Acne Community
Itchy patches on my face. Are these inflamed acne scars?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

I have been using olive oil to moisturize my face for the last 3 weeks because someone told me it was good for acne. My pimples were clearing up the first week and I was thrilled but over this past weekend, these small, red patches started appearing all over my face where I had previous acne and started to get inflamed and even itched and stung. It's been like this for 3 days now and the itching is getting better but the bumps are still there. Can you tell me what this is and what I can do to get rid of it? Thanks!
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the red patches. Possibilities that may need to be considered include allergies, infections, inflammations etc. You could try keeping the skin clean and oil-free. Avoid allergens such as dust and wash the face atleast 2-3 times a day with a mild soap. Ointments containing benzoyl peroxide/ clindamycin may also be helpful. If these measures do not seem to help, I would suggest consulting a primary care physician or a dermatologist for appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!