How effective is Oratane?
Been  using oratane for 6 weeks and my face is getting worse.  My face is normally dry when i wake up, with scabs on the pimples but by midday, my face seems to break out again and seems a lot worse than the day before. Can this be cause by use of makeup? should i be using makeup at all?  My skin has scared since use of the medicine and i am also peeling, is this normal, (this is mainly the reason why i use foundation and concealor as cover)?  are the effects permanent?  
I am getting frustrated and dont really see any improvement, but it is only getting worse by the day.  should i be patient? Im doctor told me that i would be on  a three month course, but i doubt i will have cleared up by then.
Hi. Oral Isotretinoin (also branded as Accutane/Roaccutane) is the most effective acne treatment available, with 80% of patients experiencing a long-term remission from acne after one course of treatment lasting 16 to 24 weeks.
It is normal to experience a temporary worsening of acne ("Initial breakout") during the first few weeks. This is a common side effect and shows your medicine is working.
Use a bland cleanser and moisturiser (La Roche-Posay is a great brand for sensitized skin, available instores and online). Use Vaseline or Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream for peeling lips or skin.
Eloise.
The majority of acne scarring is superficial and will fade without intervention. If stubborn scarring remains you can have microdermabrasion 6 months after using Oral Isotretinoin.
Eloise.
what happens if you smoke while the treatment's going on???
Hi Zaeema,
Smoking tobacco will not interfere with the way Accutane works to shrink the sebaceous glands. Smoking also does not affect acne in general, since over-acted sebaceous glands are caused by high levels of androgens (hormones) not diet or general health.
You will have your cholesterol levels monitored whilst on Accutane and smoking tobacco can raise cholesterol levels. So if you have raised cholesterol you should follow a low-cholesterol diet and give up smoking whilst on Accutane.
Accutane patients should not smoke marijuana during treatment, as Accutane can rarely cause mental health problems, which can be worsened by marijuana.
Best Wishes, Eloise.
is there anyone that has taken this medication and can say that it has definately improved their skin problem?
I've been on oratane for the past 5 months. I just completed the course. My skin is now acne free, so yes it worked for me. The side effects are there, it got worse in the first month or so but then it cleared and now I'm fine. , the dryiness of lips, and eyes. But I used eyedrops and bepanthen for my lips. I think its worth it, it just needs patience and perseverance. I had tried everything else so I had nothing to lose. I just hope the acne does not come back, but if it does, I'll do this all over again
Hi, I am also currently on oratane for 1.5 weeks. Improvement is very slow, and i have breakouts in the initial 1st month. And now it still pop out at times, but did not grow till very big, i think oratane sort of control it.
I still keeping my fingers crossed. And i really hope my acne problems can be solved.
Hey, I've just started my second month of oratane, I'm on a four month course and I take 60mg a day. My skin got so clear within a week of starting, and then steadily got worse, but being patient, I waited and its started clearing up again. I do have some scars from when I started the treatment, but I'm not worried, there are so many creams I can use if they don't fade. Think about it this way, its X amount of months (how ever many months you were prescribed) until your skin is clear, compared to not starting the oratane and having bad skin indefinitely. Be patient, use a very mild face wash and a really hydrating cream. I use galderma, it works so well. As for make up, you can still wear it, but don't pile it on obviously, I specifically asked my doc about that. Hope this helps :)
Can you ask your doctor to prescribe oratane for you, or does he have to see that for himself? I have tried everything, even contraceptives!
Hello dollbird! I am currently on Oratane. I had also tryed contraspeptives and another anti biotic before I started this, you can ask your doctor to prescribe you and im most circumstances they will allow it. This is what I did.
I've been on oratane for 5 months but no results I have lost all hope
I have started using Oratane (20 mg per day) for 16 days . My doctor said the acne would break out in the first week & then start to dry and get better,  but actually it has got worse after these 16 days.. should I be more patient? cause I was wondering if the reason of getting worse was that I drank too much coffee in the last 4 days. Does coffee affect acne during the use of oratane? Does oratane have to be taken at a special fixed time every day?
iv just started talking 100mg oratane and i dont feel anything yet
I'm on oratanes its only a month and my fface is so bad .last week it ws clear then I ate chocolate yoh I'm very patient I'm on a six month course I take Mminerva and 40 ml of oratates a day .
Hi everyone, I am currently using Oratane 20g ths is my 4th week n my lips r so dry n I think its taking forever n ma skin is getting better tho. How long r ma lips gona be like this cz dy r so pink n I look weird...
What sort of problem will u have by smoking marijuana
Hi there i'm using Oratane for six months now, my skin is getting better but am worried about my. stomach. It gets bigger and hard. can this peels cause this problem?and what must i do?
Hi I've been on oratane a few years back my skin was great for a long while and now I'm on my second course 60mg and it is the first week my skin is soo dry and everything got worse but its all worth while !! Does any one know of a really good make up that moisterise and give a good cover up for scaring and ance while on oratane
Hey im vuyo from queenstown south africa i've just started using oratane for acne i dont see any improvement and my situation is getting worse...plz help
since you've finish your course, was there any acne scarring and if there was, what measures did you take on clearing them.
It's too soon to see any improvement about your face. I used Roaccutane for 12 months, with a high-dose (started with 40-60 milligrams a day) and It took to make progress about 5-6 months. Now I have a way better face. The best thing that you should do for now, take your medicines in time, and listen your doctor.
Oratane is a generic and cheaper version of your above mentioned medications. So the effects are the same as these whilst on Oratane. I have been using it for 6 weeks now and my acne has not improved as it takes about 8 to 10 weeks to clear up. My mom is a doctor and she prescribed Oratane to me. I am experiencing all of the negative side effects; cracked lips, dry skin and eyes, sunburn, etc. Keep on taking it. Results will show soon!!!

-Megan Penguin.  :)
My son has been taking Oratane for over 3 months its was worse than when we had first started. His lips are dry, headaches and depression. If I could go back we would have asked just for a antibiotic instead, now that specialist has put him on that to and tried to put him on steroids as well. He said no way to steroids, he said I don't want to be like "ooh my acne's disappeared and so has my balls "
I was just prescribed oratane and told to use Yaz the birth control with it. Is this a good idea? I just researched Yaz and extremely worried about the side effects of it. Can I just use Oratane without the birth control
Im taking Oratane too. Im in the third week ady. So far, havent see any result yet but family and friends come to comfort me to tell me that really works on the medicine. They told me it is truely reduce the ance from my face in about 3 weeks. But i didn't really feel that. Im facing dry lip and tiredness. skin turn redness, depression. Stay strong for all fighting against ance!!! Will be end soon in this period!! Don't give up.
where can i get Oratane and how much is it