Acne Community
Need some advice on my "folliculitis" situation.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

So lately i have been getting a skin fade haircut (0 or 1 clipper guard, really short) about every 2 weeks or so since the fall semester started to keep well groomed and such and because of that i started to develop a mild case of Folliculitis. It is very mild, just red bumps with no pus or anything you see on the internet. After going to my doctor he gave me oral antibiotics and Hibclens which im on day 2 of and to not get my hair cut so short. But i need some advice because i also have a history of horribly bad seborrheic dermatitis and the way my dermatologist and i found to keep it under control is to have my hair very short. Should i consolt my dermatologist and ask him if i can still get my hair cut short after this clears up? I just dont want my skin to start cracking and getting painful again.
Hi there!

You could get the hair cut short but not very short while shaving is to be avoided altogether. It is also advised to keep the scalp moist at all times by using a scalp cream or light hair oil. For the folliculitis it is advised to continue with the antibiotics, while the use of ointments containing glycolic acid/ salicylic acid may prevent such episodes in future.
              For the seborrhoeic dermatitis you could use shampoos containing ZPTO. If this does not seem to be effective you may try using a shampoo with ketocnazole such as Nizoral etc. If these measures do not seem to help, I would suggest consulting a dermatologist for an evaluation and appropriate management
Hope this helps.

Take care!