Acne Community
Antibiotics made skin worse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Antibiotics made skin worse

I had previously few acne marks on my face and 1 or 2 active acnes generally but it wasn't bad and my face was mostly clear. But because whenever I get acne it leaves marks and so I decided to go to a dermatologist to help with that. He prescribed me minocycline at first and the first month my skin went worse and I suddenly had so many acnes which leaves marks. The zorac cream he also prescribed me to use every night made my skin so oily, as I already have normal to oily skin, which I think doesn't help with my acne as when it's oily I think I get more acne. But the dermatologist said it takes at least 2 months before any effects so after 2 months I went back to him and complained. He then prescribed me another antibiotic doxycycline which doesn't help either as my face is still really bad after taking it for 2 months. I made an appointment to see him in a week's time and have stopped taking my antibiotic and just keep taking my antibiotic twice a week instead about a week ago.

I noticed that after stopping my face dried up and is a little bit clearer already. My dermatologist did say that if the antibiiotics didn't work he will prescribe me to use roacutane. My question is... is it common that antibiotics that prevents acne could also make it worse, as in my case, and is roacutane any better and will it help get rid off the marks as well or not?

Thanks!
Hi. It is not uncommon to have an "initial outbreak" or temporary worsening of acne when starting a new regime, as unseen pimples come to the surface.
It is generally better to persevere with one antibiotic rather than change to another brand before the first has had time to work. A second-line treatment should be started if no improvement is seen after 3 months.
Roaccutane is the most effective acne treatment available and is prescribed when other medicines result in failure or relapse. 80% of Roaccutane patients experience a long term remission from acne after one course lasting 16 to 24 weeks.
Eloise.