Acne Community
Minocycline Reaction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Minocycline Reaction

I was recently given an increased dosage of minocycline from 150mg per day to 200mg. I have taken this medicine off and on for about one year now. After one week of 200mg I started experiencing severe dizziness and nausea. I immediately stopped treatment and the dizziness subsided within 24 hours. However I have now begun to develop a very itchy rash in between my ring finger and middle finger and on my eye-lid. The rash looks like poison ivy which I used to get very frequently as a child. I noticed the rash two days after ending treatment.

Does anyone know if minocycline is the cause of this rash and what does it mean in general terms? For instance, have I consumed too much of this drug over the last year? Further, I experienced this rash last year when I was on 100mg per day and it resolved itself after a few weeks but doctors initially blamed herpes (which I have tested negative for numerous times) or eczema.  
I doubt the rash that you are experiencing is caused from the Minocin. Usually a rash caused by a drug reaction is more generalized, affecting the trunk of the body, and develops soon after an initial dose.

Hi. Oral antibiotics can cause nausea and vomiting, especially in high doses. What are your results like with other acne treatments, such as topical synthetic retinoids?
Use a bland cleanser such as Physiological gel by La-Roche Posay until your skin has calmed down. If a rash or itching persists, speak to your pharmacist about taking an over-the-counter histamine tablet such as Piriton.
I agree with Stan, that an allergic rash induced by oral antibiotic is usually more generalised affecting the trunk of the body or causing facial flushing. However, if you develop any other problems such as swelling of the tongue or closing of the airways, seek medical advice immediately.
Eloise.