Acne Community
Infesting break out in scalp, neck, few on face?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

I'm 53 and I have been battling with pimple type festing bumps in my head, behind ears back of neck in hair line. I was and clean up daily. I have fought several Staph infestion over the last 3 years, never had it before that. I've been to GP, and Dermertoglist. I will add my Rx, and med history below. Every time the Dr. would put me on Antibotics for my staph, and about a 1-1 1/2 all the bumps in my head would clear up. After about 2 weeks after stopping they would come back. This has happened several times. Had Amoxcillen and Bactrian. The Dermotogists started me on Bactroban Cream 2%  bid. He told me that he would probably have to give me antibotics to take on a daily basis.  I haven't had any Staph since I started using this cream. I'm sure all the medicines I'm on doesn't help either (see below). It don't help that I can't keep my hands off of them. But if they wasn't there I wouldn't touch them. I  know it's not me picking them that is causing them, when I'm on antibotics they go away. I just haven't been able to go back to Dermotoglist because low of funds. Any help is appriecated. My med history is below.  Thanks, James

Tizanidine (Zanaflex) 4 mg 1-2 qd
Verapamil 20 mg- bid
Gabapentin (Neurontin) 400 mg - bid
Meperidine (Demerol) 50 mg 1-3 qd
Lisino-HCTZ20 12.5 mg qd
Citalopram (Celexa) 20 mg qd
Testosterone CYP 1 ½ cc every 3 wk
Zolpidem (Ambien) 10 mg qd
Bactroban Cream 2% bid
Meloxicam (Mobic) 15 mg – qd
Metformin (Glucophage) 2 ea.500 mg qd

CERVICAL & LUMBAR DEGENERATION, BULGING, & DISC
FACET JOINT DISEASE
SIGNIFICANT SPONDYLOSIS at L2-3 and L3-4 (last x-ray 10/27/11)
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
DIABETES II (Diag. 7/11)
LOW TESTOSTERONE (Diag. 2011)

Surgeries & Procedures
• 01/20/2011 R. SI Joint, and Bilat. Facet Joint, (4) Inj L2-4
• 12/16/2011 R. SI Joint, and Bilat. Facet Joint, (4) Inj L2-4
• 08/09/2011 Left Shoulder Arthroscopy (RC tear/Imping.)
• 06/0/2011 Right SI Joint Injection
• 11/08/2010 Fusion L4-S1 360 w/ hardware
• 08/10/2010 MRI Lumbar w & w/o contrast
• 07/13/2010 T1 cervical epidural steroid injection
• 07/06/2010 Bilateral L2 selective nerve root block
• 2010, 10-20 Discogram
• 06/15/ 2010 EMG test C/W localized neuropathies of both
Ulnar Nerves across the Elbows, Moderate.
• 05/10/2010 Bilateral L4 selective nerve root block
• 2009, 11-20 Select transforamnal epidural
steroid injection L4 bilarterally.
• 08/07/2009 Bilateral facet Joint Injections L2-5.
• 03/2010 Gallbladder Removal Surgery
• 03/2010 Heart Cath. (Avg. 30%)
• 2007 Right Shoulder Arthroscopy (torn tendon)
• 2006 -2007 Right Ankle Surgery 5 Times
• 08/2000 TOS Left Rib Surgery
• 10/2000 Left Shoulder Surgery
• 1995 L4-5 Lamitomaney Surgery
• 1993 Sinus Surgery
• 1983 Chymopapain Injection L4-5
• 1970 Tonsils Surgery
Ok, I worked through the list and pulled out one of my pharmacology books to see I was if missing any potential drug/drug interactions (good and bad). And possible affect of the drug combinations on the Cytochrome P450 enzyme system. There were a couple that had some minor competitor site issues, but nothing that rose to the point of comment.  So here is my conclusion: first, you did not state when you started having the acne/bumps but I wonder if it was around the time you started taking the Testosterone Cypionate injection.  It is a class II (common)side effect of the product (I am not saying it is bad product!). The good news is there are ways to treat it other than just anti-biotics.  Please buy yourself  a quality shampoo that includes coal tar and/or Salicylic Acid. Here are some examples you can find in most drug store: Psoriatrax 5% Coal Tar Shampoo, T-Gel, Denorex Therapeutic. It needs to be used daily when you wash your hair (and you can use it on your face also but KEEP IT OUT OF YOUR EYES!) Keep it in your hair as long as possible, try to put it in when your start your bath and make it the last thing you remove to give it the best chance to sink in.  It may sting or tingle the first week or two as it does its work. At one month you should see wither or not it is helping with the acne and/or the itching .
If you have any trouble finding any of these, talk to your local pharmacist as sometimes they keep the stronger ones behind the counter. Don't worry that does mean that is needs a prescription.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Have a great day.  
Thanks for your help. I've had these bumps in my head for years. Long before I've started Test. or any of the meds I'm on now.  Years ago they would be mostly across my hair line on back head/neck area. They have gotten worse and more in the scalp, around the time a started have staph infestion. More now on the facial areas since Test shots. Thanks and I will start the sampoo. Respectfully, James