Acne Community
Adult Acne

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Adult Acne

I have had moderate to sever acne since I was a teenager.  I am now 25.  I am on doxycicline hyclate 100mg 2x a day, atralin, benzaclin, and a 10% benzoyl peroxide wash.  I have been on this regimen for about 5 years.

This treatment works ok, but not as good as it used to...I probably get a bad break out 1-3 times a month. If i miss a day of the creams and soap, I break out..

After consulting my dermatologist, he reco'd I get off of everything at once and go on a 20mg day dose of accutane.  He claims the lower dose will avoid an initial break out and he says after doing this for 4-5 months, 1-3 times..I will be cured of acne.

My questions...what are the odds of accutane curing acne?  What are the odds of avoiding an initial breakout since it is a lower dose (I feel like an initial break out is unavoidable since I am transition from 1 treatment to another...)

Lastly, he felt pretty strongly about a lower dose being strong enough to cure acne...thoughts??

Thank you for your time

Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Were you able to start the low-dose accutane management for your acne?  Accutane is a form of vitamin A and it reduces the amount of oil released by oil glands in the skin as well as help the skin renew itself more quickly. This is usually given after other acne medicines or antibiotics have been tried with no improvement of symptoms. However, results may vary from person to person and it is recommended that you take it as prescribed by your doctor. Take care and do keep us posted.