Acne Community
Diet and Acne...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Diet and Acne...

My 17 year old son's dermatologist told us his acne was in the top 1% of the worst cases they treat at their clinic.   It is genetic on my husband's side of the familly. We are coming up on 4 months on accutane and his skin has NEVER been worse.  Sadly, it's beginning to change his personality. He was once a very active, social, confident kid but he's losing his self esteem.

In the last 2 weeks we have radically changed his eating habits. (He is fully on-board with this and will try/eat anything without complaint.) We have eliminated dairy, sugar and are trying to reduce his weat consumption.  (This is a hard one!!)  My son is at that age where he is ALWAYS hungry!!   He eats loads of fresh fruit, we make  berry smoothies with whey protein, he eats carrots and humus, lots of apples, Kashi rice cereal, he's drinking "green monsters" for breakfast (spinich, kale, banana, ground flax and rice milk)..but I'm running out of ideas.  Does anyone have any snack/food options that have worked for you or your son?
I can't address the food options but I do wonder why the doctor has kept your son on Accutane.  My son took it and we were told that after the first 4 weeks we should see some improvement after an initial worsening.  His skin really cleared up and aprpoximately 3.5 months later he is off of it and his skin is beautiful.  

Accutane has so many side effects, I am just wondering why your doctor is keeping your son on it when it apparently is not working.  Remember the booklet they gave you, it talks about personality changes, depression, etc.  So I would also be questioning whether Accutane is the right medication for your son.  I know that the personality change and self esteem issues could be attributed to his feelings about how he looks but I think it is worth a talk with the dematologist and your son just to make sure it is not Accutane related.  

I hope you find some answers about the food.  And I'm sorry your son has to go through this.  My son is 17 as well so I have an idea of what your son is going through.  

Well he is not dairy free if you are giving him whey protein, right?  

I would stop the Accutane.  

I would try tea tree oil soap on the skin.  If it is very oily, at night he could use white vinegar on the oily areas.  Then shower in the morning.  I would try the two things one at a time as they might be too drying.  
I had persistent severe acne (it ran in my mother's family) and, sad to say, no diet in this world helped it. Nothing made it better, but stimulation of any sort made it worse.