Acne Community
Does vitamin D3 really helps?(16)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Does vitamin D3 really helps?(16)

Hey,
I have read some articles and opinions (including here) about the fact that vitamin D really helps and even cures acne. I would really like to hear an opinion, because I am desperate. I have been struggling with pretty sever( not the worst but pretty bad) level of acne for about four year. I have basically tried EVERYTHING in the market, every lotion, cream etc. Nothing have ever helped to me, nothing. Then about a year ago I have tried pills against acne and it seemed to be cured completely, smoothly, and I didn't have any side effects, so I assumed and hoped that it worked smoothly and that my acne had been gone. But for the last... six or even more months it seemed to come back, at first only at the shaving area, then it spread to other parts,pretty much everywhere, and today I am again using the same lotions and creams , dreaming it would help me, but nothing does,again.
I have read a lot about vitamin D3 lately, and I really would like to know if it helps, because I can't convince my mother that it actually connected to acne.
Please, I am begging for an advice, I have the worst feeling and no one takes me seriously and understands how I feel, the doctors don't even look at it and give me useless cream. If nothing helps I will take the pills again  but I can only take them in the winter, so I am hoping that the vitamin D can be a better solution.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
How are you? I understand your concern regarding your symptoms. While there is current increase of testaments of vitamin D3 effectivity on acne, there is unclear scientific evidence for this use. Calcipotriol, a synthetic vitamin D3 analog is widely used for the treatment of plaque psoriasis but additional tests may need to be done for its role in acne management. It is best that you check with your dermatologist first for proper evaluation. Take care and best regards.