Acne Community
Can Accutane cause kidney damage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Can Accutane cause kidney damage?

After 30 days on Accutane, I have begun to have severe pain in my lower back.  At first I thought it was muscular, but now I am beginning to think it is kidney pain.  Should I be concerned about kidney damage on this medication?
Kidney pain is usually felt higher up in the back than you describe. Infection in the kidneys may also cause pain when urinating. If you have to take antibiotics for a kidney infection or UTI whilst on Accutane, make sure they are NOT tetracyclines which are contra-indicated for use with Accutane.
Accutane can cause both kidney and liver problems and you should be having regular blood tests whilst on this medication. Kidney and liver problems will not necessarily preclude you from further Accutane treatment, but you may be advised to continue at a lower dose or take a break from the medication. Taking a lower dose may result in a longer therapy time.
Accutane is known to cause muscle and joint pain, but this should subside as your body becomes used to the medication.
Eloise.