Acne Community
Can a young child have acne?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can a young child have acne?

My 7 year old started getting white pimples on her forehead and it looks like acne. Does anyone have a child in a similar situation and what treatment have they used that proved to work? I have an appointment to the dermatologist but I would also like to get feedback from other parents and doctors.

Thank you!
M.
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
933038_tn?1334442792
Hi madame1,

Children of that age can get acne. I wouldn't try any treatments until you have seen the dermatologist, the problem with normal acne treatments is that they are so harsh on the skin, and so would definitely be too harsh for a childs skin. In a child that young hormonal changes may be the reason for the eruption. There maybe another skin conditions that will explain this and i'm sure the dermatologist will come up with a suitable treatment.

Good luck!
Blank
309783_tn?1271961829
You have done the right thing booking an appointment with a dermatologist. Childhood acne should never be ignored as it can be a symptom of a premature puberty. My son has this problem and was prescribed Differin (Adapalene 0.1%). Differin should not be used on children under 12, except on the advice of a doctor or dermatologist.
My son was also refered to an Endocrinologist, for hormone tests. Acne is caused by raised levels of androgens (male hormones) which doesn't usually occur until adolescence.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Eloise.
Blank
We have the same problem with our 7 yo daughter. One doctor said it could not be hormonal and was most likely an allergy. Two other doctors have since said it definately looks hormonal. We are trying clearasil as we tried 2% steroid cream and that did not help at all.
Blank
my daughter is 10 years old and she is having acne
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Acne Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979