Acne Community
Accutane
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Accutane

I have been seeing a dermatologist since I was thirteen years old for my acne. Unfortunately all the antiboitics and face topicals never really seemed to work or only did for a short period of time before my acne came back. At 18, I was put on accutane, which worked well and I experience little to no side effects and my cystic acne disappeared. For the past two years, my face has been very clear and I have had little to no cystic acne;however, this last year ( I am 21 now.) it has started to reappear. I have been to the dermatologist three times and we have tried some antibiotics, but I know I cannot stay on antibiotics forever. Can patients "go back" on accutane since it worked well before? Are there any other options?
Related Discussions
309783_tn?1271961829
Hi. 80% of Accutane patients experience a long term remssion from acne after one course lasting 16-24 weeks. 20% of patients (including myself) warrant a second or third course.
It is sensible of your dermatologist to re-try oral antibiotics as these sometimes work better after Accutane than they did before.
There are other options such as laser treatment (and anti-androgens for female patients only). But another course of Accutane remains your best hope of a long term remission from acne. Discuss this with your dermatologist at your next appointment.
Eloise.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Acne Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank