Acne Community
Camping and severe acne

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Camping and severe acne

I am a female, 23 years old, with super fair and sensitive skin (white blonde/freckles) and in good health. No serious health issues or bad health history. Allergic to amoxicillin and general environmental allergies. Excellent blood pressure and ideal weight. Except, I have two very very challenging issues that have been colliding: severe acne and severe trypanophobia (fear of needles that has progressively worsened to include a fear of seeking medical help face-to-face).

I once saw a dermatologist in desperation (4 years ago) who agreed to put me on minocycline for a year without a blood test. During that time I was using birth control (with back-up), allergy medications (Allegra D) and vitamins (all of which have been thought to react poorly with minocycline). I did not have ANY side effects to my knowledge. And the minocycline was amazing! It was like getting my life back - no more fear and self-consciousness. My acne even stayed away for a while once my prescription ran out.

Sadly, I have an incredibly stressful job now and my acne has been flaring up uncontrollably. Also, I am hiking 900 miles of the Appalachian Trail in just two weeks with my fiance. My acne always gets worse when I cannot wear makeup to protect my skin or clean regularly with products. I am terrified that it will increase over the 2.5 months and create scarring again.

After seven months, I finally mustered up the courage to see a general doctor a month ago and ended up hyperventilating in her office, throwing up, and leaving the clinic in a complete panic after she trapped me in her office insisting on a blood test before writing the prescription. She was also very discouraging, too, about that fact that I am on birth control. (I am engaged, and we do not want kids yet. Condoms are not a possibility, but he pulls out. I know it's not ideal, but it is the best back-up we can use.) If I cannot get minocycline, what CAN I do? Is there another variation of minocycline that does not require a blood test? What will I do when I am out in the wilderness? Can I pack anything to help? (I use a mild Olay brand exfoliant, Cetaphil face wash, and light Neutrogena lotion daily. Surprisingly, oil-free makeup also seems to help significantly, but I can't bring this all with.)

Help, please!  
Tags: severe acne, Minocycline, Camping, Acne, help, needle phobia