Acne Community
Painful, recurring spot on my nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Painful, recurring spot on my nose

Hello, my name is Alejandro and for the last year and a half i have been dealing with a recurring problem regarding my nose. I am 16 years old, and recently started washing my face on a regular basis. This was largely prompted by a sort of pimple that keeps appearing on my nose in the same spot. It has no visible head at first, and yet is quite painful (so i think its pretty deep down). When a head forms, it is generally white/yellow in color and only grows with time. The skin around it does not get red, however; it only becomes oily. No amount of creams seems to alleviate the problem, and the only way to get rid of it has so far been to cut into it. I know this is probably not the best way of going about the problem, but it has so far been the only effective way. After i pop the growth, my entire nose generally begins to swell and get quite red.

Any help regarding how to avoid these (cysts?) would be fantastic... also... what might they be? from what i've found out myself, they are not in fact pimples, but something else altogether.

What to do once one surfaces would also be great advice.

Thank you!
Tags: spots, nose, cysts, Skin
You must not cut into cysts. Doing so will spread bacteria under the skin, leading to more spots. It will also delay healing time and you risk secondary infection and scarring. Washing alone will not clear acne and over-the-counter products are of limited benefit. Ask your doctor for a prescription strength acne gel such as Duac gel (clindamycin plus benzoyl peroxide) or Differin (adapalene 0.1%). If your acne is severe your doctor may also give you a course of oral antibiotics.
Eloise.