Need affordable alternative(s) to Retin-A
My fiancee (42 year old black male) has suffered from acne off and on since his teens. He's tried countless products with minimal success. He is currently on unemployment because the business he worked for went under. At present time, his acne is so bad he's embarrassed to go interview for jobs or go out in public in general. His self-esteem and confidence are really taking a hit. His doctor prescribed Retin-A for him but there's no way either of us can afford to buy it. (It's more than my car payment!!!) Even if he had insurance (which he does not)most insurance doesn't cover retinol medications because of their other "beauty" uses.

I've been online trying to research alternatives, but I'm just getting more frustrated. Anyone have any helpful suggestions? He needs to get this under control so he can have the confidence to go find a new job. We need to move forward with our plans and goals!
Hi there!

To keep the skin acne free it is advised to keep it clean and oil free at all times. Wash the face atleast 2-3 times a day with a mild soap and keep it adequately moisturized. Avoid stress and take a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. For mild acne one could use ointments containing benzoyl peroxide/ clindamycin (cheaper and less effective than retin-A for cystic acne); while for severer ones it is best advised to consult a dermatologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!