Acne Community
Does shaving cause more acne?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Does shaving cause more acne?

Does shaving cause more acne outbreaks to form?
No. It's a hair bump from the razor pulling on the hair. To avoid getting them it helps to not shave every day if you suffer regularly from hair bumps maybe every 2-3 day and Soften the hair with warm water before shaving will help you get a better shave and get rid of hair bumps. Always apply shaving cream to the skin before shaving and allow the shaving cream to sit on your face for a couple of minutes before shaving to help it soften the skin and hair. Shave with the grain of your hair. And rinse your shaving razor with rubbing alcohol before and after every use, and change the blade at least once a week to get rid of hair bumps. and if u do get them, use a tweezer to gently pull out the ingrown hair and exfoliate as much as possible to get rid of the dead skin and watever you do DONT TOUCH OR PLAY WITH THEM! that will only make it worst..
I only shave every few days, and that's mainly because it is patchy and uneven and looks dumb after a while if I don't. I also have a fair amount of acne. I'm hoping that it will soon even out so it at least looks normal, and I might have a fighting chance some day of growing a beard. I just read on acne.com (sponsored by proactive, so I take it with a grain of salt) that shaving with a double or triple edge razor contributes to acne and shaving bumps because they pull up the hair, and then cut it, which leads it to sink back below the skin. Then it is more likely to get "trapped" in the follicle, which causes shaving bumps and/or yet more acne. Does anyone have any actual experience with this? I've considered getting a single bladed safety razor instead, but considering my general lack of facial hair, it didn't seem like a wise investment. But anything that lessens the acne, or at least doesn't make it worse would be quite welcome.