Acne Community
Face itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Face itching

I tried to treat my acne by drinking more water, washing with water only, and never touching my face. It was working for about a month, but suddenly my face started itching and my acne's getting worse. I'm still drinking a lot of water and washing with mild soap, but the itching isn't going away. What could be causing the itching?
My face used to itch SO bad when I would get those huge cystic-like breakouts. It's so irritating! All I can say is that I don't get those types of breakouts anymore since I've been using Proactiv for about a year now. Fyi I have always drank a ton of water, but it never did help my complexion.
do a search on demodex...
Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis are typically found on humans. It's extremely rare to see a human infected with a different species of mite, such as Demodex canis, though a few instances have occurred. D. folliculorum was first described in 1842 by Simon; D. brevis was identified as separate in 1963 by Akbulatova. D. folliculorum is found in hair follicles, while D. brevis lives in sebaceous glands connected to hair follicles. Both species are primarily found in the face, near the nose, the eyelashes and eyebrows, but can also occur elsewhere on the body on rare occasions.

The adult mites are only between 0.3 mm and 0.4 mm long, with D. brevis slightly shorter than D. folliculorum.[1] They have a semi-transparent elongated body that consists of two fused segments. Eight short segmented legs are attached to the first body segment. The body is covered with scales for anchoring itself in the hair follicle, and the mite has pin-like mouth-parts for eating skin-cells, hormones and oils (sebum) which accumulate in the hair follicles. The mite's digestive system is so efficient and results in so little waste that there is no excretory orifice. The mites can leave the hair follicles and slowly walk around on the skin, at a speed of about 8–16 cm/hour, especially at night; they try to avoid light.[1]

Female Demodex folliculorum are somewhat shorter and rounder than males. The total lifespan of a Demodex mite is several weeks. Both male and female Demodex mites have a genital opening, and fertilization is internal.[2] Mating takes place in the follicle opening, and eggs are laid inside the hair follicles or sebaceous glands. The six-legged larvae hatch after 3-4 days, and it takes about seven days for the larvae to develop into adults. The dead mites decompose inside the hair follicles or sebaceous glands.

Older people are much more likely to carry the mites; estimates range as high as an 96-98% infestation rate in aged people. The lower rate of children may be due to the fact that children produce much less sebum. It is quite easy to look for one's own demodex mites, by carefully removing an eyelash or eyebrow hair and placing it under a microscope.

The mites are transferred between hosts through contact of hair, eyebrows and of the sebaceous glands on the nose. Different species of animals host different species of demodex; and demodex is not contagious between different species.

In the vast majority of cases, the mites go unobserved, without any adverse symptoms, but in certain cases (usually related to a suppressed immune system, caused by stress or illness) mite populations can dramatically increase, resulting in a condition known as demodicosis, characterised by itching, inflammation and other skin disorders. Blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelids) can also be caused by Demodex mites.

Demodex canisThere is some evidence linking demodex mites to some forms of the skin disease rosacea, possibly due to the bacterium Bacillus oleronius found in the mites.[3] Some people believe that there is also a link to acne vulgaris, but there is little research to back this up,
what has helped me with Acne is VITAMIN E OIL (from Holland and Barret health store in the UK)- you just take a few drops or more from the bottle everyday.  this has prevented any problems with the monthly spots I would otherwise get and which would cause problems and leave marks.  (don't know if this is the best place to put this info - as I am looking up something else on the Internet - so please make this better known, after trying I guess)