Acne Community
Cystic Acne and swollen lump under jaw

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Cystic Acne and swollen lump under jaw

Hello
I am 29 years old. I have had acne sporadically throughout adolescence until present. However, I have had the worse and most unusual acne breakout in my life. It is scarring of course and I no longer look like myself.
It is mostly concentrated on the jawline but I have had a few pimples on my forehead. The acne is cystic in nature. I have made an appointment to see a dermatologist but I was only able to get an appointment 3 weeks from now.
What is most worrying now is that I noticed just yesterday a slight swelling under my jaw and there is a lump. It is tender at touch.
I should probably also mention that I have heavy facial hair growth from ever since and I have been removing hair from my face with creams for years. I have now stopped since this breakout for fear of irritating the skin any further.
My skin apart from the acne and scars is now extremely dry and even taut.
What could've caused this sudden breakout that is lasting for months and getting even worse? Is there any correlation between the cystic acne breakout and the swollen lump under my jaw?  Should I, in the meantime, go see a GP about this lump instead of waiting to see the dermatologist?
Thank you in advance for any help or support you can provide.
Hi there!

This could be due to hormonal/ endocrine issues. I would suggest washing the face 2-3 times a day with a mild soap and keeping the region clean and oil-free at all times. You could try OTC ointments containing benzoyl peroxide/ clindamycin meanwhile, though these may not be helpful for cystic acne. It may not be much of a benefit seeing a GP, I would suggest waiting to see a dermatologist.
Hope this helps.

Take care!

Hi there!

Hope this helps.

Take care!

Thank you Dr. Kaul for your response. From my research online, everything has been pointing to exactly what you said.
Since my last post, I have had less cystic pimples and several small to medium sized postules filled white/yellow matter.
I am taking your advice and waiting on my appointment next week...

Take care