Acne Community
Acne Scars left by a topical steroid(Triamcinolone acetonide)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Hello, I'm a 19 yr old guy.
I've got moderate acne on my face, primarily cheeks and forehead.
One of my mom's friends who is a retired nurse suggested the use of a topical steroid
known as triamcinolone acetonide. She said it cured her son's acne. So I gave it a shot.
Huge improvement. Stopped using after it ran out. Noticed my skin became extremely thin and sensitive.
I got back on it after a few months and when I had broke out BAD.

The cream left scars of every pimple ( dark spots ) all over my face and I still have them 'til this day.
Ever since I noticed the scars I completely got off the topical steroid.
I still have moderate acne , but everytime a pimple heals it now leaves a permanent scar, unlike
how they use to heal and disappear.
I now have dark scars all over my face from the cream, and I'd like to know if it is irreversible.
Please help if there is any way I can erase these marks left by the cream or are they permanent??

Best regards
Topical steroids are useful in the treatment of inflammed skin, for example when an allergic reaction has occured. However, they should not be used for acne or rosacea. Although they reduce inflammation, topical steroids can actually make acne worse. They should also only be used on the face if advised by a doctor because they cause thinning of the skin. Steroids are usually only used for a short period of time.

It is not clear from your post how long ago this occured. Most acne scarring is superficial and heals within one year. A topical retinoid called Retin-a (tretinoin) will clear both active acne and post-acne scarring. But make sure you consult your doctor to see if this is suitable for you, never use medications prescribed for someone else.
Acne usually responds well to a course of oral antibiotics such as Lymecycline or Oxytetracycline. These can be used in addition to topical gels.
If a fair trial of the above medications result in failure or relapse, your GP may refer you to a dermatologist for stronger treatment.
Eloise.