Acne Community
Pimples in 30s

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Pimples in 30s

Hi, I am a thirty-year-old healthy woman. My problem is that I have never had a clear skin. I used to get a lot of pimples in adolescence and when I was in my early 20s. Recently, I started breaking out like crazy. There not one day when I don't see a new pimple sprouting on my face. I wash my face twice or thrice with soap, I wash it after working out. I have also tried Clinique bar and I am giving a try to Nutragena's 2% Salicylic Acid acne face washing cloths. I admit that I pop my pimples because the pus-filled lesions look gross on the face. Sometimes, I pop blackheads and whiteheads too because to prevent them from turning into pimples. I am very frustrated with this problem of mine and don't know what to do as the pimples are causing scaring. Please help.
Hi. Adult acne affects about 40% of us aged 25 to 40. It is due to either raised androgen levels or a particular sensitivity to the effects of androgens. Androgens stimulate the sebaceous glands which produce sebum. There is no medical evidence that a healthy diet will effect this process one way or the other.
Salicylic acid is not particularly effective at clearing acne. See you doctor for one or more of the following treatments:
Oral antibiotics such as Lymecycline or Oxytetracycline will kill the bacteria which, along with excess sebum, block the sebaceous glands. You will have to take these for about 12 weeks and may require further courses if your tendancy to acne persists.
A topical retinoid such as Differin or Retin-A will clear both acne and blackheads.
Female acne patients will also benefit from taking an oestrogen or anti-androgen contraceptive pill. They should avoid the mini-pill (everyday pill), hormonal IUD and depot-shot as these can induce acne.
Never pop spots as this spreads the bacteria under the skin leading to future breakouts. It seldom improved their appearance and can lead to secondary infection and scarring.
Eloise.