Acne Community
Roaccutane
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Roaccutane

Hello, im 17 years old and suffer with moderate acne which has been ongoing for the past 5 years. I have tried many antibiotics and topical treatments throughout the past 5 years, all of which have not worked. I have recently been referred to see a dermatologist as my acne is really getting me down and lowering my confidence. However i am worried, that he/she may not prescribe me roaccutane as my acne is not severe enough. Do dermatologists only prescribe roaccutane for severe acne cases or could i have a chance of being prescribed the drug within the north - east of the uk? I would be most grateful if you could respond as soon as possible, thankyou.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
190673_tn?1259206866
i was prescribed accutane by my physician. The major risk of it is it can make u suicidal. Plus its expencive.
Blank
I'm not sure about the UK but my experience in Australia was that I was prescribed Roaccutane after trying a number of different medications that also didn't work.  I too had mild acne.  I was very down about my skin and was desperate so the dermotologist prescribed the drug after discussing the side affects with me.  I know at least 10 people who have been on Roaccutane and the general consensus is that it works best when the patient has severe acne. For those with mild acne, a second course of treatment may be necessary.  My acne returned after about 2 years (I didn't opt for the second course because I suffered a lot of body aches and pains whilst on Roaccutane [but no depression]).  I have now managed to keep the acne away by taking the contraceptive pill (Juliette, Diane or Brenda etc.) I wish I had tried the pill before taking Roaccutane.  I can empathise with what you're going through and hope that you find some treatment (Roaccutane or other) that helps.  
Blank
309783_tn?1271961829
Hi. In the Uk you should be a candidate for Roaccutane if you have tried anti-biotics for two years and still have acne. Severity has a lot to do with how acne affects you, not just the number of lesions so tell the dermatologist how it gets you down. Your GP will have had experience of liasing with the dermatologist and would not have refered you unless she thought it necessary. As the above post- have you tried Dianette or Yasmin? They are anti-androgen contraceptive pills which clear acne. They can be taken alone or with roaccutane. I have taken roaccutane twice so pls get back with any questions. Loiloi x
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Acne Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...