Acne Community
How do I get rid of a scar on my lip?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

How do I get rid of a scar on my lip?

Hi - I'm really hoping someone has some good advice on this! 6 or so months ago, I had a welt/cyst like thing on my upper lip line for a couple months. My dermatologist told me to leave it alone. Of course I didn't listen. After a few weeks (of putting everything under the sun on it) it FINALLY came to a big ol' white head which of course I just couldn't leave alone and popped. After a few more weeks it went flat and faded a bit, but I still have a BRIGHT RED dot on my lip line. It's annoying - I hate it. I've never had one, but I think it looks like a permanent cold sore or cool aid stain or something. Most of my cyst marks on the rest of my face fade down after 6 months or so, but this one is staying put and is just as red as the day I popped it. I can cover it pretty well with makeup, but I have these huge a$$ sebaceous glands around my mouth which I think just makes the scar look worse and I'm tired of having an anxiety attack every time I eat that I've rubbed the scar cover makeup off. My derm (after telling me "I told you so") said that I can't have it lasered or anything because the area is too sensitive and my lips could be severely burned. I also can't use Mederma because it makes me break out in a rash. I was thinking maybe a bleaching cream would help? Has anyone had any luck with any on REALLY red scars? And is safe to use in the mouth/lip area? Help? Please? :)
You could try Bio-oil, Cocoa butter scar cream or Dermatix. Ask in a laser clinic as there are different types of laser treatment and your dermatologist may not specialise in all of them. Don't give up hope of it fading on it's own, acne scars can take up to a year to go. What make up do you use? I use Estee Lauder Maximum coverage make-up with stay in place concealor. I also use Rio camoflauge make up. Loiloi x
Hi Loiloi - thanks for your response! That's also what my derm told me, that in a year or so it should fade to white. I didn't realize there were other types of laser treatments - I'll have to look into that. I've never heard of Bio-oild or Dermatix either, so I'll Google those :) The only thing is, I also have mild perioral dermatitis, so when I put anything moisturizing around my mouth, it breaks out - but, it might be worth the breakouts if the scar goes away! For makeup I use Laura Mercier secret camouflage and flawless fix pencil (I love her makeup, one of few I'm not allergic to). Does a great job of covering - I'm just constantly nervous about wiping it off. I haven't heard of Rio - I'll have to add that to my Googling list. Thanks!