Acne Community
Breakout when shaving with Razor?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Breakout when shaving with Razor?

Hey everyone. I have kind of an interesting question...

I used to have pretty bad acne (moderate) from about freshman year in high school till senior year. Just finally (Senior in college) my acne is completely gone. But theres a catch...

I cant shave my face with a razor!

Currently every time I shave I use a sideburn clipper and shave it down short, but not to the skin. When I do this, i have no problems with Zits or anything..

But whenever I shave the hair down to the skin with an electric razor or razor blade, when it grows back I get zits, usually even the next day I have 1 or a few.

why is this??

is it just my facial skin being irritated by the hair growing up and out of the skin?

This is soo odd.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something I can try, maybe like an aftershave or something?

thanx

Tags: shaving, Acne
Hi, If you aren't doing so already, I'd try shaving after your shower.  The hot water and steam will help to open your pores.  I would also get a good exfoliating scrub and use that in the shower.  This will lift your hair.  Try a moisturizing shaving gel and a nice sharp razor blade, too.  

ok cool, thanx! i will try this method when i get some time and report how it works out.

You could  be getting ingrown hairs. I just started using  a exfoliating scrub and a good face lotion after I shave and I havnt had any problems with them anymore.  If you ever want to get back to using a blade I suggest you look at the Art of Shaving products for men.  I got their ingrown hair kit and it comes with a real badger brush some good lotion and some night creme to help your beard grow back through the skin without bumps.  And if they are pimples, try using zap zyt.  It is in a little white tube with orange letters and It has 10% benzoyl peroxide ( works really good overnight).  Hope this helps.