Acne Community
How can I get a Dermatologist to give me Accutane?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

I have been breaking out since I was 12 years old (I'm 32 now!) and I have tried everything under the sun to get rid of the acne, washed with mild soap 2x daily, changed pillowcases every other day, tried the following medications: Retin-A (leaves my skin tight, extremely red and peeling, itchy) Azelex (same results as Retin-A) Prescription strength Benzoyl Peroxide, birth control pills (just make it worse and my periods funky!) all possible Antibiotics (they cause me to get yeast infections).  I have gone to several dermatologists to ask for Accutane and they all say that the risks outweigh the benefits: depression (as if I am not depressed that I cannot get rid of this!) birth defects (my tubes are tied).  My face is constantly broken out (about 20 days of each month) along with my shoulders and neck. Why are Dermatologists hesitant to prescribe Accutane to me?  
The best contraceptive pills to use are Dianette (Diane35 in the States) or Yasmin, do not use progesterone only mini pills or get the Depo Shot. The best topical lotion available on prescription is Differin which did not irrate my sensitive skin. If your dermatologist is not sympathetic find one who is as acne does cause depression. Please be aware that accutane may not be the miracle you're hoping for. i've taken it twice and my skin was great whilst on it, but i relapsed both times. loiloi x
from what I know, I took tetracycline, doxycycline, allesse, then finally accutane, I still get acne but it is alot more controlled since I've been off it, you need a blood test once a month to check live problems and they always ask you if you are have depression symptoms. tell the dermatologist you want accutane, and are willing to take the risk if it is really bothering you. depending on the severity te dermatologist will prescribe different ammounts, I took 80 one day and 40 the next,(40 is one pill) but higher amounts can taken. birth control sucked for me as well, funky period. results on't show right away and it can actually get worse before better, lips and inside nose get dry too. vasiline works. but as loiloi saus it may not be a miracle but good to try.
No idea why my comment has posted 4 times! I have an 8 year old with Aspergers syndrome so he may have been playing with the computer sorry x