Acne Community
Acne Around Mouth And Chin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Acne Around Mouth And Chin

Hi I am 14 years old (male) and I am going through puberty. Over this summer I started to develop acne around my mouth and chin and it has really been bothering me and my self esteem. I cleanse my face gently everyday with Clean & Clear facial cleanser. (Twice a day) I have tried benzoyl peroxide as well but that also has not been showing many results. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to possibly treat this awful thing called acne, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Hi Clay!

First, try to improve your skin health and overall health from the inside. Avoid fried and processed foods high in saturated and trans fats. Eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits every day. Salmon is excellent for the skin; you can buy wild salmon canned and make it like tuna salad for sandwiches. Also get lots of aerobic exercise.

Next, you need to wash your face every morning and evening with lukewarm (not too hot) water and a mild soap (glycerin). After washing and drying, swipe a Stridex pad (alcohol free, maximum strength) all over your face. Let air dry. Then use a light coating of benzoyl peroxide 10% on oily and acne prone areas. For large pimples. spot treat with a sulfur-based acne formula (like Clearasil).

Lastly, keep your hands clean (wash them often, use sanitizer) and avoid touching your face throughout the day.

Keep up this routine and you will be pleased with the results. But don't stop when you see improvement! Generally you will need to keep up your acne-battle routine until you are on the other side of adolescence.