Acne Community
Itchy scalp & head sores

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Itchy scalp & head sores

I am 33 years old and my scalp has been driving me a little crazy. It's itchy and when I scratch, I notice bumps (big & small) bumps (painful sores) on it.

I had this in 2009 for a bit and then, throughout my pregnancy in 2010 it disappeared. Now it's back and far worse than it was before. I've tried cola tar & dandruff shampoos but neither have worked so far.

I did see a dermatologist last year, but by the time I saw him, I had no symptoms so he couldn't help me.

Bumps are along my hairline (I have about 8 right now) and one large one in the very middle of the back of my head. This one has scabbed over and has been there for about a month.

The very top of my head is about the only spot that isn't itchy. Worst spot is above my ears behind my temples.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Jackie

Not sure what to do.
Forgot to mention that the rest of my skin has also been itchy. Not severely...but enough to annoy me.
Hey Jackie!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms and without a definite diagnosis at hand it would be difficult to suggest a management plan. Assuming this to be seborrheic dermatitis, you could try shampoos containing ZPTO such as selsun, which may be effective for mild seborrhea. If this does not seem to be effective you may try using a shampoo with ketocnazole such as Nizoral etc. Do no overuse the shampoo; once a day is fine. Try not keeping the scalp too dry by using a scalp cream or light hair oil. If these measures do not seem to help, I would suggest consulting a dermatologist for an evaluation and appropriate management
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thanks for the info. Just as I started to use your advice, I found out I was pregnant. 6 weeks in now and my scalp issues are gone. Kind of funny that pregnancy is the solution for my scalp issues.