Acne Community
Questions about interactions in my treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

I have a question about my facial cleansing routine.  I suffer from acne all over my face, but especially on my cheeks (from how I sleep or my phone is my best guess. and yes I wash/change my pillowcases and sheets every few days).  My current routine consists of morning: Oil of Olay foaming 2.5% salicylic acid wash, Oil of Olay thermal mini-peel (which contains a small amount of glycolic acid) and then moisturizer with soy and SPF 30.  At night I use PanOxyl 10% benzoyl peroxide face wash cream and 10% alpha hydroxy acid lotion. I know, lots of chemicals.  I've been doing this for little over a month but I'm worried about interactions.  Can I use salicylic acid and glycolic acid together or should I change this?  Do all these things cancel each other out? I've just been piecing together a routine, none of the dedicated '3-step' ones have ever worked for me and actually eliminated the acne on my cheeks, just the T-zone. Any advice or opinions would be very helpful.  Thanks so much.
I suffered with acne for years! I am 28 and still have some breakouts. I went to a dermatologist regularly throughout my teen years trying many different things. Benzoyl peroxide acne treatment cream has been the best thing I have found. You can get it over the counter in a lessor strength made by Acne Free and it will work, but I prefer the prescription strength that you get from your dermatologist and store in the refridgerator. I have two brothers and a sister that have all suffered from moderate to severe acne. My sister and a brother went on acutane before discovering the same thing...washing at night, then benzoyl peroxide over night and washing it off in the morning works best. If the benzoyl peroxide dries out your face too much, you could use a mild lotion occasionally. I don't know if I'd do so much to your face just because irritating the acne will only make it worse.  Washing your face too often isn't good either because the soaps will further agitate your acne, and will overly dry out your skin, which will only cause your face to make more oils. Also, most moisturizers cause breakouts. Too many lotions only add more oils to your face. Face peels can be a good thing but you only need to do them around once a week. Acne is sooo not fun. Good Luck!
Oh, Another thing...wash with Dove bar soap. It doesn't overly dry out your face. I seriously hope this helps. I tried antibiotics, and creams and 3 and 4 step treatments...I even tried Proactive. None of it helped. Acne Free for severe acne...it comes in a 3 or 4 step treatment kit in orange bottles. I only use the morning step...step 2 I think. It's the one with Benzoly Peroxide in it. Only I use it at night, over night and then wash it off in the morning like the Dermatologist had me doing with my Benzamycin perscription. It almost works as well as the perscription the dermatologist gave me when I was a teenager.