Acne Community
Major acne breakout after going off birth control pill???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

I don't understand why, but I was on Yaz early this year and my skin was beautiful.  I have always been acne prone, but I didn't really breakout on my face much, more my back and chest.  SO, I get migraines due to the Yaz and stop taking it.  My migraines stopped, but I broke out worse than EVER.  I am 32 yo and my acne is taking over my face - especially my forehead.  It is like bumps, that tend to be full of hard, round things - like a plug of oil.  Rarely is it a true whitehead.  Usually full of white material that is not watery and can be really hard - more like a blackhead.

What the heck is it about stopping the YAZ?  I have tried topicl benzoyl peroxide and clindomycin and just finished a course of oral doxycycline.  Nothing - not a bit of help.  

HELP!  I feel hideous and too old for this.
Hi. Acne is caused when androgens (male hormones found in both male and female bodies) stimulate the sebaceous (oil) glands. Certain contraceptive pills (Yaz, Diane35 and Ortho Tri-Cyclen) block the action of androgens are are prescribed to control acne as well as provide birth control.
If you cannot take the pill due to migraines ask your doctor for a gel called Differin. This is a topical synthetic retinoid which counteracts the abnormal skin processes invloved in acne.
Eloise.
*sorry that should have read "involved in acne"
Thank you for yor reply.  I do recall trying Differin in college (I had the same process - birth control stoppage, then acne) and the Differin was okay, Not wonderful, but perhaps I would get a different effect 10 years later.  Thanks again!!
Differin is even more effective when used in conjunction with oral antibiotics such as Oxytetracycline or Erythromycin.
Eloise.
I am 27 years old and I had a similar problem, after being on Birth Control for 5 years I decided to stop.  I had never had acne much as a teenager but within a few months of stoping my BCP my skin had completely broken out.  The antibiotics helped but were only temporary.  It had been nearly a year and no change, I was getting so frustrated and was about to go back on the pill  but decided to do some searching for natural remedies.  I have been taking Evening Primrose Oil to help regulate my hormones again and Echinacea to improve my immune system.  I've been using that for a month and I've seen dramatic results.  My skin is finally clearing!  I use a cleanser with salicyc acid, and the aveeno clear skin moisturizer.  Although my skin is nearly clear, I've also recently started taking a supplement called Acneticin, I've read many things on the internet and this is suppose to be a great internal treatment for acne.  I am finally starting to feel comfortable in my own skin again!  Hope this helps you or anyone else who's having similar problems.
Hi! I had a similar problem where i had been on BC for about 5 years, and after a month of stopping it my skin went crazy! I had breakouts prior to taking the pill, but never this bad. They were big disgusting blister like things. 6 months i've been dealing with this ****. I took antibiotics, that only did so much. But what i found that REALLY helps is taking olive leaf extract. It works to balance your hormones and kill any bacteria like yeast and molds that everyone has a little bit of in their system, but acne sufferers happen to have a significant amount more that our liver can't process out fast enough, plus over production sebum and what not causing bacteria to grow. it also helps fight off infections and a whole list of other things. i never thought about it for my skin, but my friend recommended it, and i noticed a HUGE difference within a weeks time. My skin just totally calmed down, not nearly as red. I can tell its in the healing process. I'd say you've got nothing to loose. Plus i think it's safe to take during pregnancy, but i would definitely check with a doc. first on that one. Good luck everyone!
You may have heard this from your doctor and if you are a coffee drinker this might hurt but believe it cause it's true, my dermatologist told me that caffeine could increased acne.  I didn't believe it but i tested it...everyday for a week i drank it and sure enough i would get a pimple the next day and as soon as i stopped drinking it, it stopped. I do drink it once or twice a week without a problem and adding the BC helped improve my skin.
I got on the pill when I was 26 because I had severe acne since I was a teenager and it cleared up my face amazingly. When I was 30 I decided to get off the pill and to my horror my acne returned after 6 months with a vengence. It was EVERYWHERE and it physically and emotionally hurt. I missed a few days of work and went into hiding a lot. Forget about dating. I couldn't handle it any more. I went back on the pill. At 34 I felt like I wanted to live a clean lifestyle and not be on any medication. I got off the pill again. It's now been 10 months and my skin is actually great!!! I did go through a breakout as my hormones were regulating which ALMOST caused me to go back on the pill but I stuck it out.
The thing that is different this time around than when I was 30 is that now that I'm older my lifestyle has completely changed. I looked deeper into what might be causing my acne. Instead of putting a band-aid over it and taking the pill, I looked at my diet, excercize, stress, level, and cleansers. For my diet I eat less processed foods, no caffine, very little sugar, and lots and lots of fruits and veggies, I work out 3-4 days a week with yoga, I used Proactive for years but it didn't work on me anymore so I asked my dermatologist to give me something. I now use Benzaclin. It's cheaper and works better than Proactive. My skin continues to get better every day, my periods are on schedule so I think I can safely say that the BCPs are out of my system and my skin will only get better from here out.

Good luck!!
Hello ladies,

Thank you all for your helpful stories and comments.  I do feel much much better.  I have been off the pill for the last three months and have been having problems with skin.  I have pimples not only on my face, but also inside my scalp and on my back and chest.  It is awful!!!!
I will try drinking less caffeine and eating more fruits and veggies.
How long will it take for my body to regulate itself???

thanks,

anuta
I have been off for a while now (actually forget) and I have to keep on top of the acne, although it is very slowly improving.  

I wash with a benzoyl peroxide wash, use astringent with salicylic acid and then put on benzoyl peroxide lotion at night with a clear cream that is prescription and starts with a "Z",  Sorry, can't remember them all right now.  

Take care!
I have no doubt in my mind that my severe acne break-out was directly related to me stopping Yasmin. I originally went on it to control my *minimal* acne (on face, chin and back), but when I came off of the pill, it was OUT OF CONTROL. I developed it all over my chin, neck, back and chest within a month of coming off of it, and possibly the worst, most disturbing part was that I developed painful, disgusting little pustules ALL OVER my scalp that bleed, under my hair. It was like a freak show. I have never had them before or since then, so I know it's related to the pill. Needless to say, I went back on Yasmin pretty quickly to stop these effects, though I am now haunted by how unnatural it felt to have that acne appear after I went off the pill. Can't help but wonder if Bayer is completely aware of this strange effect and how it helps their profits. ;)
I have had acne all my life, I am 33 yrs old. For the past 32 years, I tried everything from over the counter to prescriptions, nothing worked. I am fair skin, have oily skin. I believe I have found something that worked. For the past year I have been 95% acne free here is my story.  I now use these over the counter products, Apple cider vinegar as a daily face wash, I dissolve about 5 aspirins as a paste and use it as a mask for ten minutes daily. I also stopped drinking milk, milk produces hormones that can cause acne. I bought this product that's is called "tanda" its a blue light therapy, it works by eliminating bacteria on your face. I believe milk was my biggest cause. Also if your a male and you shave , instead of shaving use a beard trimmer to get a close shave, that way you will not get the irritation from a straight razor. I hope this helps.
All of these comments have been really great!  At least I know I am not the only one suffering from this. 7 yrs ago I went of BC to have my second child. The acne started and continued all through my pregnancy. In the hair, back, face, chest, it was so gross.  After I had my son I continued with the BC and it magically cleared up, maybe a pimple every other week.  Now at 42 I decided to quit taking the pill for health reasons, I am not unhealthy but started having panic attacks which I read may have something to do with pre-menopause.  Anyway, now that I have not taken the pill for 2 months, my face is worse than ever!!  Again I have it on my back, hairline, neck, and a little on my chest.  Not sure what to do at this point.  I have heard some very bad reports recently about how bad accutane is for you as far as bowel disease and liver damage.  Not sure I would risk that one now.  I have tried different face scrubs, peroxide, wearing a light lotion, no lotion.  I think all of the changes are making it worse.  Not sure where to go from here other than the doc. :(    
I went off Yaz back in October 2010 since I had been on birth control since I was 15 (so 11 years, now 26).  Since then I started getting bumps on my neck, back head around my hair line but not so much on my face.  What can I do....Does this last forever?  Any help would be appreciated.  I never had bumps this bad...and they are really painful
I am 30 years old, and last year around May I went off BC. I had been on it since I was 15 years old, in one form or another, and I was considering having a child. Well, my face went crazy. I had had breakouts before, but minor ones. This is nuts. Also got the little pimples on my scalp, so it's embarrassing to go get my hair done, as well as major breakouts on my back - which I have NEVER had before! I used to use Differin, but stopped because the Doc said you can't use it if you want to get pregnant. Well, a month and a half ago, I couldn't take it anymore, so I just went back on the pill. And it hasn't even helped yet! :( So now, I am back on the pill, still have the awful breakouts, and am not sure how the heck I am gonna have kids later on without the scarring breakouts! I mean, these are not little whiteheads, I get really large, deep bumps that stay for a LONG time, even if they never break the skin. It really is traumatizing, and I am desperate for a solution. :( I am right now trying the Murad acne products with benzoyl peroxide from Sephora, but I don't think it's going to work... Really bad face right now :(
Try to stop drinking milk, milk produces hormones that your body can be allergic to. Buy apple cider vinegar and use it as a wash. See if this helps.
I want this forum to be really helpful, seriously, because I'm running out of hope.
I went on birth control, the Ortho Evra Patch, in about 2002. I stayed on it continuously since this last Sept or Oct, 2010. So 8 years I was on it and was getting it through Planned Parenthood as I don't really make much money. A problem with the funding for my services arose that I could not seem to resolve and was going to have to start paying out of pocket for these once more. They were sold at a discount but when you have no money it's still too much. So I decided stop, after much encouragement from my mother who felt I was long over due to take a break and let my body do its thing naturally for a while.
In mid Oct about I really started noticing I was breaking out in a few pimples and thought it was just the hormonal change. However, on 12 Nov we discovered bed bugs in our home started treatment immediately. The last live bug I've seen was on 22 Dec, a dead one in the dryer a week later about. However, I continue to break out worse and worse all over. Especially along my hairline, behind my ears, upper back, middle back, chest, etc. I am very hesitant to say these are not bed bug related but in fact a direct result of the birth control. Wanting now to get back on it and see what happens.
Also started on a nerve medication to treat anger a week before 12 Nov, too. Did not have the same "bite" symptoms initially either. These just gradually got worse after, so wondering if med related.
I think everybody who has the suspicion of acne being caused by directly going off birth control is right in their suspicions. I think part of it is due to our bodies adjusting without extra hormones and regulating itself again and partly due to the birth control. I wash my face with an oil-free acne wash multiple times a day and I have started exfoliating my upper back because I've gotten bad acne there since going off Yaz in December 2010. I use a 2% benzoyl peroxide acne cream on my back as well. I use a loofah in the shower and I think that helps get rid of dead skin cells. I've also had minor bumps on my scalp. Wash sheets regularly and don't wear tight-fitting shirts. Always take a shower after working out.
geez, as a teenager i had perfect skin. i went on BC when i was 20. i stopped 2 years later 'cause i didn't want to take something so unnatural for so long. month later i broke out like crazy, only on face. terrible bumps. i was mortified! i didn't even look anything like myself. i went straight to the dermatologist, tried ever homeopathic remedy i could find. the doc tried several things that just ended up leaving me scarred. as a last resort, he put me on accutane which you need to combine with BC. i gave up and went back on it and, of course, it cleared, but it was the whole reason why i broke out in the first place. i stayed on it for 6 years and stopped at the end of 2009. i had another dermatologist number ready in hand. nothing happened and i thought i was free in clear since i'm 29 now. however, at the end of 2010, i had one or two pimples every now and then around my period. i figure, this is fine, i'm just regulating my hormones after being on BC for so long. 3 months later it just kept getting worse and worse. i am soo unbelievably frustrated! and sick of doctors doing this and that and nothing works. my aunt told me to exfoliate with green tea. and use chamomile oil to sooth it. it seems to bring the redness and swelling down, but i'll let you know. they've already tried 2 antibiotics and clyndamicin gels. who knows? argh!
Well, it's been a while, but I got pregnant in April 2010, my acne disappeared during pregnancy.  My skin was soft and flawless....and dry!  I was very oily before.  Then, I had the baby and I'm having very mild breakouts and I'm oily again, just not as oily as before.  I started back on my benzoyl peroxide wash AND salicylic acid wash.  My acne is manageable now, but I think I'm at the mercy of my hormones mostly.  
i have the same issue, was on BCP for 10 years. Never had acne before the pill and then broke out all over my chin and forehead. As soon as it cleared, i broke out again the following month right before my period.

I talked to my dermatologist and she said it typically takes 4-6 months for your body to get back to normal.

It's been about 3 months for me since i've been off, and it looks like it's clearing up...i'm going in for a superficial chemical peel to help prevent future break outs.

Hope this helps...
I have a great solution!!  I was on Birth control for 20 years.  A year or two ago I accidentally skipped a bunch of pills so I went off of it for about a week or two thinking I would just start a fresh pack - WOW, I broke out in crazy acne, had those big cysts on my jawline etc.  It was awful.  So I went back on the pill immediately and the acne cleared up.  A year or 2 later I decided that it was time to finally go off the pill for good but I was SO scared to do it because of the skin problems.  This is what I did and it worked perfectly:  I started to wean myself off of the pills slowly.  I took a pill every other day for a week or two.  Then I took a pill every third day for another week or two . . .my body didn't freak out because the pill was gradually being taken out of my system.
wow this has been great,now i dont feel like such a freak.i wasnt sure what was going on with me when i had my first breakout on my arms my scalp my neck my back..they are terrible.i am 46 and just got off pill now almost a year and still have bumps.doc said im going through menopause also but i dont want to take those harmful hrts.so trying to do things natural..nothings working.but now from scratching i have made acne scars little brown spots looks terrible..any suggestions on how to get rid of those.
This happened to me also.
I stopped taking ocella like in June and I have recently started breaking out bad. I have been breaking on on my back, forehead and chest.
I am going to start taking the pill again once my next cycle ends I can not take this. I have been acne free for about three years before I stopped taking the ocella.
Slowly going off the pill sounds great. Can you give me an update? How is it going?

I am 33 and have been on the pill since I was 20. I am done with it, I am making changes in every other department, eating good, cutting sugar, cutting caffeine and taking my vitamins....oh and yoga for stress. SOOOOO now I want to get rid of the BC pills and im deathly afraid of the break outs. I am in corporate america and present alot in front of large groups, so I just cant imagine standing in front of a large group of people with acne all over my face.

Any feedback you can offer, I would really appreciate it!

thanks
well i had the same problem of acne then my friend recommended me to use Sebamed Cleansing foam & it really works.... also use a toner & a moisturiser... I'm sure you will see the difference in a week on your face...

my acne has reduced a lot... but yes when i have my periods i do get it on my face but then it clears on its own....

& then i believe that acne is caused due to our lifestyle.... if we don't take proper sleep it reflects on our face through acne.... we should drinks lots of water to get rid of toxins from our body.... so what if you have to use the bathroom lots of times....

hope this would be helpful to all the ladies who have acne problem...

you will get this product from a medical store...

so good luck to all & have a beautiful skin....
hi everyone, 2 months ago i was taken off yazmin as i started to get migraines. However, since i've come off it my skin has become really oily and uneven, lots of bumps under the skin and enlarged pores i feel really hideous. I want to go to the doctor as i've heard acutane works aswell as dianette and yazmin for your skin. I dont think the doctor will prescribe it me as i dont think they will comsider my skin to be as bad as some. Does anyone know anything about this drug and is it only prescribed for bad acne?
I have a very sensitive skin. I tried all products to heal my pimples but nothing worked well for me. One day, I stumbled at an olay regenerist cream cleanser (black one) in my mom's bathroom. The product did not indicate that it was for anti-acne but when i used it regularly my pimples cleared. This was the only thing that worked well for me. Im so happy and thankful.
I too have developed Acne on my back neck and a bit on my hairline after going of Ortho-Cyclen at 32.  The acne varies between white heads, black heads too inflamed hard red bumps.  It has been pretty frustrating as i have not had any really acne problems in my life till now other than minor chest and back breakouts as a teen.  My skin for the most part was pretty low maintenance.  So I had no idea what would work for me, and it was a lot of trial and error for about 5 months.  However, I have found a few things that have helped me keep it under control.  I still get the occasional break out during menstruation, but its usually not nearly as bad as they where in the past.

1.  Washing my face, neck, and upper back with L'Oreal's 360 Clean facial cleanser ( any facial cleanser will do I'm sure )after rinsing out hair conditioner in the shower.  This has in all honesty been the biggest help overall.  Its the last thing I do before i get out of the shower.

2.  Exfolateing 2x's a week with St Ives Microdermabrasion scrub on my face, neck, and back.

3. Washing my face every night before bed with the same cleanser mentioned above. I also use a toner every other night before bed on my face, neck and back.

4.  Finally using a facial moisturizer with 8% glycolic acid every other night, and just a simple non comedogenic facial moisturizer any other time my face needs moisture (right now its ponds).

I have also changed my diet.  I drink less Caffeine, ingest less sugar, and try to eat less processed food.  I was active before the break outs, but now i have a bit more of a motivator on the gym days you just don't feel like going :).  I also take olive leaf extract as a daily supplement, and finds that it helps as well.

I think that acne is different for each individual, and what works for someone else won't necessary work for you.  I hope what i have found works for me will help someone out there.  I also hope you all find a care routine that works for you.
Can you explain more about how you weaned off of the pill?  I am really interested in trying that but want to know the details and how long you did it?

-Alisha
I'm suffering from the same problem. I had been on different birth controls including YAZ for 6 years and I am now in my early 20's and off of BC due to medical complications but my skin is horrible. I am constantly breaking out, like I never have before and mostly around my chin as well. Going back on BC isn't an option for me. Does anyone know how to naturally balance your hormones? Please and thank you!
I'm 32 and got off Yaz in March 2011 and started breaking out like crazy on my chin in September 2011. I went to my dem and she gave me topical Finacea and  Clindamyacin and put me on 80mg Solodyn. The Finacea cleared up the blackheads and seemed to clear pores but I am still breaking out in pimples on my chin about 6 right now. I started taking evening primrose oil, cod liver oil, zinc and selenium in October. The combo of everything seems to be helping about 50%. I use Clairsonic with salicylic/glycolic cleanser I bought from my derm. I just started using Claro device for spot treatment yesterday. I hope it works! I also bought the Tanda blue/red light device, should get it on Friday. I hope one of them works! I am not getting back on Yaz because I want to have a baby in the near(?) future. I hope to god when I get pregnant I don't break out like crazy!  
Someone mentioned above that they were interested in taking acutane. I just wanted to comment on that. I had acne when I was a junior in high school, and then again when I was 27. Both stints of acne happened immediately after going off of birth control. I am now 29, and am in a predicament. My Dr. wants me to go off of birth control because "I could be one headache away from a stroke"!!!! Scary yes? So I should be going off birth control is the bottom line. My fear is that I know what this leads to....severe acne. Acutane is no longer an option for me and this is why...
I have had very serious constipation and fissures since college. My Dr. recently enlightened me that that is probably due to acutane, which makes a lot of sense. It literally dries you from the inside out. When I was on it I had nose bleeds, my lips literally peeled off in large layer (daily), I had headaches constantly because I was so dry. I went to a clinique counter when I was on it, and the make-up woman wouldn't work with me because the oils alone on my face could have harmed her child. She was pregnant, and the oils in my face (that contained acutane) would have caused serious birth defects to her . The bottom line is that this is pretty scary stuff. Yes, my acne went away, but returned years down the line. It is a short term fix and there are very scary side effects that in my personal situation still arise. I wake up in the middle of the night choking sometimes because I feel so dry. I also convinced my Dermatologist to let me go off of acutane one month early because I was so miserable on it.

Anyway, I suppose it might be different with each individual, but from personal experience I HIGHLY recommend staying away from acutane. It is toxic. Start with herbal remedies that will get your hormones balanced. There are a variety of safe ways to do that.

hi there dont no if it helps any one but honestly try manuka honey its natural and the higher the npa number the better thats the strength of the antibacteria in it ,you can use it as a face mask , cleanser and spot treatment overnight works very good , i got hormonal acne im off the pill 6mths now , i recently started using dermalogica aswell seems to be ok as a cleanser but i will admit the honey is much better and natural , also aloe vera gel mixed through it gives it a soothing effect. im also doing the vitamins to virtex angus cactus is good for regulating hormones, als there is a good web site all natural that really helps me especially when im down it www.high on health take a look :)
I'm so glad I stumbled on this forum.  I've been feeling so bad about myself the last few months.  I stopped taking YAZ in August after being on birth control for 10 years.  I didn't have acne before but now I have constant breakouts on my cheeks and huge pores on my forehead.  I even have the occasional cluster of pimples on my chest and back which has NEVER happened before in my life.  I'm starting a new job in 3 weeks and look hideous.  This acne has caused me to have social anxiety and made me feel sad in general.  I've tried every product available to clear it up.  Proactive, Clinique 3 Step for Acne, Clinique Turnaround Instant Facial, Tea Tree Oil, every facewash available, etc, etc.  Since using hundreds of dollars in products has been making zero difference in my skin, I've decided to stop washing my face.  My rational being that if I can't force my skin to be clear using unnatural products, perhaps my skin will help itself if I just let it do what it needs to do naturally.  I've been doing that for 2 weeks now and am noticing a real difference.  I still have pimples- but fewer new ones and the scarring/red marks are starting to go away.  

Here is my routine:
Morning- "wash" face gently with warm water.  Pat dry.  Moisturize with Vitamin E cream to help heal scarring (it won't cause pimples)

After work- Wash off makeup as soon as I get home using warm water and gently rubbing with Cetaphil (or equivalent gentle, non-soap cleanser) for no more than 15 seconds.  Apply Vitamin E Oil directly to scarring.

After working out- in shower rinse face with warm (not hot!!!!) water.  Pat dry when getting out.

Before bed- splash face with warm water and pat dry.  Apply Vitamin E cream.

My other rule is no picking with fingers- actually no touching face with fingers.  I bought an extractor for those times I HAVE to pick and sanitize it with alcohol before doing so.

Note:  I have also been rubbing Sandlewood in Jojoba oil on my face.  The more oil I add the less oil my face wants to produce.  Jojoba oil is very nourishing to the skin and Sandlewood scent is calming.  This is a tip I picked up from another forum and really like.  I also like to use this on my face before Yoga.  

I'm going to try the Evening Primerose and Olive Leaf Extract as suggested by the comments above in addition to my minimalist routine.  I'm hoping going natural is the way out of this ugly mess!!  So far so good!!

What is your status now?  I am experiencing similar issues and don't want to do the pill all over again but it is affecting me mentally to have had such beautiful skin and now my face is so terrible and even scarring at 30.
I am freaking out! i am currentlly on loryna and i MUST get off cause it  is giving me liver problems, but i am sooo scared i will get acne i mean SEVERE acne.. idk if i should just switch or completly get off what do you recomend??
Guess what? I was on the pill for ten years, and everytime I tried getting off, I'd get horrible cystic acne and I ended up getting back on the pill because I just couldn't take the cystic acne. It was painful and made me feel so ugly. Well I did alot of research and found that brewers yeast is a natural cure because of the chromium. I was willing to try anything. PLEASE research brewers yeast online. I started taking BY tabs about a month before my most recent attempt to stop taking BCP. I was pretty skeptical because of the past two times that I tried to get off the pill, and nothing worked. So I got off, and I was anticipating getting the acne, and I still haven't had a breakout!! The brewers yeast works against the acne, and since it was in my system for a month, it countered the acne. I am SO happy!! I hope this helps someone. I saw so many posts about women who got horrible acne when stopping the pill. You must try it!! Google "Brewers yeast and acne", and find out for yourself. I just had to share this information with someone, and hope it helps you!!
Please email me and let me know if this worked for you. I had great results and I hope this helps someone. My email is carmina.***@****.
Please read my post. Brewers yeast will get rid of the acne. I had the same issue as you, and felt so ugly. I just got off the pill a couple of weeks ago, and started brewers yeast tabs about a month before. It counters the acne. If you google "brewers yeast and acne", you will find it. Hope it helps. I'm so impressed with it because I was skeptical about natural remedies. Brewers yeast tabs are also very cheap, but you have to get the tabs where they haven't taken out the chromium.
I've been using depopovera (injection type contraceptives) for 4 years and stopped 4months ago. since last week my skin started being horrible! massive breakouts, acne...and its painful! I always had nice and even skin. After reading all your comments I went to Planet organic shop in London and spoke to one of their sale advisers. Lady recommended taking olive leaf extract and pukka organic range vitamins called shatavari. I also switched from high street brands to organic skincare. i'll see how it goes. also would be interested to hear the usual face routine from people who got over it without prescribed meds.
I am similarly suffering. At 28, I'm too old for this crap. After being on the Ortho Cyclen pill for 10 years straight, I decided to get off it. I had a no-hormone IUD put in and for the 1st month to month and half everything was fine. Then it was terrible... little bumps everywhere, terribly dry skin (after always having been oily), painful cystic acne, it was like my whole face hurt, and im sure my winner status as a picker didn't help. And it isn't just my face... back, scalp, ears, neck. Four months after it started, it's getting better... somewhat. I still have some new bump popping up what feels like every day, but it really does seem to be getting better. First, I realized the Biotin that I was taking (1000 mg) every few days was causing the cystic acne, so I stopped that (seems to be a problem for others too if you google it). Then, I started taking l-lysine and zinc and that helped... particularly the l-lysine. I use a humidifier every night and a heavy lotion (Origins Night-a-mins which I put on a few times a day) and only cetaphil to wash my face. After reading these posts, I am going to try the evening primrose oil, olive leaf extract, and brewer's yeast (couldn't find the tablets with chromium in it so I got the powdered form *sounds yucky)... here's hoping. I refuse to try any BP or SA or any other drying agent because that just makes it much worse and I have tried the doxycyclin / minocyclin in the past and seem to be immune now. And I don't want to get back on the pill... its like its just delaying the inevitable. I'd like to fix the problem from the inside out...
I have been off my birth control pill for one week now. I have tried to go off in the past and suffered extreme breakouts. Going to try it another time and attempt to tough it out for one year. Has anyone tried Isaloz light laser treatment? I'm thinking of trying it if (more like, when) I begin to break out.
Update: Ok it has now been 6.5 months since I went off birth control and 5 months since the acne started. I am happy to say my skin is nearly back to normal. I still get some small pimples around my period, but it is nothing like what I was getting. My skin is no longer dry and overall looks really good most of the time. I went back to using proactive and the aloe night cream from the body shop. I am not taking any more supplements (and yes the brewer's yeast was nasty!).

Keep faith... you'll get there too!
I have to admit, I didn't read the rest of the comments, so I apologize if any of this was repeated, although I highly doubt it. The reason I doubt it is because I use a regimen that is very specific and quite random, BUT IT WORKS.

I got married last year and was put on Yaz in order to assure I had clear skin on my wedding day. I was on it for about two years, and same the same thing happened to me...I was getting such serious migraines that my gyn. told me I need to get off of Yaz immediately because I was at risk of having a stroke at any moment. She didn't want me on birth control at all.

In high school and again when I was 26, I had very serious acne. I was on accutane twice, and refuse to ever go on it again. It was the definition of hell in my personal opinion..although it did work. So when I recently went off of Yaz I was very concerned about my skin. Based on experience, I get severe acne whenever I go off of birth control. Of course about three months after I went off of Yaz I had extreme breakouts.

So I did some research. Because adult acne is mostly hormonal, I decided to change my lifestyle rather than load the Proactiv, retinols, acids, etc. all over my face, since they don't work anyway. I am also trying to conceive so am limited to what dermatology recommended treatments I can use. For example, there are many retinols and prescription drugs I could take, but NOT when trying to get pregnant. So I decided to go all natural...well mostly natural.

Here is what I do, and my skin is back to normal (for the most part...I do still get an occasional zit here and there, but it goes away in a day. I also had severe acne on my back and chest, both of which are now gone).

1. I take primrose, vitamin e, and fish oil supplements morning and night every day. The primose helps return your endocrine system back to normal, which helps with the hormone issue when going off of birth control. The vitamin e and omega 3 fatty acids from the fish oil help with skin. I buy the generic Target brand of all of these.

2. I also use a natural progesterone cream (the brand I use is called Happy PMS. There are many types, but this one is completely natural, which is why I get this brand). You put it on your body every morning and evening. There are specific days you take it, which are in the directions on the bottle. This helps get your NATURAL hormones back in balance. Yaz is very high in estrogen, which is why your skin looked so great when you were on it, but that level of estrogen in your body isn't normal, and it's dangerous. Progesterone cream can go on your arms, legs, feet, etc. It doesn't have to go on your face, but can if you'd like.

3. I exfoliate only once a week. I read this somewhere and thought it was crap, but it really helps. Using it more than once a week can be harsh on your skin causing those small postules to enflame. It is important to exfoliate at least once a week though to sluff off some of the dead skin cells that can clog pores. I use Neutrogena. It's cheap.

4. I wash my face with a mild soap...MILD! There is no need for all of that teenagery harsh soap loaded with alcohol (that dries out your face causing more acne). I use neutrogena foaming cleanser every morning and evening (and use a mild exfoliating scrub on Sundays -- just a random day).

5. After I wash my face I do a facial steam. I read about this somewhere and decided to try it. Boil a pot of water and dump in it your bathroom sink (plug the drain). Put a couple drops of tea tree oil in the hot water, lean your face over the sink, and put a towel over your head to keep in the steam. Sit there for a few minutes and let the steam coat your face. I do this a couple times a week. It helps sweat out some of the nasty toxins in your body and gets a light coating of tea tree oil on your skin. Tea tree oil is completely natural, and is proven to kill bacteria. If I could recommend using just ONE of the pieces of advice I give here, it would be to use tea tree oil. It's magic in my opinion.

6. After the steam I take a moist cotton ball and dab tea tree oil on problem areas (I get my tea tree oil from Trader Joes -- I've tried other ones, and simply like Trader Joes the best).

7. After that I put on a specific face lotion. The brand is Derma-e and the lotion is called "problem skin moisturizer". I got mine at my local co-op, but you can get it online as well. I've read some bad reviews on this product basically saying that it's too thick. I use a very small amount (less than a pea size dab) on my face, and it's wonderful. It's a natural lotion with jojoba oil, tea tree oil, vitamin e, and some other natural ingredients.

8. Finally I use a dab of benzoil peroxide spot treatment on zits that are having a really rough day! I use 10%, but only if I have to. I only use this product if I have a really stubborn or painful zit that I just want gone now. That percentage of benzoil peroxide has died my hair a weird orange color, it stains my towels. I just don't like it, so I do try not to use it. It can also over dry your skin. Use a very small amount if you use it at all.

That's it for my regimen. It does take about 10 mintues every time, so it is annoying and time consuming, but it's worth it in my personal opinion. I mentioned earlier that I did have back and chest acne. All I did with those was put tea tree oil on it on the really bad days and wash it with a benzoil body wash. Now it's gone, and I think in large part because of the things I've done to change my life. Aside from the regimen, I've very deliberately changed my lifestyle. As much as I'd love to say that the regimen above is enough, I don't know that it is. I have changed so much in my life, that I don't know what one thing works well and what doesn't. All I know is that the combination of products I use and the way I live is working, so I just continue to do it all! Try doing the following in addition to a cleansing regimen:

1. The supplements I mentioned earlier, and the progesterone cream I think are the most useful.

2.I've eliminated sugar from my diet almost completely (I use agave nectar in my coffee -- it's sweeter so you don't have to use as much). I've also cut back on dairy and starchy carbs like white bread and donuts. Cutting back on these things has made a noticeable difference -- if I eat a donut today, I'll have a break out in a couple of days. It's that cut and dry. Eat tons of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. You'll notice a huge different not only with your skin but your health in general.

3. Exercise. This is one I wanted to ignore, but I really think it's helped a lot. Not only do I sweat out toxins in my body, but I also reduce stress in my life. I do zumba. It's awesome.

4. Drink tons of water. I always have a water in my hand if I can help it. It's really easy to forget to drink water, but don't let this one go. When I'm dehydrated, I know it because my skin changes.

5. I wash my pillow cases a couple of times a week, I don't use greasy products on my hair, and I NEVER touch my face. I know that one is hard. It feels so great to pick off a white head. But when you touch, scratch, pick, etc. you are getting bacteria in those pores. If you scratched away at a white head, great, but a zit will take it's place. Don't beleive me? Pick at a white head today and see what it looks like tomorrow.

I know this sounds like a lot. I gradually changed my lifestyle and added some components like supplements and progesterone cream. It may not be good to start doing all of this at the same time, I really don't know. I do know though that it does work, so if you have the patience, I'd give it a shot.

Good luck!! I hope this will work for you as well as it did for me.
I got rid of my acne within 2 weeks days.after reading this book http://a14dfaxw6ctjb-47yegsl8b61q.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=ACNE NO MORE

:) I'm sure it will help you out to.
I am having the same problems with the acne on my arms. Not so much my face and anywhere else but just on my arms. I've become very self conscience about this and I don't want to go back on birth control anymore. I am 19 years old and was on it for 4 years. As soon as I stopped the first time the bumps came out. We thought it was scabies but I got back on birth control and it stopped. I've recently stopped taking it again because I was tired of feeling like
I couldn't have my own life without it. And now the bumps are back. Me and my husband are wanting to start trying for a baby but we don't know what I can take to get rid of these bumps that won't hurt a future baby. I'm tired of feeling like I have chicken pocks again and feeling like I'm diseased. Please help.
So I was on Yazmin for 5 years and finally stopped taking it almost a year ago. Before I started the pills, I had blemish-free skin and while on the pill as well! However, within a couple of weeks of stopping them, I began to get acne. This acne has progressively gotten worse over time and still persists (mainly on my forehead, nose and chin). I also got it on my back and chest at first but that has gone away now. After a few months of suffering I finally went on Differin and has helped but not all that well. I still always have breakouts and the medicine only helps them pass more quickly..

I cannot believe that I am still dealing with this and it has severely lowered my self-esteem. I thought I could wait it out.. but I am feeling like there is no end now. I am desperate for something to work!

I live a healthy lifestyle, exercise often, eat healthy (avoid excessive dairy), rarely drink alcohol, and drink plenty of fluids!! I use Cetaphil sensitive face wash because it is not soap and should not strip natural oils from my skin.

I am almost convinced that the birth control really has messed up my hormones and I am looking for a way to regulate them back to normal! What can I do!!?
My 12 yr old has hormonal driven acne. She has been on BC since March....after all the attempts w antibiotics, differin, aczone, clendymiacin? etc. now she has experienced major stomach issues since March. We think these issues are due to the BC. Want to take her off but afraid if acne. Uses cetaphyl and all noncomadegenic products.....any tips to get her weaned from pills? Also...anyone used practive or rodan fields products for hormonal acne?
Hello!  I was wondering if anyone can help me! I've always had acne prone skin, I've been on Accutane twice (the first time it came back so I had to go on for a second time). It's been five years since I've been off accutane and 3 weeks ago my face started breaking out only on my chin and a few days later it became very oily (I haven't seen a drop of oil on my face for 5 years, occasionally I would get a zit or two). I was on Birth Control for 8 months and I had to get off bc I felt like I was going crazy. It's been 6  months since I've stopped the pill and I've had VERY irregular periods (PMS, bloating, cramps etc etc...sometimes for 4 weeks before I actually get my period). Some strange things have been happening with my periods since I've stopped birth control. I should be getting my period any day now so I'm wondering if this could be just another one of the strange things that's been happening!! Is this happening to anyone else? Do you now have oily skin when you didn't before? Would it be related to birth control even if it's been 6 months since I've been off of it?
Hi, I have been off Yaz for a month now & im experiencing break outs like crazy. My forehead is full of red lumps. I really dont know what to do as I have tried several products previously but none helped until I was on the bcp. I really dont want to start the pill again as I want to have a baby soon. I feel like im being forced to go back on it due to the condition of my face. I really feel depressed. Please help.
hi been reading this post flat out over the past year, I decided to come off BC after ten years, had been putting off for ages as was terrified bout acne returning but decided in march to take plunge.
I  was initially put on BC in my late teens after suffering acne, had retin-A gel which works but very very very harsh on skin also was on rocaccuntane but found it very difficult to avoid alcohol ( first year at university) but BC worked amazing, my skin was perfect apart from the odd random spot.
My first 3 months of BC, everything going well then suddenly I had a breakout following my 30 birthday which I put down to celebrating loads over the week, but those spots never went away and my skin just gradually got worse, my GP advised to get tested for PCOs which was all negative, she then said just go back on the pill, as my skin was awful, I kept getting these hard painful lumps that wouldnt go away, somethhimes I would have a itch on my face and I would rub gentlely the next thing another spot would pop up out of nowhere and the pain was awful, def 10 times worse from what I remember when I was in my teens and was getting acne on my back and scalp that I never had before.
Couldnt do it anymore, so  went back on dinette, at the same time I did a bit of research on internet and decided to try reducing dairy in my diet, its something to do with the hormones they give the cows to make them produce milk, as it tricks the cows body into thinking its pregnact to produce the milk??? I started drinking soya milk (which isnt to bad) and within 3 days all the imflammation that I had been experiancing gone. Saying that I would be a huge milk drinker and would of ate a lot of yogarts as well, but I am 100% please with how things are going, my skin is not back to being perfect but its getting there, I have a few scares left (promise I did very little squeezing, it killed me but I tried very hard not to) which I hope will fade over time but my skin currently is very smooth and are easlly covered using vinchy dermafilm make up which I blend with my own foundation.
I get the odd spot, which I had notice aftering eating dairy usually 1-2 days after and had a few after christmas (chocolate), but at this stage milk, butter or any other dairy products will never cross my lips again.
Just wanted to point out was only back on pill bout 4 weeks when I stopped drinking milk and there had been no improvement in my skin infact it had got a lot worse till the point were I could even try and hide with makeup as it made it loads worse.
So going to try stopping the pill again in next month or so and fingers crossed I have found my cure, reaily hope this helps some of you's out there going through same thing, its very diffcult. Good Luck xxx
EPO is a great natural remedy for hormone balancing, and echinacea is a super idea.  I'm going to do a little research on the other internal remedy you mentioned, but probably just going to get some since you've had such great results!!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFORMATION
Hey all, I also am experiencing same old problem - but am trying to conceive so going back on the pill (no matter how tempting) isn't really an option. Have broken out on my chest (and it's summer so I can't wear low cut tops anymore :( and on my forehead) I am seeing results though after putting myself on a detox.

Acne caused from going off the pill is due to excessive testosterone that is no longer being balanced by the estrogen found in BC - the best way to clean your body from this overabundant sex hormone is to do a liver detox program (find a good one at your local health shop - should be at least one week), eat lots and lots of oysters (zinc flushes out hormones and oysters are extremely high in zinc, plus tasty!).... or get pregnant :)

BC's really mess up your hormonal levels and unfortunately Yasmin (which seems to be the recurring BC on this thread) is renowned for high estrogen levels (in future always go with Cerazette BC as this is a progesterone only pill and will therefore not cause this side effect)  

I hope this helps, can't wait to get preggos so that I can have a nice glow again :)

Hi Ladies,

If anyone is interested here is a website about weaning off the pill. My story on weaning so far is there. And there are 100% success stories there... NO ACNE after weaning.

Best of luck. I am currently weaning now and so far no break outs.

http://www.thelovevitamin.com/769/can-you-wean-off-the-birth-control-pill/
Hi all,
I thought I would jump on and post as I was the one searching forums months ago about my problem with hormonal acne after coming off Yaz (and 11years on the pill). I came off in November 2012 and it took until May this year to see my whole body break-out in really painful cystic acne. I scowled the Internet for answers but I'm now on the other side of that (August). So this is what worked for me...

1. Find yourself a genuine, well recommended Chinese practitioner and acupuncturist. It's worth every penny in realigning your whole system.
2. Eat well, get plenty of rest...easier said than done.
3. Jojoba oil (when your pores are closed/cold and a ph/ soap free soap...every day).  The oil tricks your skin into thinking its already produced sebum.
4. After you shower, get yourself a spray bottle of colloidal silver (while your pores are open it's an antibacterial, stops the spread of bacteria)
5. Most importantly ladies...get yourself some maca (magic!) powder. Loving earth do a well priced one and it was by far the turning point in clearing my skin. A teaspoon in a glass of juice can be enough.

No proactive, no chemical and I'm living proof you will get through it! Persistence and listening to your body is the key. I hope in sharing this it may assist some of you that face the disappointment I did at 28 when my skin went haywire. Good luck! P.S. I found that a combination of all these things worked for me, not one thing in isolation...
Thanks to all these comments  because I thought it was just me....3 years after being on Cerazette BC(min pills)I decided to stop taking them for my own good,i used to get mood swings while on pills, I lost my libido but my skin was amazing,soft and very clear. So a week after stopping the pills I got a bad breakout!so bad that everyone who know me was suprised to see me like that,I lost my confident don't even want to look at people's face...that was december last year 2012. My skin continue to get worse breakout on my fore head,my chin and chest,I was almost giving up and wanted to go back on them but I decided to stay strong. It's almost a year now and my skin is still bad,and I have black spots all over my face due to these acne!I'm so upset and I have tried lots of stuff from scrubs, light lotion, lemon juice etc with no success !so I guess even min pills can give you this acne problems if you stop taking them.

I know you had this post a while ago, but was just wondering what dosages of Evening Primerose oil & Echinacea you were using. My arms are so broke out from stopping bc and I am so embarrassed for summer season and short sleeves. The oral medication from my dermatologist isn't doing much and I am looking for any help right now. Thanks!

Bobbie

***@****

Bobbie

***@****