Acne Community
How does accutane work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

How does accutane work?

I currently have very bad acne and am considering taking accutane in order to treat it...but I would like to know how it works...how long do you have to take it for? & after you stop taking it how long before you may have to take it again? I have heard that some people have to take it a second time or a third time...Also, doesn't it make your skin REALLY dry for a while? how long does that usually last? If anyone here has used accutane would you please share with me your experience? Did it work well for you? Did u have to take it again? Would you recommend taking it?

Thanks, I would really appreciate any advice
cmills79
Tags: Acne, Skin
Accutane is a form of vitamin A. It reduces the amount of oil released by oil glands in your skin, and helps your skin renew itself more quickly.

But there are side effects to consider.

Best to talk to pharmacist or family doctor first

If your acne is cystic accutance may not be appropriate
Hi. Acne is formed when hormones stimulate the sebaceous (oil) glands. Accutane shrinks the sebaceous glands so they cannot produce too much oil. The glands grow back to their normal size very slowly which means patients have a much longer remission from acne than if they had used other acne products and then stopped. 80% of patients require just one course lasting 16 to 24 weeks. 20% of patients, including me, require a second or third course. Your dosage will depend on your weight and the severity of your acne.
All medicines have potential side effects. Accutane may cause very dry lips, fragility of the skin, muscle or joint pain, and changes in mood. Female patients must use birth control as Accutane causes malformation in 90% of exposed pregnancies.
Eloise.
Hi and thanks for your comment. I was curious.. given accutane shrinks the oil glands and supposedly (not proven) they grow back in time after the course, wouldn't acne just come back as usual (if oil glands are actually returned to normal and not permanently shrunken)?

i just want to know if my natural oils will return, as i am extremely worried about wrinkling (I've already noticed some wrinkling i didn't have before and I am 24 years old). Its scaring me! I am trying to attribute this to dryness (my lips are dry but generally, my skins dryness is manageable)
I am on a very low dose of 20mg/day for 6 months and have been moisturizing constantly.

Thanks a lot for your help.