Acne Community
Draining My Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Draining My Cyst

This is rather embarrassing, but after reading a few posts about this topic I just want to get feedback for my own situation.

I have a cyst on my butt and it's painful when I sit.  I tried putting hot compresses on it in order to have it drain but so far everything I've done has been unsuccessful.  So I took it upon myself to attempt to drain it.

I got a needle and boiled it in salt water for about 30 minutes.  I got a bowl of hot salt water and clean cloth and a cup of hydrogen peroxide.  

I put a hot compress on it for about 5 minutes until I could feel the center of the pocket and I discovered that the cyst is in sections.  It's about the size of a quarter.  I pricked 3 holes in different areas of the cyst and drained what I could.  What drained appeared to be a clear, thick, bloody substance and I was surprised that I didn't see any pus.  It's still there, I don't believe I opened up all the sections to it, but I was tired of pricking myself.  

After I was done I washed it with salt water, wiped it down with a cotton ball drenched in peroxide and applied an anti-biotic ointment to it and loosely put 2 band aids on it so that it could drain and that the band aids would catch most of the liquid.

I keep reading about the possibility of getting a staph infection from this and I want to know how much am I at risk?  Is there anything I should have done differently or could do?  I didn't want to go to the doctor because it's embarrassing and if I could drain it myself I don't see a point in letting a doctor doing it.  I think I was being careful.  Any thoughts?  
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your boil or cyst on your buttock.  I've read that is a very common affliction, so don't feel so embarrassed.  If it is "just a boil", you could continue to try to drain it using hot compressed as you are.  I would also buy some Persagel, a benzoyl peroxide cream in the acne section of a pharmacy.  It kills most bacteria, and is 10% strength.  It bleaches clothes, so wear white underwear.

If you have a true cyst, that means the infected area is surrounded by a capsule, and the capsule has to be removed, or the cyst will keep refilling.  You would need to see a doctor to have him or her remove the cyst, including the capsule.  But you might not have a cyst... it might just be a phlegmon or abscess.  A phlegmon is a fluid-filled, compartmentalized infection.  You would treat it with hot compresses (not too hot, but very warm) and draining, and Persagel.  I think it's better than antibiotic ointment, although antibiotic ointment is better than nothing.

Try to avoid putting pressure on it when you sit or lie down.  You may be able to get rid of it yourself, but if you can't after a few weeks, I would see a doctor because it may be a cyst.  Also, if it gets very red and you see redness spreading around the area, that is cellulitis and you should see a doctor immediately for oral antibiotics and possible draining of the abscess.  You don't want to get a staph (esp. MRSA) infection, and you are at risk of this with any open wound.

Good luck.  Don't be too embarrassed... you are not alone.
Would be best to get it evaluated by a medical professional.  Don't be embarrassed.  Most family doctors have drained many "butt cysts" in their training.  It might be a pilonidal cyst.