Acne Community
Acne for 23 years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Acne for 23 years

I am a 35 year old woman and I have had varying degrees of acne since I was 12. At the moment I'm on a 3 month course of Sulfatrim and using the Aczone gel once a day.  

I have done it all Acutane for 8 months, Proactive, every over the counter and percription cream gel face wash, liquid nitrogen once a week, chemical peels once a week. I do have Endometriosis diagnosed at 19 I've been in depoproveiria for 15 years and my hormone levels are normal. I also have Hypothyroid which has caused a nasty case of insulin resistance my levels last test was 410. They put me on the metaformin for 2 years leveled me out still got the acne so I quit taking the meds cuz they made me sick as hell for the whole time I was on them.  

I have tried everything drinking 4 liters of water a day only eating raw food ever crazy home remedy and stupid diet that's supposed to help. Even chopped off all my hair so my hair oils didn't rub off on to my face. I don't have oily skin. I wash my face twice a day 3 times if I wear makeup that day. I three step with Cetaphil cleanser a blackhead removing toner and a oil free cetaphil moisturizer.

I've seen half a dozen different Dermatologists over the years and not a one of them have been able to clear up my face. Anyone have any ideas cuz I'm at my wits end here.
Hello Dear,
Here are some effective home remedies that will surely work for acne.

• Cut the tomato and rub it on the skin. Leave on for fifteen minutes. Wash it off with water. This treatment is good particularly for oily skin.
• Egg whites are also used to get rid of acne. Apply it on face and leave overnight. Wash off in the morning.
• Mix 1-tablespoon groundnut oil with 1-tablespoon fresh lime juice to prevent formation of pimples.
• Fresh lime juice mixed to a glass of boiled milk can be applied to the face as a face wash for pimples
Hi there!

Well, the management of acne would depend on the type and severity of acne. If all possible local treatment modalities have failed; systemic/ interventional modalities such as systemic medications, dermabrasion etc may need to be considered. I would suggest considering an evaluation by a dermatologist for suggestion of an appropriate management plan.

Take care!
I've seen 6 different Dermatologists in the past 10 years. Seeing doctors are free here in Canada and most treatments are covered by my Blue Cross. The problem is the doctors are at a loss of what to do now their recycling ideas like putting me on the antibiotics and back on the acutane. My Acne is mild to moderate it's covering most of my face mainly on my cheeks and chin there small bumps, tiny whiteheads and blackheads. I rarely get large red swollen whiteheads it's no where near cystic acne. I can cover them up with makeup they are easily concealed but the surface of my face is very bumpy and if your less then 4 feet away from me you can tell how bumpy my skin is. My problem is that they have run out of ideas and now there just repeating treatments they have already done.
Hello Dear,

I can honestly say I've never used a tomato on my skin for my acne but then again my skin is more on the dry side then oily. Which is best for normal to dry skin. I do use egg whites in my hair a lot to add moisture after I colour it, had never thought of using it on my face.