Acne Community
Acne in pregnancy - any treatments?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Acne in pregnancy - any treatments?

I am 16 weeks pregnant and have developed bad acne on my back. Have always suffered from acne and used to take minocyclin and the pill to control it but am now unable to. Any suggestions on treatments which are safe to apply to the skin whilst pregnant?
I've read about Isolutrol - any feedback?
Hi. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I would avoid even topical acne medications during pregnancy as there is a risk small quanities will be passed on to the baby.
The good news is that now you are in the second trimester your skin should start to clear up due to the change in hormones. I had clear skin from week 17 to the birth of my son. You can recommence the contraceptive pill 21 days after delivery providing you choose not to breastfeed.
Eloise x