Acne Community
Pain from accutane?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pain from accutane?

I just started accutane about 10 days ago and have been experining some chest pain.  I don't know if these are related, but I heard that chest pain could be a side effect.  Sometimes the pain is pretty intense and goes away.  Has anyone else had this happen to them or can give advice as to what I should do?  After talking to my dermatologist he took me off accutane to see if the pain is related.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
309783_tn?1271961829
Accutane commonly causes joint and muscle pain. But it shouldn't cause chest pains. Has the pain stopped since you discontinued the tablets?
Blank
1181544_tn?1264454661
Yes, it has gone away considerably.  I am going to see a cardiologist on Friday to make sure nothing is seriously wrong, since I got an EKG last week and it came back (somewhat) abnormal.  However, I feel that I should give accutane another try after Friday if the doctor says nothing is serously wrong with heart/chest.  Obviously, if the chest pain comes back again, I will stay off accutane permanently.
Blank
309783_tn?1271961829
Accutane has numerous potential side effects including dry lips and eyes, fragilised skin, psychological problems, intolerance to the sun and muscle/joint pain. However, this must be balanced against the fact that it is the most effective acne treatment available. If your chest pain is related to Accutane this would be very uncommon. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I have not heard of anyone responding to Accutane in this way.
Does your dermatologist have a plan if Accutane is not an option? I assume you have already tried Minocycline/Doxycycline etc?
Eloise.
Blank
1181544_tn?1264454661
Yea, I have tried many things over many years, including Dynacin, Minocycline, etc.  I am sick of these things not working so I wanted to try Acctuane, which I heard was the closest thing to a "lock" to get rid of acne.  After I see the cardiologist, I will talk to my dermatologist to see if there is another direction I can go in.  Although when I called him last week, he said that he has not seen anything like that symptom before from accutane, so maybe the pain was caused by something else, but it's highly unlikely.  I'd like to try it again if the cardiologist clears me of everything serious.  

Thanks for posting.
Blank
1181544_tn?1264454661
So I went to see the cardiologist and he cleared me.  He also said that sometimes accutane causes pain in the lower abdomen, which can push the pain up to the chest region.  I am happy that my heart and everything else was ok.  I am going to get back on the accutane tomorrow, and I am really really hoping I don't have any serious side effects because I don't know the next step if this doesn't' work!
Blank
309783_tn?1271961829

If Accutane is not an option, and antibiotics/topicals have failed, you could look into laser treatment or chemical peels.
Take your Accutane in divided doses (am and pm) with milk or food. Side effects often diminish as your body gets used to the medicine. If side effects are intolerable your dermatologist may reduce the dose for a while.
Good Luck.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Acne Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank