Acne Community
Accutane question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Accutane question

Hey, Ok my question is, what does accutane do to your skin to make sure that acne doesn't come back. Like 80% of people don't have acne after they finish there accutane course so obviously accutane does something to there skin to make sure it doesn't come back. So what does it do?
My dermo said it permanently shrinks your oil glands.  
Hi.
Accutane shrinks the sebaceous (oil) glands in the skin semi-permanently. They grow back very slowly, by which time you are highly likely to have outgrown your tendancy to acne. This is why the majority of patients remain acne-free indefinately.
I was apart of the 20% that my acne came right back...but I went on it for a second course and my face has been clear for months now...Its the only real chance of getting rid of it.