Acne Community
Accutane and weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Accutane and weight loss

Hi, I am on my 5th week of Accutane and started a health kick about the same time - going to the gym 3 times a week for an hour of cardio vascular activity and started a healthy diet in order to lose around 14 pounds (2 pounds a week). I am 5'9 and 150 pounds currently. I have been eating around 1100 calories a day on the days without exercise and then 1100 plus whatever I have calculated to have burned off in the gym as extra.

The problem is, I am not loosing any weight at all and want to know if this is a side effect of the accutane. I have searched everywhere on net for answer to this and all I seem to read about is people who are on the same drug who have said they havent changed a thing to their diet or exercise regime but have gained or lost 8lbs or near enough. Im taking 35mg at moment and will be doubling that next month.

I'd really appreciate a response and know many other people will have the same question.

Hi. Accutane has been linked to numerous potential side effects including depression, menstrual disturbance, liver problems, sunburn and hair loss. However, like you, whilst I have found patients describe weight loss/weight gain on the internet I have not found any medical evidence to support this.
Be careful working out whilst on Accutane as it can cause muscle and joint pain.
Eloise.