Acne Community
Is it normal to have scant dark brown periods during onset of puberty?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

My daughter, 12 years has had radiotherapy to her pituitary gland for treatment of a tumour ( 2.5 years ago). I have seen her endocrine dr who says it is normal to have dark spotting, lasting only 1 or 2 days for months before the normal cycle kicks in. I am not sure, this has happened irregularly for last 4 months and since she has had strong irradiation to the pituitary gland, I am a bit worried. The dr seems to brush my concerns away! I am thinking of seeing another dr. I do not remember this happening to me, nor has it happened to any one else I know who has not had to go through treatment for cancer. I am concerned that her hormones might not be working properly. Can any one please offer any suggestions.  P. s Her tumour was in the muscle pushing into her brain near this gland I in 100,000 people get this and although the tumour had completely gone after  one year , I worry about the effects of the radiotherapy on her fertility in the future.
Hi there!

I understand your concerns but I would agree with your doctor. It is normal to have spotting and irregular periods before the normal cycle kicks in. This should not be anything to worry about. If this continues upto 2 years or the cycle is not regularized till 16 years of age, you may seek consultation with an endocrinologist.
Hope this helps.

Take care!