Acne Community
Did Duac Cream cause me to get rosacea?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Did Duac Cream cause me to get rosacea?

I was recently prescribed Duac Cream for a few pimples I had on my cheeks. There were barely any there to begin with but I was tired of having them regularly so I went to a dermatologist to see what he could do. He gave me duac cream to put on the area and after three nights of using it my face has broken out in what looks to be Papulopustular rosacea. Except only the tiny tiny red bumps type which feels rough,like sand paper.My skin feels burnt and is tight and dry, with all these tiny bumps and a huge red patch. I don't know what do to. I stopped using duac. My sister who has had this type of rosacea before told me a cream she uses now that keeps her under control. I have now ordered it. I am wondering is it possible that a low dosage of roaccutane can help heal the bumps and redness? because VitA is a healer. As well as using this cream my sister told me about. I have been on roaccutane before 5years ago and I had no bad reactions to it.
Please please help!
Hi. Topical retinoids can sometimes induce Rosacea-like systems, but Duac gel shouldn't. It is more likely that you are allergic to one of the two active ingredients in Duac (clindamycin or benzoyl peroxide). Benzoyl peroxide is a common allergen. Use a bland cleanser such as Physiological cleanser by La Roche-Posay and consider taking an antihistamine tablet to reduce the redness (available without prescription, always read the label).
The most common topical treatment for rosacea is Metrogel (metronidozole). Be careful using this on acne-prone skin as it can make skin more greasy.
Ask your dermatologist about another course of Roaccutane, 20% of patients need a second course. Wait for your skin to settle down before commencing it though as roaccutane can in itself lead to redness.
Eloise.