Acne Community
Persistent acne

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Persistent acne

Hi I'm 25 year old and been having history of acne for almost 10 years. Through all these years, I've tried almost everything and spent lots and lots of money. The treatments include Benzoyl Peroxide, topicals, Retin-A, anti-biotic, birth control pills, Murad, tee tree oil and herbal medicines. Among all only birth control helps but I've gained lots of weight and my body is bloatted so I stopped. Nothing helps then. Even tho I only have mild acne, but constant breakout really pisses me off and I'm getting so irritated and hopeless... Is there something, taken internally, can cure this thing? I'm wondering if Derm will prescribe Accutane since it's only mild, but the history is super long!
hello!

i was on accutane last year but that is because i had very horrible cystic acne your doc. will most likely not put you on it since it is only mild, also since your a girl it's alot harder to get put on accutane because of ipledge. Anyway, when i stopped using my birth control (which i only took to help keep my skin clear) my skin got tiny break outs and my doctor put me on a gel name Ziana and a pill called oreacea it works amazing i would check into using those two things and wash with Cetaphil because it's very light and won't interfere with the gel.

i hoped this has helped you.  
Some girls find that the combined pill increases their appetite. If you can find a brand which suits you this will help because acne occurs when androgens (hormones) stimulate the oil glands.
Accutane may be prescribed when standard treatments (oral antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide etc) result in relapse or failure.
Dermatologists have to follow strict guidelines due to the many potential side effects. The severity of acne will be graded according to its appearance. Whether it causes physical scarring or psychological problems will also be taken into account.
Ask your dermatologist if you warrant a course of Accutane. It is sucsessful in over 80% of cases.
Eloise.
Hi there, I'm 24 and I've had acne problems ever since I was 20. I too found that the birth control pill helped with breakouts. And I too, have used e v e r y t h i n g with little to no success. The only thing that has helped me is Proactiv. I've been using it for about a year. I still do get pimples but they are NOTHING like what they used to be. I used to get the huge cystic-like breakouts that are itchy, painful and last for EVER.
10 years is a lot of time, Miao, and your skin has received damage from acne AND from failed treatments. Most likely, if only birth control pills have worked, your acne has a hormonal origin. In these cases, you may need an endocrinologist more than a dermatologist, as your condition requires hormonal regulation. The birth control pills you tried were too strong for you, but this specialist can help you with softer pills or other solutions... so keep up your hope!
Kathleen LeRoi