Acne Community
Few breakouts while on tetracycline

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Few breakouts while on tetracycline

OK so first off I have to say I have been very pleased with the tetracycline thus far, I am on 500mg twice per days and haven't had any issues...I am about 3 weeks away from the 3 month mark...I have two questions. Is it ok to still be getting a few pimples here and there? and also, the post acne red marks seem to be darker and taking longer to subside...I rarely remember this being an issue prior to tetracycline. I have only had very mild acne within the past 4 years...nothing as a teen but now at the age of 27 I am slowly winning the battle. I also use benzoyl peroxide in the evening and an AHA lotion which keeps my skin balanced. Are there tips or signs I should watch for for resistance? Or would this be permature only 3 months into tetracyline...OK I guess three questions:)

Thanks so so so much:)
Could you please provide your input?
Hi.
It is normal to still have a few pimples. Using a topical retinoid gel such as Differin (adapalene) as well as taking a tetracycline antibiotic will result in even better clearance. This will also fade post-acne marks. If you decide to use a topical retinoid, do not use AHAs or BP as well. Doing so will cause redness and irritation. Instead use a bland cleanser such as Cetaphil or La Roche-Posay and apply the Differin at night.
You will not become resistant to tetracyclines after 3 months. This type of antibiotic is prescribed for months or even years for patients whose tendancy towards acne persists. Should your tendancy towards acne persist, and tetracyclines become less effective in the future, you can change to a different type of antibiotic like Erythromycin.
Eloise.
thank you loiloi, you help so many with your information:) I greatly greatly appriciate it!