Acne Community
Adult acne and thyroid disorder relation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

I am a relatively healthy 25 year old female. I have had acne since I was maybe 12 or 13. Extremely sensitive skin- adverse reactions to salicylic acid and anything higher than a 2% benzoyl peroxide. Have tried differin, retin-a, duac, also natural solutions such as tea tree oil, lemon, honey, coconut, eggs, yogurt, witch hazel. Also have tried systems such as proactiv and muriad to no avail. Have completely overhauled my diet- hardly any sugar, no white/ refined starches, very little dairy, no red meat, lots of veggies, lots of water. No caffine, little to no alcohol. Multi vitamin every day and extra Zinc, Calcium, and Magnesium. Plenty of sleep. Cleanse skin at least 2x/day (sometimes I have to do 3 due to my oil production). Exfoliate regularly, but not too harshly. Change my pillow case every other night (flipping sides in between), and never use the same towel on my face without washing it. I do not touch my skin except for when my hands are clean and I am in front of a mirror, and I use no hair products, and keep it off of my face. I am an esthetician, so I know how to take care of the skin and I know about underlying causes of ance, but I am STILL CONSTANTLY breaking out. I will be sure to have my face clear of whiteheads before bed and EVERY morning, I wake up with at least 2 or 3 new ones. When I leave my house for work during the day, no whiteheads, but by the time I get home another 2 or 3 on my face. I do not use heavy makeups, and all of my products are oil-free and non comedogenic.(Not trying to be long-winded, just trying to make it clear that I have tried to eliminate every possibility of what the cause could be) I was recently talking to one of my co-workers while she was giving me a facial and she mentioned that it may be a thyroid disorder. I was thinking that or possibly something hormonal- but I have no insurance (independent contractor) and was wondering if there is cause to go see an endocrinologist at out-of-pocket expense. I have been in and out of the dermatologist office and truly feel like nothing they do helps. I really don't want to go on Accutane due to the horrendus side effects. Any ideas on what's going on with my skin? Please help!
Hi!  Maybe you should see an endo doctor.  My face is very oiley too. Mine is from a hormone imballance.  Good luck!
Alright, thank you for your reply. I think I might need to- it feels more hormonal than thyroid (not that I know what thyroid problems feel like- I've just always figured it was some sort of hormonal thing).
Hey There!

I think your acne is hormonal too... Just like mine. I am seeing a naturopath she suggested things to get your hormones balanced such as: Vitex, estroblock and evening primrose oil.

You can pretty much google the different supps. you can take to balance out your hormones. It sux big time, I know the feeling and hate it.

Oh...I too also have a thyroid issue, we caught it as it was starting to get active... not too alarming yet, so I am taking a supp called Thyrobalance.

Also are you on BC? Because that plays a huge roll too.

My only strong advice is....Whatever you do DONT GO ON THE PILL FOR ACNE. Its just not worth the trouble after.

All the best... let us know how you go.
Estroblock is awesome for hormonal acne! I got off birthcontrol and use Estroblock everyday! Acne miracle for me!