Acne Community
Oral sulfa drugs and homepathic oral sulphur/acne treatments

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

After two years of moderate to severe cystic acne (but a lifetime of mild acne punctuated by spurts of cystic acne), I have noticed two things-While I'm in my late 30's, "hormonal" acne treatments etc. DON'T WORK and powerful anitbiotics work FAST & best. My most recent expereinces: using a sulfa based drug for non-skin infections has almost obliterated cystic acne in 4, yes 4 days!!!!!!

I'm wondering if sulfa effects the PH of the skin, better than Minocycline, Erythromicyin etc ?
Having a strong interest in homepathic remedies, and having benefitted from them with mild acne, I wonder if the Hepar Sulph and Sulphur in such remedies also alters the PH level of the skin? Perhaps in a similar way? I know I am highly acidic (all of the women in my family are) and can't help but think this is a key factor in my continued acne problem. Thanks!!!!!
  • Acne + rash (1 replies):
    i have been on many many many many medictaions for the t...[more]
  • is "Minerva" helpful (1 replies):
    Hi!im also suffering from acne and it has been this way ...[more]
  • hair fall (10 replies):
    i lost my hair daily , whenever i take bath more no.s of...[more]
  • Acne (1 replies):
    What is the best treatment for acne?
  • acne problems (1 replies):
    i am suffering from acne from last 3 years.The condition...[more]
Hi.
Acne occurs when androgens (hormones like testosterone) stimulate the sebaceous glands. Bacteria on the skin feeds off this excess oil, blocking the pores and resulting in acne.
The best ways to treat acne are therefore to block the action of androgens, kill the bacteria, or shrink the sebaceous glands.
The official line on anti-androgen contraceptive pills (Yasmin, Diane35 etc) is: These are no more effective than oral antibiotics, but are convenient for women who also require contraception. Where necessary, anti-androgen pills can be taken aswell as oral antibiotics. A barrier method of contraception should be used when BC pills and oral tetracyclines are taken concurrently, as they may reduce contraceptive reliability of the pill.
Some adults may find Erythromycin yields poor results, probably due to bacterial resistance. In older acne patients minocycline, doxycycline, oxytetracycline or lymecycline may be better.
When birth control pills and oral antibiotics have resulted in failure or relapse, oral Isotretinoin (Accutane) virtually always results in excellent or total skin clearance. I appreciate you may not be interested in this synthetic retinoid, but it usually results in a long term remission from acne after just one course lasting 16-24 weeks.
The bottom line is; there is a lack of medical evidence that homepathic remedies are helpful for acne, but I am so glad they have been helpful for you.
Best Wishes, Eloise.