But I would recommend a serious think and talk a serious talk with your dermatologist to make sure this is the product for you.
i took accutane for 8 months 40 mg a day... its been 3 moths since... I have never felt this terrible back pain in my life... this pain is killing me slowly im 23 yrs old and i feel like im 80, if i lay on my side my hears cartilage hurt and i feel like my ribs cant handle the weight of my body... so i cant lay on my side, laying my back makes my lower back hurt and laying on my belly makes my spine and neck hurt... when i bread i hear the back of my neck popping, i never had this intence pain and popping of my joints...i just practically finished rolling around the floor crying and im now doing a research to see what the hell i got myself into... yes my skin looks great but this pain is crazy.
for got to mention my right knee also hurts specially when driving and im pressing the gas pedal.
forgot to also mention i only weight 114 lbs so its not like my bones are holding much weight... but it feels like im carrying tons on my back
im here again....it's been more than 6 months now im off of accutane!! occasionally i do get sore shoulders and knee pains still....
turned 25, got married!
in mid of july i read on internet about glucosamine chondroitin msm supplement..... and started taking it!  (btw i wish i had known about this earlier.. i wouldn't have that much painful post accutane 2 months!.. i could barely walk! even was thinking of postponing my wedding! im glad i didn't! ;) )
Basically what accutane does is..it DRIES u up from inside out! i mean during tane course almost everyone suffers from dry skin and lips...and inside it dries ur "Hyaluronic acid ". Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is naturally present in the human body. It is found in the highest concentrations in fluids in the eyes and joints.
So what glucosamine does is..it lubricates the joints, which lubrication has been dried up by accutane.... which is why people get achy joints.
Some people are lucky enough that when they are off of tane. their body naturally builds back the hyaluronic acid... some people unlike me are not!!!!  
currently im taking GNC's TRI FLEX, it has glucosamine, chondroition MSM and this one has hyaluronic acid along with vitamin C!(which my previous glucosamine chondroition didnt have... so i find this one better.. works rite away!! )
recently shifted to UAE, it was 300 AED here.. somewhere around 78$.. so yeah its expensive!! :(
so the bottom line is im feeling much better.. im not completely well... sometimes achy joints, knees and all! (its because i dont take it faithfully, when i feel fine i don take it for two three days or more.. yeah i know i should be taking it regularly,... probably would also eliminate occasional joint pains...  ) one thing more... its not a drug, its a supplement. it doesn't start working rite away! it takes some time... so stick with it! my knees felt ease after taking it for three weeks in a row!
Next i would like to share..what other natural products i have found, after suffering from pains due to accutane...  i was and i am soo sick of pain killers.. just work temporarily! So did some research on natural anti inflammatory products..
One of the best thing i have found is "Turmeric".. a yellow spice found in Indian curry! google it and find out how it works as anti inflammatory.... and zillions of other benefits!!!!  (works for acne..works for joint  pains)
Second is ginger.... also google, how ginger is effective in joint pains.
Third is ACV... yes Apple cider vinger.... not the ordinary one, organic with the "Mother" is better! ..works with joint pains and acne!!!
last but not least! drink plenty of water..... i mean PLENTY of water.... Hydrate ur self!!!!!!!!!!
If i would have done much research about all this stuff earlier.. i would have never taken accutane.... Acne is  painful, but not as painful as physical and emotional pain u go through when u have achy joints at young age!!!!
Change ur lifestyle... enjoy every moment.. look for natural products.. they work and have no side effects!!!!!

p.s i do get one or two pimples once in a while.... i cure them with turmeric (taken orally) and acv applied topically!
...."back the hyaluronic acid... some people like** me are not!!!!  "

pardon for mistake
Congratulations!  So glad someone uses supplements to help him/herself.  I am a great fan of supplements.  I take Essiac for pain (I have no discs left and am walking around doing housework, etc.)  Zinc works wonders for some with acne.  I had a friend thank me once as Zinc cleared up her face just before her wedding day. -  I gave Zinc to my second husband as his face was horribly full of acne with white/green pus!  Yuck!  It cleared it right up including the ones on his back and shoulders.
Wow.  I'm totally blown away.  I was on Accutane for acne about 11 years ago, when I was 16.  When I was 17 I began to have severe problems with my hips and lower back.  My hips would give out, ache, have sharp pains and be very stiff.  I went to the doctor, who tested me for everything he could think of, using every test he could think of and failed to come up with anything.  I saw a joint specialist and she couldn't diagnose me either.  Since then, I've seen doctors in five different cities (including London, England and Toronto, two major cities with the best doctors available) and had many more tests done, finally ending up on Celebrex for "an undiagnosed arthritic condition".  I've had doctors tell me that it might be weight (although loosing and gaining make no change to the pain), that it must have been an infection that never healed, that it was psychological, or just made me feel like I was making it up for attention.  Not until tonight have I realized that there are other people that have been through a similar experience.  Not until tonight have I realized that it might have been the Accutane.  I'm shocked and can't believe that after all that I've been through for testing, worrying, the pain and sadness, no doctor has yet to suggest the link or even ask me about Accutane.  I can't believe that after 10 years of chronic undiagnosed pain, I might have finally found an reason why.  Amazing.  Question is, now, armed with this new insight, what do I do?  
I am 24 years old and first was treated with accutane when I was 17/18. It was severe acne and I had tried other remedies including oxytetracycline but nothing worked. I was on it for 6 months and the acne cleared up but came back 6 months later so was put on it for an additional 12 months.

Then at 23, after 5 years the acne came back. It wasn't as severe as when I was a teenager so I tried "Proactive" (a cleansing routine advertised by Katy Perry!) first as I didn't want to put my body through unnecessary treatments. But as they didn't work I started accutane or isotreninol as it's also known as, in August/September 2012. I'm a few months in now.

I've suffered from back pain since I was 18. It was mild pain so I did nothing about it. It got worse by the time I was 20 so went to the GP. He suggested physio. I didn't want to cause a fuss so I did nothing. Then at 22 it got crippling bad. I went to a chiropractor who cracked my back but the pain only left me for a few days then came back. I then tried physio and have recently been going swimming nearly everyday to help. But this exercise has now caused sciatica pain down my legs which make it hard to walk.

On a slight hunch I decided to google accutane and back pain. I'm shocked. I can't believe I may have finally found the cause of my chronic back pain. It's never made sense to me. I eat and exercise and I'm only young. I can't believe I caused this.

I'd rather have the terrible acne that I had as a teenager than have another day of this pain. Every second day and night I am in pain.

I guess all I can do is come off the drug, eat healthy, eat plenty of fish, drink lots of water and continue swimming. If anyone has any sites on how to reverse the effects of accutane please share them.

Thank you everyone.
me toooo  evary  part off my body pains
I started Accutane in 1988 around age 32, for four months. I remember first off my ankle joints were very painful and affected toes. I could hardly walk. I had to stop wearing contact lenses, because  it caused excessive dryness. In general I felt painful all over, moody, began to gain weight, bowel problems. Sensitive to touch, anyone touching me and furniture choices. I wish I had listened to my husband's loving advice and protection to stop the Acccutane. I did the full course. Since then my feet are still painful, all my joints are dry and very arthritis, I have had to have two total kneeplacements. I my soft tissue through body around bones have tears. I was in cast to heal them. My thumb joints need to be replaced neck and lumbar needs 3-4 levels of fusion. I had a doctor look at me recently and said its like I am drying up from the inside out. I will be 57 years old in September 2013. There's so much more say that about my parts that are deterring.  I healthy conscious with food and drink all my life. I do know that Accutane destroyed my quality of life. What to do? Is there a reversing medication for this? I know I signed all those papers. I keep eye drop by my bed, I tear my corneas when I blink my dry eyes. Is there genuinely any help  out there that will help? Thanks for listening. I don't know really what this done for me, but for others do not the accutane drug.
I think you need to consult with doctor. Joint pain is a common side effect to Accutane.
I took it for 7 days 6 months ago and it has destroyed me. joint pain is severe all the time. test have come back negative for everything and i still have no diagnosis. Drs and Derms all say it could not have done this. Fighting every day to get someone to listen. Was diagnosed today with post tramatic stress and severe depression, but nothing on the joint and muscle pain. Can i ask if you have had any immaging of your joints and if there is any calsification? forgive they typos...fingers dont work and i also have the added symptom of blureed vision since my week of accutain, and have lost most of my hearing.
I'm so sorry....you are not crazy! Two weeks into this drug I started with severe back pains...now all of a sudden I have ankylosing spondylitis a genetic disease of the joints ...no one in my family has that!...I stopped accutane but it's not going away. I'm only 33.
Prior to taking isotretinoin I was a healthy 12.5st 6'2" <5% body fat kind of guy who played sport nearly every day, with moderate cystic acne. I was fortunate to be a very healthy and active person.

Like someone above, I took roughly the equivalent of 60mg/day for six months on the UK's NHS and began experiencing crippling knee pain during my treatment for which I saw various doctors, none of whom blamed the symptoms to isotretinoin in spite of my suggestion of it as a cause. So, having initially been advised the symptoms were nothing to do with isotretinoin by more than one doctor, my dermatologist did at least acknowledge that they might well be due to the isotretinoin, but that the pain would go away after treatment. The pain proceeded to worsen and over the course of this past year, despite me having stopped on the drug, all of my major joints have become affected and are getting gradually worse. Hips, shoulders and knees especially. Everything has dried up and my eyesight has deteriorated very noticeably. I have had plenty of blood work done and there are no inflammatory markers that suggest RA. I am also losing hair at a ridiculous rate and my scalp flakes horribly, something which astonishingly my GP denies is related to isotretinoin. This worsening physical health is in spite of quite stable mental health for the past few months(I became acutely depressed when the damage of isotretinoin began to show). My skin doesn't heal properly any more and scars easily from small scratches. I am 22 and can no longer enjoy physical exercise. I am constant mild pain and take painkillers most days. It is devastating.

Taking this drug will be the single greatest mistake of my inevitably shortened life. Like everyone I did some research before taking this drug and can say that the safety of this drug is remarkably exaggerated both by the drug companies on the labels and most dangerously of all by the dermatologists who prescribe it so willingly. The label (well, for the The Beacon pharmaceuticals generic, anyway) does nothing to emphasise that a great deal of the listed side effects of this drug can and often are permanent, and the dermatologists certainly never informed me of this. Interestingly, I noticed no substantial lasting effects after my first course, although my acne did return. I told my [new] dermatologist that I was scared about side effects when considering a second course and he responded by prescribing me half the standard dose but for twice the time – something that, if anything, probably worsened the lasting side effects I experience today. I do wonder how these people sleep at night – I suspect it's because they don't actually understand the biochemical basis of this drug – they don't have to. As a recent biology graduate, I have been able to understand quite a bit about this drug (except for the clinical/pharmacokinetics stuff – I'm no medic). It is a comically unselective and unsuitable pharmacological compound for use as anything other than a life saving drug (it's original use).

My dermatologist even had the cheek to console me that my joint pain would go away before prescribing me my last batch of this drug and later deny his consolation in writing after I complained. I really do wonder how men like him sleep at night.

This drug will one day be banned. Once we elucidate the trail of invisible (and hypothetically somewhat heritable) epigenetic and telomeric destruction it leaves behind, it will be banned. Once we see a generation of late middle-aged people dying young from impaired wound healing and crippled by rheumatic disorders and osteoarthritis, the medical profession will realise its mistakes. However, until then, the difficulties of statistically disproving the safety of a drug with such a variety of adverse effects, combined with the blasé attitudes of dermatologists who prescribe this wonder drug will continue mame young and otherwise healthy people.

(I've never written all of this down before.)

Bede
- Wow, I thought I was the only one who had all these same issues.. I took Accutane at Age 17-18 and almost died..  They told me I had severe liver damage, but would recover in time.. The following months I felt like I had the flu.. According to the Dr's, my liver had returned to normal.. However, I never did.. Since that time, I have struggled with joint pain, lower back pain, fatigue, headaches, lack of energy, and constant aches and pains, all which have been reviewed by Dr's and they say nothing is wrong.. I am now Age 40.. All conditions still exist.. I just thought this was all me.. I am so sorry for all who are experiencing these condtions.. I been living in my own world of hell for over 20 years and don't wish it on anyone. Nobody else understands what you are going through.. I thought fibromyalgia was about as close to what I have going on as a disorder, and I would guess that is what the Dr's are going to keep passing this on to... My advise is: If you are taking Accutane, think real hard about the consequences.. They were never explained to me.. Even at 17 it may have been hard to think about the negative effects, as acne make life suck more than anything.. The bottom line is my acne went away with age : my pain will stay with me forever...
Hi Aramre,

I was wondering if your joint pain ever went away.  If it did, how long it took you to be pain free.  I took accutane for about 2 months and stopped it after getting severe joints pain. Knees and back of the heels of my leg are the worst. I can't even walk propery and limping all the time.  Its been about 3 weeks already since I stopped taking accutane and the pain has not gone away.  I wonder how long it will take before th pain goes away. Would appreciate your response or anybody else who has been on the same boat. Thanks.
FOR EVERYBODY READING THIS I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU BUU BLACK SEED OIL AND START TAKING ONE SPOON IN WATER AND LEMON. THIS WILL BE LIFE SAVIOUR FOR YOU AND IS GUARANTEED TO WORK. THIS IS TOUTED AS THE CURE OF ALL DISEASES BUT DEATH BY OUR BELOVED PROPHET MOHAMED. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HEALTHY THIS MIRACLE OIL IS. EVERYDAY SCIENTISTS ARE DISCOVERING NEW SHOCKING BENEFITS FROM IT. I ONLY DID THIS ACCOUNT TO WRITE THIS COMMENT AND TO SHARE WITH YOU THIS MIRACLE OIL FOR HELPING YOU HAVE A MUCH BETTER LIFE. MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
Supplementing with vitamin D is a must as vitamin a from accutane knocks out the vit d receptor so you need excess vitamin d to balance. 10,000 d3 iu a day atleast...GUARANTEED to work in a week
Worst decision ever!
I had never had acne problems growing up, im 26 years old young female. I went on birth control pill the doctor suggested (Levlen ED) for contraceptive reasons. After being on it for a few months I decided to stop it since I didn't need it any more. A month after I had break outs everywhere!!! started on my chin then my forehead then slowly on the side of my cheeks...just terrible. not being so used to this I was horrified and did everything I could to get rid off it. All over counter products that did nothing but burn and irritate my skin and damage my skin further by causing hyper pigmentation. Then I tried minocycle which kinda helped but it side effect was terrible vaginal thrush I didn't like.  Then i thought it was time to go consult with derm... after giving her a brief story of  my struggle it didn't take her long to suggest accutane to me. I was pretty shocked but not knowing much about the drug like I do now I was kinda passive and didnt really question her reasoning. Also since I really just wanted the oil productive caused by my hormonal imbalance to go away the only way to get rid of it was to start on accutane that grantees permanent result. i weight 54kg so she started me on 40mg dose a day!!! yesss! that's for a white head acne!!!  my acne is not even cystic at all.. long story short.. I ended up trying to give it ago and completed 10 days of 40mg.. on the 9th day I did a minor weigh and 15min cardio workout at the gym. I usually do this just fine with nil problems.. post workout about 7 hours later I started to feel pain in my mid section back. This back pain worsen the next day...and on the scale to 1 to 10.. it was 10/10!!! I couldnt sleep, couldnt walk straight, or sit... for two days I was stuck in my bed with heat back on my back. and this was all in just 10 days! just gose to show how powerful this drug was. my skin cleared up yeah but my face was soo pale and dry at the same time. I immediately stopped the drug even though it said to not stop taking the drug without consulting the derm...if you ask why, I dont know?.. I wasnt going to damage myself further till i have the next appointment booked.. I'm looking into flashing out my system of this toxic drug first before I go on to trying natural way of clearing out my white head acne. if sharing this could help someone other there im more than happy. STAYYYY AWAY FROM ACCUTANE!!!!
Hello, just to give you all my support with your illness. I have experienced the same problem since 2008 and I feel worse everyday. Have you improved since you published this post? Have you tried glucosamine? Best regards!
I have taken Glucosamine Condroitin and Krill Oil daily for the last 6 months and cannot tell a difference.  I took Accutane when I was in my 30's (I am now 59) ... so around 1990 when it first came out.  I noticed joint pain right away, but at the time thought it was worth it.  My pain is mainly in my hips.  At first, I could no longer go on long hikes or bike rides, etc., but it has progressed to where sometimes I cannot walk up stairs or even lift one leg to cross the other.  Otherwise I am a healthy, thin person with a good diet. Xrays show very little arthritis and all the docs are stumped when I show up in so much pain.  A little voice in the back of my head always told me it was the Accutane, and now after reading all the sufferers out there, I agree.  
Hi, what is your height? And how tall are you? Another patient told me that he feels much better when he loses weight. I am very skinny and I am trying to gain weight.
Did anybody ever contact you about this? Did you find a way to join a class action suit?
I ask because I took Accutane when I was 15 and by 18 I was diagnosed with JRA as well. I am now 44 and have spent thousands of dollars on doctors, test, and medicine. I have even had joint replacement surgeries. It's very sad indeed. But I'm hopping there's a light at the end of the tunnel?
You can email me at ***@****. Thank you, Tanya
hi!
are you still fully recovered? i mean to say that it happened with me in past where i thought i  recovered fully from accutane but i was wrong. my side effects are  extreme joint clicking/popping/grinding. and i am 100% sure that they are caused by accutane.
everyone please!! we acknowledge the joints pain, are there any solution!!?? knowing the problem is the half of the answer we should focus on fixing rather than complaining, please whom ever know the solution please tell, and everyone just stop complaining and stay strong ! may God help us all
How can you say stop complaining?? I was in a wheelchair for 5 months because of this drug, I couldn't walk, move my shoulders and arms, I also lost my left eye to it and you have the temerity to say stop complaining..!! The only solution is not to take this poison..........................
I've tried both original brand and generic accutane. I prefer generic accutane - There is no difference in effectiveness as far as I can tell between the brand and generic versions. The real difference is price, no comparison. And this suppliers seem honest and reliable. On the site RXPHARM911.COM I've just placed my 3rd order.
I take Bromelain 2,400 to 3,000 GDU/tab either 1 or 2 tabs on an empty stomach 3 times a day when i have a flare-up til symptoms subsides and then decrease to 1 or 2 tabs nightly at bedtime for maintenance.  My Crohn's Disease and severe joint pain and stiffness occured 2 yrs after i finished the Accutane.  I can barely make it thru the day cuz I so tired all the time but at least now the pain is under control where I don't have to feel like I would rather end my life.
I was on accutane for 6 months 90mg/ day back in 2014. I had the occasional joint pain, dryness, and moodiness. However,  now almost 2 years later my skin feels incredible, I have no more pain in my joints. No more dryness, and I am the happiest I've been in 10 years. I truly believe this drug effects every single person differently. Myself and a few close friends have all taken accutane and have had no problems what so ever.
Hi. My son is 13 years old and is on 80 mg/day. He weighs 130 lbs. He can&#39;t run anymore because of joint pain. Is there anything I can do. My 31 and 26 yr old sons were on accutane in their teens and never had joint pain. Is there anything I can do, he wants to play football?