Acne Community
Redness,acne,razor burn, ingrown hair zits. Any thing to stop this?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Hello, i've been dealing with acne since I was a teen. Had a lucky break from it in early mid 20's. Now 27 and it decided to come back again. Have been getting non stop redness on cheeks, razor burn, ingrown hair pimples and i'm getting really depressed by how awful I look all the time. Been single for some time now (last Christmas)and thinking  no girls are interested and it is all with how bad my skin looks. I actually started wearing some cream foundation to try and cover all the blemishes, redness and shiny look on my nose that  I often get. It looks a hell of a lot better and noticed more girls look at me in a more positive way and feel alot more confident believe it or not with the make up on but now the make up is causing even more acne. Any tips or remedies to eliminate these issues would be greatly valued. Thank you in advance.
Hi there!

Ingrown hair is a common problem after shaving especially in people with curly hair. The best treatment is avoiding shaving, which may often not be possible. It can be prevented by using a scrub with glycolic acid or salicylic acid, shaving in the direction of hair growth, keep the skin moist at all times by using creams and moisturizers and using an after shave with salicylic acid. You could also opt for permanent hair removal with lasers. You could use tweezers and ointments containing benzoyl peroxide for the already present ingrown hairs. If this does not seem to help I would suggest seeing a dermatologist.
         To keep your skin acne free it is advised to keep it clean and oil free at all times. Wash the area atleast 2-3 times a day with a mild soap and keep it adequately moisturized. For mild acne one could use ointments containing benzoyl peroxide/ clindamycin; while for severer ones it is best advised to consult a dermatologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you very much! This is of great help Dr Kual. Yes, thought about laser hair removal. Isn't it very expensive though? Sounds well worth it. Thank you on all of this info.