Acne Community
Doryx and hair loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Doryx and hair loss

I am 32 years old and have been prescribed Doryx and a topical acne medication for slight facial and back acne.  I have been taking the medication 5-6 weeks and for the past week or so I am noticying hair loss.  (roughly double the normal amount of hair I would loose in a day.)  My hair is noticably thinning.  Could this be a side effect of the medication I am taking?  Has anyone else experienced this?  On a side note, my skin is now completely clear.
Hi. Doxycycline is prescribed for 12 weeks to control the bacteria which cause severe acne. You should finish the course even if your skin is better after 6 weeks to avoid the problem returning. However, if side effects are bothersome speak to your doctor.
Potential side effects include upset stomach and vomitting, irritation of the food pipe, loss of appetite, sensitivity to the sun and skin rashes. I cannot find any information linking doxycycline to hair loss.
Eloise.
Oh my god. I've been recently prescribed Doryx 150mg. The dermatologist gave me samples (3 tablets per bottle) and I've taken 5 tablets already. I had the fright of my life as I washed my hair today-- more than the usual fell off! This has never happened to me before and I am upset and scared that since Doryx has a delayed-release formula, it will take days for my system to get rid of the drug! I'm waiting to hear from that dermatologist about this horrible side effect. But in the meantime, I'm warning everyone about Doryx. The hair loss won't happen until after a few days so there's no way to tell if you'll suffer the same consequence... until the inevitable occurs. But if it does: STOP taking Doryx and call your doctor.
Hi, I've been taking doryx for over 4 days now and I feel like I have an area on my head that seem to be losing more hair than normal. Do you know if there is any scientifics linking to hair loss with this medicine? Please respond?.. I'm scared this might cause losing hair and not reversible... even though I don't want to keep taking this medicine...if this is the case...THANKS
I've been taking the drug for a few months. I've noticed a huge difference in my hair. I've never had a hair loss problem before. I'm 28 but noone is bald in the family. I hope it's just the drug. I have been wearing a hat alot but it's never done this before. humm.. I'm off the Doryx. The stuff works great on my face!! Happy New Hair!!! I mean New Year.
happened to me too
I was on doxycycline for just 10 days and I have lost about 80% of my hair now. Before I took doxycycline I had the thickest possible hair and it was impossible to see any part of my scalp. 7 weeks after stopping taking the doxycycline I am all but bald and have had to shave my hair to a number 1 because it just falls out everywhere. I find it incredible that so many doctors say that this is not a side effect of doxycycline but so many people have experienced this. It cannot be a co-incidence!
I've been on doryx for about a year now.I started on 75 mg a day until a few months ago when my derm bumped me up to 150 mg.About a week after the increase I noticed hair coming out like crazy.I have always had super thick manageable hair and now it's thinning and stringy.I talked to my derm about it and he scoffed at the idea that an antibiotic could cause hair loss.I don't know what to do.
I have been taking Doryx too (on and off because I'm afraid of being on antibiotics for long term) but recently noticed my hair falling out in big clumps.  Today, I went to the hairdresser and they said that I was definitely lossing hair in the back of my head and showed me and my friend areas where my the thinning was happening.  I haven't changed anything in my diet or did anything to my hair so the only thing that I could think of was Doryx so I did some research online to see if I can find others who had the same problem.  When I told my dermatologist about my hair loss, he just told me that everyone loses about 100 hairs a day and long, permed, etc hair may lose more....but I was losing much more as it was apparent visually.  I was so scared to even wash my hair.  I am very upset this is happening to me as I am a professional model and keeping up with great hair comes with my career.  You can't tell I am losing hair but the feeling of knowing that I am losing tons of hair from this is very upsetting and disturbing.

I'm experiencing the same problem....I had very thick coarse and pretty hair. Now it's becoming thin stringy and nappy. I am freaking out big time and really sad.  I'm 22 years old and my dermatologist has had me on this drug for a couple years and at first this did not happen, now it comes out in clumps. Does anyone else who has experienced this also have an itch dry/ dandruff scalp? I never had this before either so of course I stopped about a week ago. My hair is at least half of what it was last year. Please help someone if you know anything? How devastating as a woman to have to go through this. If losing hair was listed as a side effect (like it should be), I would not have taken this.  Clearly it's no coincidence. One more major question if anyone knows....when does this get out of my system and when will the hair loss/ itchyness stop? Is this scarring(permanent) hair loss or will it grow back!???
I took Doryx for 5 weeks and have lost 3/4 of my hair.  I had tons of dark, long, thick hair and now my scalp is visible and have bald areas all over.  I've been off the the medication for almost a month, but I am still losing my hair.  I started to lose my hair a week after starting Doryx and has progressively gotten worse.  It falls out in handfuls in the shower and whenever I comb my hair.  My scalp is tender and itchy at times.  I'd like to know when the hair starts to grow back - if it grows back.
Thanks for the reviews because I have been trying to figure out for the past 6 months why my hair is thinning so much and falling out in clumps when I was it. I didn't realize until yesterday that I could be the Doryx. When I went to the salon last night and she had to cut alot of my hair I was in tears. I'm natural with no chemicals in my hair and I have never had a problem with hair loss. I went from thick long hair to thin short hair. This is so sad. I'm not sure what to do because my skin has really cleared up from Doryx but if I continue to take it I will be bald with pretty skin! Not a great combination! Thanks for reviews!
I just got through speaking with a friend about her hair loss and she brought to my attention it may be because of Doryx. Since I was taking an acne medication as well and also experiencing hair loss; I decided to check and see what pill I was taking, turns out it was Doryx. This is such a sad situation. My hair was not super long, but had progessively grown and gotten more thick. I can not say the same today.
I noticed my hair was getting thinner a week into using Doryx. I stopped using it immediately and the hair loss continued for some time until the drug left my system. I haven't lost any more since then but my hair has not grown back in the 6 months since. I am considering filing a lawsuit against the pharmaceutical company to atleast pay for a hair transplant because there was NO way I would've used the drug if I knew hair loss was a possible side effect. I say we come together, exchange stories and try to figure out how to get FAIRLY compensated for this (No here is looking for millions in damages) Please email me at ***@**** and share your story. I am consulting a lawyer now to see if I have a legitimate case.
my son has been on doxycycline 100mg for cystic acne and had very thick long Native American hair which has become quite thin after a year an a half on this stuff and this is the first thing I have seen that makes sense as we have looked and looked for a cause. Why do doctors insist this is not possible? What is the reason if not the med? Nothing else changed!
I had been taking Doxycycline for almost 7 months. I stopped taking it about a month ago because my hair started looking pretty thin as the rest of you posting here. My hair was not falling out in clumps, but it definitely was falling out more in the shower and when I would brush my hair.

I went to the docs and he said "no way" to what I was claiming. I have some blood tests tomorrow, but I don't expect anything to be out of the ordinary.

I've been off the stuff for a month, but I'm still experiencing the hair loss.

NO BUENO!

Has anyone's hair started to grow back yet?
I too am going through the same thing... I have or had beautiful coarse healthy hair.  Thankfully it's not noticeable that I have a huge patch of hair missing on the back of head but what ***** is that I know it is there.  I stopped taking Doryx too but sadden that my severe acne is returning. Have you found any answers or alternatives?
I have a very similar story to all of you. I took this drug for acne and noticed my hair thinning dramatically around the same time. I did not make a connection between the two and just assumed I was balding naturally so continued to take it for 6 months. During this time I could run my hand through my hair and hair would just come right out!  My hair used to be very thick and now is so thin and my bangs are stringy and embarrassing. I have been off Doxycycline for about 4 months now and my hair is not falling out anymore so I know that it was the drug. I look back at pictures now and can see that I definitely lost about half the hair on my head from taking this medication!!! However, I can't find anything online about whether or not this is permanent. This is the only site that has several other people agreeing with what I know is true. PLEASE, does anybody know if the hair will grow back??
since taking Doxycycline for 4 weeks i noticed huge amounts of hair falling out. I counldnt work out what it was, as i have never had a hair loss problem before. I then did some googling and found this forum. I have lost at least 50% of my hair and it doesnt seem to be stopping!  I stopped taking Doxycycline about 2 weeks ago.
I have heard that the product Nioxin scalp treatment is meant to be very good, helping your hair grow back. I bought it the other day so we'll see if it works! I also bought biotin and lysine supplements which also i was told would promote hair growth. i will try anything! :(
Dear linda I am almost in tears because I was perscribed Doryx last year on 12/09/2010 for my acne problem and I saw my hair fall out in lumps and completely thinned out and still it hasnt grown back, Im devasted, I truly believe its the Doryx. Should we contact an attorney because I have been depressed and lost my self confidence, using the Doryx has cost me thousands of dollars in hair products and wigs to try to grow my hair back and look normal and I am afraid to go to another dermatologist, What do we do? Maybe we should start a class act lawsuit, because This is serious and I would have never used this product had I known, There should be a warning on the bottle.
I had the same problem. I took doxycycline about 5 years ago and my hair still hasn't grown back. Hair loss was not even listed as a possible side effect. I ended up taking accutane and felt no negative side effects so clearly doxycycline has an inherent flaw.
indiethestar7 and mike0113, I'm so sorry to hear that doxycycline has had a bad effect on you as well. As soon as I worked out that it was doxycycline causing my hair loss i contacted my dermatologist to let him know what had happened. He told me that hair loss is not a side effect (which i already knew because i never would have taken it if known!) He also said the pharmaceutical company cannot list it as a side effect until they receive a certian percentage of complaints. How ridiculous! I told him about this forum and that it hasnt just happened to me. He said that different antibiotics affect didnt people in different ways, and a side effect that i may get-other people may not. I suggest if you havent done so already contact your dermatologist as they will then transfer on the complaint to the company..i know it doesnt help our situation, but at least this could be at list listed as a side effect so people know and dont take it!!
indiethestar7 im as lost as you are as to where/what to do next. My hair is getting better, as in not as much falling out now. It is still very thin but at least there is no more falling out. I was takin 500mg of biotin per day, lynsine, and the nioxin scalp treatment. Something at least stopped my hair from more falling out.
I started taking this medication March 2011, I first noticed a very small bald spot the end of May.. I did not connect it to the Doryx until July 7th, when i noticed my bald spot was 5 times bigger and very sore.. Thanks to everyone's reviews I have now stopped the medication. My dermatologist told me the same thing that this has never happened to anyone she prescribed this medication to before.. but bullsh*t this needs to be listed as a side effect.. there are so many people complaining about the same thing.. its a shame.. I've also noticed a great amount of thinning in the back of my head.. my hair is probably 1/3 of what it use to be I've always had very very thick hair.. and now its not even half of what it use to be.. I am so devastated I dont know what to do about my hair.. I pray it does not continue to fall out.. it's looks like there is no solution to this hair loss, does anyone know how long the medication takes to get out of your system? The dermatologist did offer me cortisone injections in the bald spot area, that could cause a indention in my head just great smh.. I'm debating if i want to try that and have a dent in my head but i really want my hair back asap..

I was also in the same situation when I took Doryx, and honestly they should put it as one of the side effects. But I used a bunch of hair products after to make it better like Nioxin Therapy booster, I hope that will help you. My hair grew back but the spots that was lighten doesn't seem the same as it was before. I guess it'll never go back to the same but it stopped the lost of hair after I stopped the meds. Sorry to hear that you have to go through this. I was very sad when it happened to me. I thought I was going crazy but no one knows you best but yourself. So if see something wrong, stop what your using and seek a doctor. Also I am using Tazorac right now and it's done great for me, but if you use it make sure to have your face moisturize at all times. The product dries your skin and makes it peel but if your skin isn't dry then it won't be that bad. Hope that helps! take care.
I was on Doxycycline for 4 years straight to help with my acne (come to find out just taking the right birth control pills cleared up my acne in 2 weeks) and never had hair loss problems until recently when I stopped taking it about 4 or 5 months ago. So my issue doesn't really make sense if it's suppose to cause hair loss while taking it then why did I not experience it until after I stopped ? I don't have a bald spot, just more hair shedding then usual for me but I go through these excess shedding phases during different seasons of the year. I'm taking a multi vitamin now to hopefully help with the issue.
Went to the doctor because I was experiencing itching and minor hair thinning. The dermatologist precribed Dorxy and the result is frightening. The front of my head is now almost bald --the hair loss was RAPID. I have since ceased  taking the medication after reading complaints about the drug on the website. The manufacturer admits to the drug causing hair loss but the information is buried --few doctors are aware of this.  

Question: Does anyone know whether the hair grows back AFTER you cease taking this drug?  I'm seriously thinking of finding a lawyer willing to start a class action lawsuit against suckers.
To everyone who is asking if your hair will grow back, it certainly does! I took doxycycline for 4-5 months and my hair began thinning. I had  long and extremely thick blonde curly hair but with doxycycline i lost more than a fourth of my hair. My hair turned stringy lost its curl pattern and looked awful! Now after 9 months i am watching my hair grow every day. It is so painful to watch because its SO FRIZZY! i have tons of little baby hairs growing in that frizz out around the rest of my hair. They look terrible and i have never had a problem with frizz before. Hopefully in the next few months they will reach the length of the rest of my hair and blend in with my curls. Right now theyre just above my ears but I first started to see the new hairs come in around my roots after being off the drug for about 6 months! hope this helps!
I'm in the military and have been taking doxy for almost three months to prevent malaria.  I'm 30 years old and have had ridiculously thick hair my entire life.  Other guys are bigger, more muscular, more attractive, the one thing no one has ever had on me is my hair.  And I've noticed it thinning significantly the past few weeks.  I just made the connection and have found several sites like this with a TON of people claiming hair loss despite it not being listed by doctors as a side effect.  Call me vain if you want, I'll risk the malaria.
I have been off doxycycline for 2 months now and my hair is still thinning.  Can anyone tell me how long it will continue to fall out? I don't think my hair loss is as extreme as some that have posted here but I have lost alot of hair in the past two months.   I did contact my doctor and I got a similar response as others on the forum.  I really don't have any idea of what to do next.  Started taking a biotin supplement and probiotics to help with restoring the good bacteria in my body.  I realize it is going to take a long time for my hair to grow back but right now I just want it to stop falling out.
I've been losing my hair considerably fast due to the use of doxycycline. I should be off the medication within a few weeks. Has anybody that lost hair due to this medicine notice hair growing back once they were done using it?

Did anybody try rogaine? My hair hasn't even grown since i've started using doxycycline. I hope it's not done growing for life. I would love some info back about this. Anyone who has used doxycycline... Lost a lot of hair.. Got off the medication. What happens after you were done?
i suggest u stop the medication immediately..i stopped taking it in july and my bald spot continues to grow.and i have a new bald spot the size of a quarter..who knows when it will grow back but stop the medication asap dont put more in ur system...
Why does nobody write whether his or her hair has been regrowing ever since it fell out?

I have been taking Doxycyclin for Malaria Prophylaxis for 6 weeks.
My long blond hair started falling out in clumps immediately until only 5% was left. This whole process took only 3 months. Itching and sore skin inclusive. Another 4 months later I can say, that my hair has not started growing back.
I am 28 years old, from Germany and a Doctor myself. I have been doing detailed reasearch for half a year now- on autoimmune related alopecia areata, hormone related hair loss and yellow fever vaccine interactions (because I had it the same time I took Doxy). I had my blood tested by rheumatologists, dermatologists, endocrinologists and microbiologists- over and over again. But it had never occured to me that such a common and often prescribed drug as Doxycyclin may be the cause for my misery!! Now that I found your stories in this forum I am CERTAIN that this antibiotic is the cause.

The drug blocks the Protein-Biosyntheses in cells and accumulates inside them. It also binds on bivalent ions such as Magnesium, Calcium and Iron. Every of these mechanisms may have an effect on the root of the hair. I will do some research on which effect eventually destroys or damages the root and what one can do about it. If the root was just damaged but not destroyed, hair might re-grow after about 2-4 years (this is the time it takes for the roots to rebuild).  
I will allow myself to post my thoughts about this issue from time to time.
Well, it does not help, but maybe somebody can come up with ideas as well (perhaps you are lucky to know a dermatologist who is open minded towards our suspicion...)

I am just now trying to find out, which biochemical mechanism it is that damages the root of the hair. Suprisingly they know pretty few in detail about how hair grow. However, explaining the possible and logical mechanism would be the first step into being seriously heard. At the same time it would help to have cases. It would need at least 100 people stating that they all suffer from itchy hairloss after or while having taken Doryx = Doxycyclin (and not suffering from thyreodea related diseases, disbalance of hormons, ect).
I have been thinking about this a lot now, but I don't know how to find and approach these people.
An interesting cohort could be, for example, military people stationed in areas where Malaria prophylaxis is required. Military changed to Doxycyclin some time ago (I bet it is for economical reasons- Doxycyclin is very, very cheap).

I was given Doryx for acne caused by corticosteroid use prescribed by my doctor.  My hair fell out in handfuls and it was awful.  Long story short - amoxicillin and/or augmentin both worked wonders when the tetracyclines didn't do anything but harm.  My hair shedding lessened within a week and is actually starting to grow back and in 10 days my skin was almost completely clear.  Doctors NEVER want to admit when they may have made a mistake or when a different drug might help more, but it was a miracle for me.  I hope my misery can help somebody.  I am now changing dermatologists because the one I had would rather pretend I am at fault for their mistake that make me well.
I recently went to India for four weeks. I too Doxycycline the entire time I was over there to prevent Malaria and for the whole trip I was fine. I stopped taking it about a week ago and just within the last few days my hair has started to fall out, not in giant clumps but just one or two hairs every time I brush my hand through my hair. I booked a doctors appointment for tomorrow, I'll probably have some blood tests or something like that but hopefully I can get to the bottom of it. I've taken Doxycycline before and never experienced this.
Well, I experieced the same problems noted by everyone above (extremely itchy and irritated scalp, and hair loss in those same areas).  The irritation subsided significantly a week after getting off of the drug, but 4 months later the irritation has yet to go away completely and I'm now noticing significant hair loss right down the middle of the top of my entire scalp (right where I feel the most irritation).  There is always at least a little bit of irritation there.  The dermatologist recommended I use anti dandruff shampoo, which I've just started (took 3-4 months to get in with one).

In 2 months or so, I'll follow up with this thread.
I posted a while ago about my hair loss from this medication.. I stopped in July 2011 and still to this day I am losing hair.. luckily i started with a lot of hair.. the bald spot i had first is now about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide... the second one i got that was the size of a quarter is now 3 times bigger.. the dermatologist suggested i get cortisone injections in my scalp that will promote hair growth so i've have 3 treatments of that.. i received my first one in october and in december i noticed hair growth.. then i got one in jan, feb and i have another appt this month.. so far there is some hair growth that is very noticeable unfortunately the top of my bald spot continues to spread.. at least i know that hair will regrow in the spot because i was completely bald in the spot that is now growing hair from july til december I'm glad the root was not permanently damaged.. i've also been using nioxin scalp treatment so both of them combined will get you some results.. it also slows down the shedding of hair.. i still think that i will continue to lose more hair but at least its slowing down the process and at least some hair is growing back.. I hope this helps.. also my dermatologist said that the vitamin biotin helps with your hair.. I hope this helps.. so try the injections and nioxin scalp treatment..
I went to india for 6 weeks and took doxy... Significant hair loss :( Let's hear who's hair grew back!!
Hi ,I read your post and I'd like to ask you what kind of doctor did you go for the injections,I really need help,I'm at my wits end and I  feel so ugly!!Please please  let me know what type of doctor you went to!!Thanks so much and good luck!!!Joannf54
I took Doryx for 19 days, and about two weeks in noticed my hair was starting to shed more than usual in the shower and when I would style it. I am approaching my third week off the medication, and my hair is still falling out. I contacted my doctor and the pharmaceutical company, Warner Chilcott. My doctor said that it would take two to three weeks for the medication to leave my system, so I am hopeful that it will stop falling out soon. The pharmaceutical company took my information and is now giving me a refund for the Doryx. I have started taking Biotin, Lysine, Vitamin E, and Vitamin D3 to try to promote healthy hair growth. I was prescribed the Doryx for very mild acne, and it seems that something so simple as the vitamins I just listed has helped clear up my face. I wish I had known beforehand that this drug can cause hair loss because I would have never taken it, especially for such a mild case of acne as mine is. Lesson learned that I will no longer just take whatever my doctor gives to me. I just keep reminding myself that my hair is not who I am! Good luck to you all!  
I took doxycycline for 6 months and started noticing one bald spot in about december 2011 (started the meds in Sept 2011) and now by August 2012 I have lost 80% of my hair. Anyway I had thick healthy hair etc. I got the steroid injections for a while but once I stopped the hair I had regrown in those areas fell out =[. After that I started accupuncture 4 weeks ago. I have noticed a LOT of regrowth since then and hopefully within six months or so I will have recovered (fingers crossed). My skin however is super clear. I am complementing the acupuncture with an herbal oil giving to me by my acupuncturist and Vit D3 (for which i was SEVERELY difficient), Biotin, and a multivitamin. Hopefully I'll regrow my hair. In the meantime, I've started wearing a headscarf (I'm Muslim) and have noticed that protecting my hair from heat, sun and wind has started making it healthier too. Nioxin shampoo is also a wonderful thing <3. Pray that I recover my hair you guys and I pray that you all recover yours.

Will update this thread in a few months
Hi, wpsalieri. I chuckled a little at your end comment about risking illness, but what we're all experiencing is no laughing matter. Hair is both a woman's and a man's crowning glory in many situations and if this side effect is this prevelent, it should be bought to the forefront so that we can make informed decisions as consumers. I have been using dory150mg for acne and notice it works wonders on my facial breakouts, but DRIES my usually thick, shiny hair out. I don't get that sexy swing and moisture that has been a normal part of my hair every since I can remember. I also get shedding that is more than usual, but have honed in on diet and constant conditioning in an attemp to at least KEEP hair on my head, even if it does look like a damn Brillo pad... these drug companies don't give a crap about any of us. Doryx is an expensive drug and the companies' objectives are nothing other than to capitalize from making as much money as they can. Of course they know. Of course they want us to believe they don't know so their profits can continue for as long as they can get away with "supressing" information consumers should definitely be informed about... I hope all works out with restoring your locks. Looks like we'll all need it.
I started this drug two weeks ago and noticed my hair becoming straw like and a chunk missing out of the back section, I am desperate to know if I continue will my hair grow back in time ?
I am relieved to have found this forum! I have been devastated by my hair loss that started recently.  I was prescribed doxy at the end of December. Within a few days my spouse noticed a small bald spot on top of my scalp. Within a week my hair was at 60% loss!  It is RAPIDLY SHEDDING!!  I had long thick hair in December. Now by January I am going bald! I went to a dermatologist and he arrogantly told me it was Alopecia Totatis and there was nothing I could do. He did not even ask if I had been on recent meds. I just started researching on my own & came across this. I am shocked that there is not more acknowledgement to this devastating side effect! I am having a really hard time with this.  :(
I wanted to share that I have experienced hair loss with this too! And I plan to make this known to my doctor and pharmacist esp if hair loss hasn't been officially declared as a side effect of doxycycline.  

In mid-Dec '12, I started taking a generic version of Doryx called Doxylin 50 (50mg of doxycycline) once a day for 5 weeks to treat 3-month old cystic pimples that weren't healing.  In this time, I noticed chunks of my hair falling out every time I showered - visible handful chunks of hair... nothing like I've experienced ever before.  It was as if a hairdresser had taken a razor to my hair to thin it out!  I'm a 29 yr old S.E. Asian woman and my hair is normally healthy, lustrous and dense - I haven't dyed or chemically treated my hair in 10 years.  I actually I'd go as far as to say that my most notable physical feature would be my hair!

I didn't make the connection until two days ago when I thought to look up others' experience with this drug and found this thread.  I'm not on any other medication (incl the pill) so needless to say, I was convinced it was the Doxylin and threw the rest of it into the bin.  It's been two days since I stopped taking it and today I didn't had any chunks of hair falling out in the shower to my relief...  

Acne-wise the doxycycline was effective in healing my pimples and my skin is clear again.  They healed in two weeks but I kept on with the prescription recommended by the doctor to my hair's demise...
Wanted to share my experience with Doxycycline. I'm a 24 year old male. I was prescribed Doxycycline for mild acne by my dermatologist in October 2012. I realize now how ridiculous that was and I wish I hadn't trusted her and had researched it myself. Guess I've learned my lesson now, whatever good that does me. I was on Doxycycline for a week and I started noticing my hair falling out at a pretty alarming rate. I didn't connect the two until 2 weeks in, when I found this thread. I immediately stopped taking it and threw it out. Well it is now February 2013 and my hair loss hasn't slowed down one bit. If it continues at this rate (which I expect it will) I have resigned myself to shaving my head in 2 months. The George Costanza would not be a good look for me. I am taking a range of supplements: saw palmetto, biotin and dht blockers. I have been using 5% monixidil foam for a month. It is incredible how much damage an anti-biotic can do. Judging by the fact that nobody has ever come back here to say their hair has returned I don't expect mine to. But I do hope that this helps somebody who was smarter than me and didn't just take whatever their doctor prescribed them without looking into it themselves. F*ck doxycycline.
I have been off doryx for about seven months now and my hair loss stopped around 3 1/2 months and I noticed my hair starting to grow back around the fourth or fifth month. I took biotin, lysine, and vitamin e, which has been keeping both my skin and my hair healthy.
I've been taking 20 mg of Doxycycline off and on for about five months for Rosacea.  I've had some mild tingling and itching in bouts.  I just discovered several bald spots (one is larger than a quarter) on the back of my head and receding hairline at the back of my head and sides.  I've had no changes in diet or life and no one in my family has experienced this.  The only thing that changed was taking this drug.  

In addition, the drug companies have severely jacked the prices up on this drug and some other antibiotics, all of which used to be super cheap.
omg this is happening to me now, hair is everywhere. how did your hair grow back?
Hey.. It's been a while since you posted, has your hair come back? Has the shedding stopped?
ive been taking 150mg of Doryx once a day for 6 days, and today when i took a shower today i noticed way more hair than usual coming out when i ran my fingers through. This is very upsetting because I have cystic acne and no other topical creams or pills have worked. thank you everyone for sharing your stories, hopefully the company who makes this product will add hair loss to the side effects!
Dear,
I am from Belgium and i am glad to have found this website. I took doxycycline for 3 months as a malaria prevention. After I stopped the hair loss began. I read your comment and I am very curious now if you already found out something more about the cause and what to do about it. I am annoyed too that it's not on the list of the side effects and I would like to see it changed because it seems quite obvious now that this antibiotices is causing it.
Thanks,
Caro
Sometimes it occurs as after effect and also stops automatically. So I do not think you should stop the course of taking doxycycline for this, rather you should consult with your doctor about this problem.
I apologize for the late response.. but I went to my dermatologist for the injections..
From June 2012 to now my hair has grown 4 inches, I no longer have any bald spots. I barely lose any hair when combing it.
My last injection was March 2012.. and I started taking Biotin vitamins daily.
Hair loss started May 2011 and continued until around May 2012.. It is possible for your hair to grow back..dont lose hope.. I almost did..
Try those injections along with Biotin (10,000 mcg one a day) vitamins daily.. I still take them now.. you will definitely see results.
I thank God that I found a solution to stop the hair loss..
I truly believe that Biotin played a major role in helping it grow back because it even made my arm hair longer but who cares as long as I have hair on my head right..
hope this helps everyone..
Does anyone know how to pursue legal action for hair loss associated with Doryx?
Hi, I took Doxycycline for 2 months starting in Feb 2012. I noticed hairloss July 2012. It is September now. I just had a baby this past May. My hairloss stopped when I became pregnant. It has just now started falling out again by a few strands at the time. I am hoping this will stop.
Thanks a lot for this info....I was devastated with my hair loss...but this gives me hope :)
I took Doxycycline for about 3 months as an anti-malarial when I went traveling in Indonesia. I lost about a third of my hair by the time I came off the tablets. Every time I washed my hair I saw huge clumps go down the plug hole. My parting was really wide and my ponytail didn't have anywhere near as much hair as it used to. I was frantically reading this forum trying to find out if my hair would grow back as I was really upset and self conscious of my thin, lank hair . Anyway I thought I would post a success story to give other people going through this some hope. My hair has fully recovered! I cut about six inches off to aid it's recovery and I've been taking Perfectil tablets (3 boxes for £10 in Asda) for about 2 months plus additional Biotin(about £4 from Holland and Barrett) and my hair is not far off being it's normal length and if anything it looks even healthier than before I away. Don't lose hope ladies!
Yo tengo 25 años y tome hace 5 meses y desde hace 3 meses por primers vez en la vida se me cae el cabello a churro.
Was prescribed doxy 100mg per day for 3 months for skin infection, but after 5-6 weeks noticed severe head hair thinning, hotness and itchiness.

Stopped and saw GP, said never heard of this side effect but that I was right to stop. 8 weeks later hair still thinning but less itchy.

Seeing derm at the end of Jan14 to see if this is permanent or not.

It is an obvious problem and the medical and pharma world know it.
HI

USE AROGYAM PURE HERBS hair care kit You can easily stop your hair fall problem without any side effect

Hello everyone,
I thought I'd give a feedback after 2 years that I've last postet about my hairloss after having taken Doxycyclin for malaria-prevention.
Last time I posted I had lost the complete hair of my scalp within 6 months. After that I gradually lost all my body hair including my eyelashes and eyebrows in the end. After being without a single hair on my body for more than another year, my hair started regrowing very slowly more than 2 years and 6 months after it startet to shed.
It re-grew in patches reverse to the order it fell out (that means my eyelashes grew back frst). Patch after patch it it re-grew everywhere and now, another 6 months after it started growing there is only a 6 cm bald spot left. So it took about 3 years from my hair starting to shed until it fully recovered.
HOWEVER: At the moment I am gaining certainty that my hair is shedding again. There is no itching or soreness going with it, though (like it did when it started 3 years ago). I wish my hair was just stressed and weak temporarely and that it will be fine again after a short while. However, when it started shedding 3 years ago, I intuitively new from the beginning that I would be losing all my hair. And I have the same feeling now.
This is even worst than last time as 3 years ago, I didn't know what was ahead of me. Now I've learned that I will face having to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on wigs again. Having to wear them at work everyday and getting looked at strangely as people sometimes can tell that it's a wig. Having to wear them while doing my daily high performance sports routine which is unbearably uncomfortable. Having to wear it when I am working in very hot and humid developing countries. not being able to swim in hotel pools, public pools, the lake, the beach as I cannot wear wigs inside the water and there are always people around that could see me bold. And no, going without a wig ist no option for me.

Losing my hair again does not fit into the Doxycyclin theory. However, the way I am losing it etc. has never fit into any alopecia areata, totalis, universalis or whatever pattern, too. Everything was fine until I had to take some other antibiotic for pneumonia just this months. I noticed losing my hair 1 week after I had taken it. Perhaps I DO have some weird and strong reaction to some kind of medicine- but I do not know for sure. In fact I don't know anything right now. It's just very, very frustrating. I wish I wouldn't know what it is like having to wear wigs and everything that goes with it.
I am a 16 year old male in my family their is no hair loss at all my 88 year old grand father still has all of his hair. Anyways took doxycycline for 3 months for acne problems about 1 month after ending my treatment started seeing my hair thin to the point i could see my scalp. I even receded from the temples as if i had male pattern baldness.Will the hair grow back and if yes how long can it take??? Thank you